8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 7, 2018 12:48 PM by PhilippeDoucette

Intel RTF drone lost HDMI output after flashing and calibration

PhilippeDoucette

Intel RTF lost HDMI after flashing the bios.  7/12/2018

From a clean factory Intel RTF drone, I installed all the updates exactly as shown in

02 Initial Setup · intel-aero/meta-intel-aero Wiki · GitHub

and as is documented in the related video:

Autonomous Drone Engineer - C1 - OutOfBox and Flashing - YouTube

It went perfectly, and completed all the updates to all the systems.  The only difference was the version numbers were slightly newer. Drone is still running Yocto

Connected from Ubuntu laptop and Android phone through the drone access point and used QGroundControl to calibrate the sensors.  All went well.

At this point, the HDMI still worked.  The cable and monitor showed the output of the drone's HDMI port.

The drone would not shut off using the power button, so I unplugged it and rebooted.

HDMI would no longer work.

I can do the following:

Connect to the drone with Spectrum DXe RC and arm motors.

Attach Ubuntu laptop and Android phone through the access point Aero-xxxxxxxxxxxx

Connect to drone in QGroundControl

SSH into the drone from Ubuntu laptop

Access drone file system from Ubuntu laptop

I CANNOT do the following:

View video output from HDMI port.  HDMI output has bee tried into several know good monitors (other HDMI feeds worked into these ports)

What can I do to get HDMI working again? What diagnostic steps would help locate the cause?

• 1. Re: Intel RTF drone lost HDMI output after flashing and calibration
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello PhilippeDoucette,

Thank you for your interest in the Intel Aero Ready to Fly drone and we apologize for the delay.

We have come across the same issue as you did in the past, and it was solved by reinstalling the Yocto image on the drone, as it contains the latest version of BIOS.

Please follow the instruction from this link: https://github.com/intel-aero/meta-intel-aero/wiki/02-Initial-Setup#flash-intel-aero-linux-distribution---recommended-method

Please let me know if you need any other information!

Thank you,
          Eliza

• 2. Re: Intel RTF drone lost HDMI output after flashing and calibration
            Intel Corporation

Hello PhilippeDoucette,

Could you please let me know if the solution provided worked and if I can assist you with anything else? 

Thank you,
            Eliza

• 3. Re: Intel RTF drone lost HDMI output after flashing and calibration
              PhilippeDoucette

I was not successful.

I created a USB drive as described with file intel-aero-image-1.6.2.ISO

I followed the following procedure by typing the command, blind, into the drone-keyboard.

image.png

The drone responded as expected, as outlined below, with the LED's blinking and changing color

image.png

I rebooted the drone several times and tried several known-good HDMI cables

I did not follow the rest of the steps outlined in the document:

Flashing the BIOS
              Flashing the FPGA
              Flashing the flight controller

After reboot, the drone appears normal, the LED's are normal.  It flies under RC control.

The HDMI port still does not work.

Is there another way to test the HDMI port?  I can connect remotely from a Linix laptop. Is there some test procedure I can run remote?

• 4. Re: Intel RTF drone lost HDMI output after flashing and calibration
                Intel Corporation

Hello PhilippeDoucette,

Could you please let me know the current output of aero-get-version.py from your connection via SSH.

Also, if it is possible, could you also provide a picture of the hardware setup? How do you power up the drone? 

Thank you,
                Eliza

• 5. Re: Intel RTF drone lost HDMI output after flashing and calibration
                  PhilippeDoucette

HDMI is still not functional.

As stated previously, I followed the procedure:

Flashing Intel Aero Linux Distribution

I used SSH from a Linux laptop to access the drone.

The output of aero-get-version.py:

BIOS_VERSION = unknown
                  OS_VERSION = Poky Aero (Intel Aero linux distro) v1.6.2 (pyro)
                  AIRMAP_VERSION = 1.8
                  FPGA_VERSION =
                  unknown
                  Aero FC Firmware Version =
                  unknown

Clearly this is wrong so I followed the procedures:

Flashing the BIOS

Flashing the Flight Controller (RTF only)

I did not flash the FPGA, as the version number was correct after I flashed the BIOS.

Final output of aero-get-version.py:

BIOS_VERSION = Aero-01.00.16
                  OS_VERSION = Poky Aero (Intel Aero linux distro) v1.6.2 (pyro)
                  AIRMAP_VERSION = 1.8
                  FPGA_VERSION = 0xc2
                  Aero FC Firmware Version = 1.6.5

Photo of power adapter is attached.  Here is the link:

Longdex AC 100-240V 50/60Hz Output DC 12V 4A Power Adapter

Input: AC 100-240V 50/60Hz

Output: DC 12V 4A, 48W

HDMI Cables:

LinkS Micro HDMI To VGA Adapter/Cable/Converter (Male To Female)Supports Audio,Come With 3.5MM Stereo Cable:…

GoPro Micro HDMI to HDMI Male. This is from a GoPro Hero 3.

I can test the GoPro cable by removing the Micro HDMI connection from the drone and plunging it into a GoPro, thus confirming the connection to the monitor.

It is possible that the HDMI port on the drone was damaged during calibration, as I rotated the drone by hand with the HDMI to VGA converter attached and damaged the converter.  I was able to replace the converter with the GoPro HDMI cable and that then worked, so I assume the drone HDMI is not physically damaged. I purchased a replacement VGA converter, which I am now using.

HDMI is still not functional.  Is there an LED on the board or a Linux command the will confirm the HDMI operation?

