Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20494 Discussions

No HDR on Intel UHD 620 with Kaby Lake

AEbra2
Novice

Hello, I have an Asus Desktop PC and I'm connecting via the DisplayPort using a DisplayPort to HDMI 2.0 cable to my Samsung 2018 Q7 QLED TV which supports 4K HDR.

I can get 3840x2160 @ 50Hz output to the TV without issues but I can't enable HDR. I've tried to update all the drivers and have read the forums and tried everything but can't get an option to enable HDR. Under the dxdiag it says "HDR Support: Not Supported".

I've attached a full dxdiag report to this and would appreciate any help from anyone to get this working.

Thank you.

18 Replies
AEbra2
Novice

I also attach additional diagnostics from the Intel Utilities.

Thanks in advance for any help.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello aebrahim,

Thank you for joining the Intel Community Support.

I understand that you are having issues enabling HDR. I would like to help you.

First, it is recommended to have the latest System BIOS that includes the latest version of:

Intel® Manageability Engine Firmware 11.7.4.3314 or newer

Intel® Security Guard Extensions 1.8.100.38781 or newer

For this reason, you can try installing the latest Management Engine Interface.

https://www.asus.com/Mini-PCs/VivoMini-UN68U/HelpDesk_Download/

Also, you can check with the adapter manufacturer if it supports HDR. However, a straight through connection with a cable is desired.

Keep in mind that you can also active Native HDR Mode on Windows (see attachment).

I hope you find this information helpful.

Wanner G.
0 Kudos
AEbra2
Novice

Hello Wanner,

I do have the latest system BIOS and the Intel ME firmware is 11.8.xxx so newer than the version mentioned. I have also made sure that SGX is enabled in the BIOS and I have installed the SGX driver software from Intel.

Currently, I am using version 11.7.0.1057 of the Intel MEI driver which is newer than the version required in the HDR whitepaper from November 2017.

The cable runs direct from the DisplayPort to the HDMI port of my computer. It is a new cable supporting HDMI 2.0.

I know how to enable HDR from the Display Control Panel but the problem is that I don't get that option at all as it says that my video card does not support HDR in dxdiag. I believe that this can't be correct as the Intel UHD 620 should support HDR and I have all the right components in place as per the white paper.

Can someone help me find what is missing?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
AEbra2
Novice

I have also updated the system to the newly released 24.20.100.6194 driver to no avail.

0 Kudos
AEbra2
Novice

I also tried to delete entirely and reinstall the video driver, also to no avail.

Still no HDR support shown.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi, I am also facing issues with Windows HDR and Samsung. I am talking with Intel support in here:

Just one comment from my side as per my last weeks findings.

You said that you are using a DisplayPort (PC) to HDMI (TV) cable.

This Cable is maybe integrating a DP to HDMI converter IC called LSPCON... and here comes the issue...

As per Intel HDR Whitepaper there are two different ICs out there at this point,

My computer is integrating the one from Parade:

https://www.paradetech.com/products/ps175/ https://www.paradetech.com/products/ps175/

I have received this week a Firmware upgrade for that IC from Zotac (my computer manufacturer).

According Intel HDR Whitepaper a 0x23 minimun FW version is required for HDR.

My IC was 0x20 and I´ve received 0x24.

The thing is, you need to assure that your Cable is not having an old firmware version because you will face HDR incompatibility.

Best regards

0 Kudos
AEbra2
Novice

Thanks for your input. The DisplayPort to HDMI cable I'm using is marketed as "HDMI 2.0" but I am not 100% sure if this means it supports HDR. I have ordered one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077JB28KM Amazon.com: Club3D CAC-1080 Active DisplayPort 1.4 to HDMI 2.0b HDR Adapter (support displays up to 4k/UHD/4096x2160 @60…

and will use a Belkin High Speed (48Gbps) HDMI cable to then connect to the TV, so hopefully once that arrives I'll be 100% sure it's not a cabling issue as both the DisplayPort 1.4 to HDMI 2.0b and the HDMI cable itself are built for 4K HDR.

But in the meantime I'm still not convinced that it's an cable issue because dxdiag reports that my graphics card does not support HDR (that can't be right) and also shows that the Samsung TV is HDR capable.

Also, my processor is Coffee Lake (not Kaby Lake as mentioned in title).

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I am also having same DxDiag results:

- HDR Support: Not Supported

- Monitor Capabilities: HDR Supported (BT2020RGB BT2020YCC Eotf2084Supported )

- Advanced Color: Not Supported

- Display Color Space: DXGI_COLOR_SPACE_RGB_FULL_G22_NONE_P709

Why are you stating that it says that HDR is not supported by your graphic card? Do you think that "HDR Support" and "Advanced Color" are related to Intel Graphics and not to Display TV? That´s is something that I have been trying to figure it our these days... I mean, why I am getting Monitor capabilities as HDR supported but I do not have HDR and Advanced Color Support!

I have seen some DxDiags from people that are able to activate HDR and under 'Monitor Capabilities' they have these differences:

- Monitor Advanced Color Capabilities: BT2020RGB BT2020YCC Eotf2084Supported AdvancedColorSupported AdvancedColorEnabled

- Display Color Space: DXGI_COLOR_SPACE_RGB_FULL_G2084_NONE_P2020

As you see, main difference is that their TVs/Monitors are reporting those AdvancedColor capabilities. I am starting to think that there are some issues with our Samsung TVs reporting Advanced Color characteristics.

@Intel what´s your feeling in here?

In other hand, if you consider to connect your TV to your PC through HDMI then you need also to check that your HDMI computer port is a 2.0 and if an internal bridge is used - LSPCon - is updated to an HDR compatible firmware. I know, this is a nightmare!

