Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2047 Discussions

Upgraded to RST 16.0.2 OROM - Smart Response Cache+Cached disks 'inaccessible' (!)

PClar1
Beginner

Dear intel

I recently upgraded the UEFI BIOS on my ROG STRIX Z370-G GAMING (WI-FI AC). The latest updated the Intel RAID option ROM version to 16.0.2.3402 from 15.8.0.3109.

It appears with this update, Intel has withdrawn support for Smart Response SSD caching of a drive, as my CACHE disks are listed as 'inaccessible' in the ROM, and I CANNOT BOOT as the system partition is 'inaccessible'.

My problem has been compounded by ASUS apparently disabling downgrading of the BIOS from 0805 onward.

See RST System Report (prior to 16.X OROM) and warning Boot Screen.

Questions:

1) can you confirm Intel has withdrawn support for Smart Response SSD caching?

2) VITALLY: If I reset the disks to non-RAID will I loose the data on the disks? [refer to System report att. for setup]

Keen to get your response at the earliest.

Faithfully,

Sp4rky

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Sp4rky,

Thank you for joining the Intel Community Support.

I understand that the Intel® Smart Response Technology is not working after performing a BIOS update in your system. I would like assist you with this issue.

To answer your first question, I would like to confirm that this technology is not supported on Intel® RST version 16. For this reason, the Intel® Smart Response Technology is no longer working in your system.

I was also reviewing the Intel® RST report attached, and it seems that after performing the BIOS update, the version of Intel® RST was updated, this is the application. However, the RAID option ROM version was not; it is actually 15.8.0.3109. In this case, my recommendation is that you can uninstall the application and install an older version provided by your system manufacturer.

This is the version you can install: 15.9.0.1015

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-Z370-G-GAMING/HelpDesk_Download/

By installing this version, this issue should be fixed. If this problem persists after installing an older version of Intel® RST, please let me know in order to provide further assistance.

I hope you find this information helpful.

Wanner G.
0 Kudos
PClar1
Beginner

Wanner G.

Thanks but sadly, this does not answer my key question,

2) VITALLY: If I reset the disks to non-RAID will I loose the data on the disks?

Further, the Intel® RST report attached was generated BEFORE upgrading the BIOS—it can't be generated if I can't Boot!

Reminder: the key point here is I cannot boot the system.

Again, the the RAID option ROM version is actually 16.0.2.3402 ( not 15.8.0.3109 as before). You state SSD Caching is not supported on Intel® RST version 16, no doubt for Optane marketing reasons. The application version (15.x, 16.x) makes no difference and will not fix the issue, I need to either;

a) revert the Option ROM version to 15.x — but cannot do this without overcoming the apparent UEFI/BIOS downgrade block the on the ROG STRIX Z370-G GAMING (WI-FI AC)]

b) reset the disks to non-RAID as point 2 above. So again: By looking at the Intel® RST report attached

Very disappointed in Intel's removal of a feature in the absence of a technical reason to do. Meanwhile please answer my question; will If I reset the disks to non-RAID will I loose the data on the disks?

Would appreciate if Intel could Please comprehensively review the material sent and respond.

Sp4rky

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Sp4rky,

Thank you for your response. I am sorry I did not address your question before.

According to the report attached, you have a RAID 0 setup in your system. In this case, you will lose data if you delete the RAID Volume. In this scenario, the recommended steps are:

-Back up all your data.

-Delete the RAID volume.

It is worth mentioning that your feedback is highly appreciated.

Wanner G.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Sp4rky,

I hope you found the information provided helpful.

If you have any other question, I will be glad to assist.

Wanner G.
0 Kudos