• 6. Re: Intel RTF drone lost HDMI output after flashing and calibration
                    PhilippeDoucette

HDMI worked briefly.

Here is what happened:

1. Disconnected drone from power supply and all other cables.

2. Disconnected power supply from line voltage.

3. Reconnected power cable to drone, and plugged in power supply.

4. Plugged in HDMI to VGA converter into drone and into older VGA-only flat screen monitor.

5. Blue Intel BIOS screen appeared in monitor, followed by boot menu, and then terminal. (A normal boot process!)

6. Plugged USB keyboard into drone.

7. Keyboard typing appears in terminal.

8. Type "reboot" into terminal and press Enter key.

9. Monitor goes dark as expected.

10. An effort is made to not move any cables during reboot process.

11. Monitor does not return from reboot with BIOS screen or any other indication.

After waiting for several minutes...

12. Power-down and reboot drone with power button.  This works normally. However...

13. Monitor does not respond and stays dark with no signal.

14. Attempt many combinations of rebooting by unplugging keyboard, monitor, and power supply while trying to recreate the exact sequence that led to the one successful boot.

15. I even tried turning off any laptop or phone that would connect via the drone's WiFi access point.

It might be worth mentioning that at one point I had video feedback working in QGroundControl.  I don't know if the video systems might interfere with each other. I cannot test this as QGroundControl no longer connects to the drone, from my phone or laptop (both worked prior), even though QGroundControl runs on the laptop that I use to successfully SSH into to the drone through the drone's access point.

At this point...

HDMI is still not functional.

• 7. Re: Intel RTF drone lost HDMI output after flashing and calibration
                      Intel Corporation

Hello PhilippeDoucette,

Thank you for the information provided.

Could you please use a Li-Po battery to power up the drone? We need to make sure that the power supply is not causing the issue. The specifications for the Li-Po batteries can be found on: https://github.com/intel-aero/meta-intel-aero/wiki/01-About-Intel-Aero#powering-the-intel-aero-ready-to-fly-drone-for-developers 

Also, could you please explain what do you mean by "I was able to replace the converter with the GoPro HDMI cable and that then worked" ? Does that mean that the HDMI output works with that cable but not with the adapter? HDMI output works with that cable but not with the adapter?

Thank you in advance,
                      Eliza

• 8. Re: Intel RTF drone lost HDMI output after flashing and calibration
                        PhilippeDoucette
                        Could you please use a Li-Po battery to power up the drone? We need to make sure that the power supply is not causing the issue.

As per your request, I powered the drone with a Li-Po battery. The battery meets specifications.  It is fully charged.  I have used this battery to fly the drone.

HDMI does not work.

20180807_123852.jpg

Also, could you please explain what do you mean by "I was able to replace the converter with the GoPro HDMI cable and that then worked" ? Does that mean that the HDMI output works with that cable but not with the adapter? HDMI output works with that cable but not with the adapter?

I have two HDMI cables attached to two different monitors. Both cable/monitors have worked in the past.  Neither works now.

Sorry for the confusion. I was just trying to state that I do not believe the connector on the drone is damaged.

I don't know if this is related, but QGroundControl for Android v3.3.2 returns this error:

Parameters are missing from firmware. You may be running a version of firmware QGC does not work correctly with or your firmware has a bug in it.

Missing params:

1:CAL_GYRO0_ID, 1:CAL_GYRO0_ID,1:CAL_GYRO0_ID, -1:CAL_GYRO0_ID, -1:CAL_GYRO0_ID

The Android version of QGC connects via Wi-Fi, but is very unstable and freezes within a minute or so.  It is not stable enough to complete the compass calibration.

The Ubuntu version of QGC will not connect via Wi-Fi or directly with a USB cable.  The message "Waiting For Vehicle Connection" never resolves.

The Windows 10 version QGC will not connect via Wi-Fi or directly with a USB cable.  The message "Waiting For Vehicle Connection" never resolves.

Here is the Windows 10 connection details:

Name: Ethernet 2

Description: USB Ethernet/RNDIS Gadget

Physical address (MAC): 86:40:34:6e:ce:5b

Maximum transmission unit: 1500

IPv4 address: 192.168.7.15/24

IPv6 address: fe80::9cf7:5dfa:9d9:ec27%38/64

DNS servers: fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1, fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1, fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1

Connectivity (IPv4/IPv6): Connected to unknown network, no traffic                          

Name: Wi-Fi

Description: The Broadcom 802.11 Network Adapter provides wireless local area networking.

Physical address (MAC): 00:23:4d:34:8f:45

Maximum transmission unit: 1500

Link speed (Receive/Transmit): 270/54 (Mbps)

DHCP enabled: Yes

DHCP servers: 192.168.8.1

DHCP lease obtained: Tuesday, August 7, 2018 2:40:25 PM

DHCP lease expires: Tuesday, August 7, 2018 3:40:25 PM

IPv4 address: 192.168.8.91/24

IPv6 address: fe80::eca0:ec0e:d8ce:50b4%17/64

Default gateway: 192.168.8.1

DNS servers: 192.168.8.1

DNS domain name:

DNS connection suffix:

DNS search suffix list:

Network name: Aero-00C2C6D31058

Network category: Public

Connectivity (IPv4/IPv6): Connected to local network / Connected to unknown network

The current state is:

HDMI does not work

QGC 3.3.2 does not connect to drone from Linux or Windows.  Unstable from Android