0 Kudos
AEbra2
Novice

HDR Support: Not Supported

^^^ I think the above is related to Display Adapter (i.e. Intel UHD 620)

Monitor Capabilities: HDR Supported (BT2020RGB BT2020YCC Eotf2084Supported )

^^^ I think above is related to Monitor

If I am correct this makes no sense as Intel UHD 620 supports HDR, or it should.

If someone from Intel could give some input that would be useful.

0 Kudos
S61
Beginner

If your Displayport = version 1.2 then there lies the problem of no HDR support. You need > DP1.2 (1.3/1.4) for HDR.

Edit: DP 1.2, so no HDR with this device.

- Video Ports 1x HDMI 1.4 (4K@30Hz), 1x Display Port 1.2 (4K@60Hz)

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello all,

I would like to add that enabling High Dynamic Range requires HDR content, a source device capable of HDR playback, and an HDR monitor or TV. In other words, even if you have 7th Gen Intel Core processor platforms, or newer, an HDR-compatible TV is needed. This also requires HDMI2.0a or DP1.3 compliant, high-quality cables.

Additionally, you can check the Summary of HDR usages and dependencies to make sure you have all you need to experience High Dynamic Range (attachment).

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/graphics/HDR_Intel_Graphics_TechWhitePaper.pdf

I hope you find this information helpful.

Wanner G.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello all,

Were you able to enable HDR in your systems?

If you still need any assistance, I will be glad to assist you.

Wanner G.
0 Kudos
AEbra2
Novice

I was finally able to enable HDR by doing the following:

Using this dongle to plug into my DisplayPort and convert to HDMI signal:

https://www.club-3d.com/en/detail/2442/displayport_1.4_to_hdmi_2.0b_hdr/ Club 3D | DisplayPort 1.4 to HDMI 2.0b HDR

and then using this HDMI cable to go from the dongle's HDMI port to the TV:

http://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-AV10175/ http://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-AV10175/

This allows me to enable 2160p @ 60Hz with HDR and get a signal on the TV.

However, I find the drivers somewhat buggy, when the computer boots up often the screen's white balance is messed up (usually too bright, or sometimes too dark, and it takes a short while to "correct" itself), or playing with the HDR/WCG slider for brightness for SDR apps "fixes" the issue even if you just reset it to the "same" setting as it was previously. I wonder/hope if a future driver update will fix this.

Also a tip: after I got HDR working I found that Netflix would only play at 1080p @ 30Hz @ 8bpc and would not go higher than this. After a lot of head scratching I realised that it's because Microsoft (naturally...) decided not to include the HEVC video codecs in Windows by default, a very user unfriendly decision to ship a crippled configuration by default. After installing this:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/hevc-video-extensions-from-device-manufacturer/9n4wgh0z6vhq Get HEVC Video Extensions from Device Manufacturer - Microsoft Store

Netflix begin to work in 2160p @ 60Hz @ 10bpc.

So, I did manage to get it working by ensuring everything in the chain including the DisplayPort to HDMI dongle can handle HDR, but I am still plagued by some driver issues that I assume that only Intel can do something about. I am using the latest Intel display drivers.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello aebrahim,

Thank your for sharing the steps taken to successfully enable HDR on a system with Intel® UHD Graphics 620. Hopefully, other users having the same issue will benefit from this information.

Now, because you have the latest graphics driver, please keep checking our Download Center for future releases. I will update this thread if additional information about white balance in a display can be added.

Wanner G.
0 Kudos
CKANT1
Beginner

Hi , i face the same problem .

So you made it with display port 1.2 out from your pc and an adapter 1.4 to hdmi 2.0?

So why intel says in HDR white paper that a dp 1.3 is necessary (Do you hear Intel people?)

Pls tell me , when did the HDR slider appear in display settings? When did you connect the adapter?

Because you had the adapter connected before this and you had no HDR option. What actions did you take in order the HDR option to appear ?

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

Hi chriskan22,

So far I do not think there is an error in our documentation stating that DP 1.3 is the minimum requirement for HDR.

Digging deeper into this situation, unfortunately I couldn't confirm which DP revision is included in the https://www.asus.com/Mini-PCs/VivoMini-UN68U/specifications/ Asus VivoMini-UN68U system, at least is not clearly noted in the product site. Perhaps it is DP 1.3 or DP 1.4 and that is why aebrahim was able to make it work with the https://www.club-3d.com/en/detail/2442/displayport_1.4_to_hdmi_2.0b_hdr/ Club3D Display Port 1.4 to HDMI 2.0b HDR adapter

What I found interesting is that even the adapter itself clearly mentions that the source system needs to support DisplayPort™ 1.4 for HDR to work.

Best Regards,

Ronald M.

0 Kudos
CKANT1
Beginner

Hi , Aebrahim has an uhd620 which supports 1 edp 1.3 , 1 hdmi 1.4 and 1 dp 1.2 so his dp is 1.2.Pls tell me how did he make it.

Additionaly a made a question to vesa.org which designed display port and display port over usb c.

They say that dp 1.2 is ok for HDR: "You cannot change from DP 1.2 feature set to 1.3 via FW, it requires new hardware. I have done HDR using Intel GFX with 1.2 feature set; higher version DP is not required. I will attend a Thunderbolt test event next week where I will have equipment to try C-DP HDR."

0 Kudos
MOlse
Beginner

Hi CKANT1,

I have a laptop with Intel HD Graphics 630 (which, according to specs, also has a DP 1.2 output via USB-C), so I wanted to ask you: did you manage to get 4K HDR working using your Intel graphics with DP 1.2 output?

0 Kudos