1 2 Previous Next 21 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2018 7:25 AM by dcb222

auto brightness

dcb222

Can someone please read this thread over at HP and let me know if there is a solution to my problem?  I am going crazy with this auto-dimming on Windows 10. 

Adaptive Brightness Not working after recent Windows 10 upda... - HP Support Forum - 6747240

• 1. Re: auto brightness
          dcb222

This involves my Intel HD Graphics 620.  After the last Windows update, I no longer have the Intel HD application to adjust the auto-dimming screen.  I have tried everything to turn off the auto-brightness and nothing has worked.  Help!

• 2. Re: auto brightness
            Intel Corporation
            This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello dcb222

Thank you for joining the community.

In order to help you better, I would like to gather more information about the configuration you have on the computer.  Please attach to this thread the TXT file the Intel® System Support Utility will generate: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility
            Steps to save the report:

1.  Run the utility.
            2. Click on “Scan” to get the scanned system.
            3. Once the scan is complete click on “next”.
            4. Use the “save” option, save the report to your desktop.
            5. To attach a file, you must click the “Attach” option on the bottom right-hand corner of the response box.

I would recommend completing a clean installation of the graphics diver; please refer to the following to download the lasted version for the Intel® HD Graphics 620 (https://downloadmirror.intel.com/27847/a08/win64_24.20.100.6136.zip) please bear in mind that this driver is the generic diver for the graphics controller on your system, once you have downloaded the driver take your system out of internet connection to complete the uninstall/install the graphics drivers, please follow these steps to uninstall the graphics diver:

1. On the keyboard, press WinLogo key + R, then type in devmgmt.msc
            2. Expand the Display Adapters section.
            3. Find the Intel® Graphics Driver. The driver can also be called the Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator Driver (Intel® GMA Driver).
            4. Right-click the Intel Graphics Driver and select Uninstall.
            5. Select the checkbox Delete the driver software for this device.
            6. Reboot the computer after the uninstall process has finished.

Once the system is rebooted go back to the to the previous steps to verify if there are other versions of drivers, if you have any please repeat the steps until you get the Microsoft basic display adapter.

Once you get the Microsoft basic display adapter please follow these steps in order to update the graphics driver:
            1. Use the .zip file that you downloaded previously.
            2. Unzip the file to a designated location or folder.
            3. Right-click on the Windows Start icon and open Device Manager.
            4. Click “Yes” when prompted for permission from User Account Control.
            5. Expand the Display adapters section.
            6. Right-click the Intel® graphics entry and select Update Driver Software.
            7. Click “Browse my computer for driver software”.
            8. Click “Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer”.
            9. Click “Have Disk”.
            10. Click “Browse”.
            11. Access the designated location or folder, and access a folder called “Graphics”.
            12. Select the file called “igdlh64” or “igdlh”.
            13. Click Open, then click OK, and finally click “Next”. Drivers are now being installed.
            14. Reboot your computer.
            15. 1And let me know if you have any issues during the installation.  
            Hope this help.

Regards,
            Leonardo C.
            • 3. Re: auto brightness
              dcb222

Thank you sir.

First things first - please see the attached file.  Let me know if there is anything therein that I need to know before I proceed with the next steps.

• 4. Re: auto brightness
                Intel Corporation

Hello dcb222

Thank you for your response.

Looking in to the report I see that you are ruining the system with the graphics .4836 I recommend to test the generic Intel driver on your system to try to find a solution to your situation, by the way, try to complete the diver update with the graphics version 24.20.100.6194 (https://downloadmirror.intel.com/27892/a08/win64_24.20.100.6194.zip) that was published yesterday instead of the 6136 that I provided. 

I would also recommend having bout power savings settings (plug and unplug) with the same brightness values to avoid changes when plugging and unplugging the system.

Regards,
                Leonardo C.

• 5. Re: auto brightness
                  dcb222

Hello,

Following your instructions, I have now gotten to step #5: Expand the Display adapters section.

Problem is, after deleting the Intel Graphics 620 driver, there is no longer a Display adapters section: see attached

• 6. Re: auto brightness
                    dcb222

Please respond ASAP - computer has no driver.

• 7. Re: auto brightness
                      dcb222

After several reboots, computer seems to have reinstalled driver by itself.  Display Adapter is now back in the device manager.  Please advise.

• 8. Re: auto brightness
                        Intel Corporation

Hello dcb222

Once the reboot is done no display adapter was found in this case, I would recommend trying to selecting in the device manager the option view>show hidden devices to verify that you have the Microsoft basic display adapter and then complete the installation of graphics diver.

Regards,
                        Leonardo C.

• 9. Re: auto brightness
                          dcb222

Please see below.  This is what it looks like when I show hidden devices:

• 10. Re: auto brightness
                            dcb222

OK, I think I figured it out.  Does this look right?

• 11. Re: auto brightness
                              Intel Corporation

Hello dcb222

Looking into the picture attached I see that the driver should have been installed correctly. I would like to verify if you have tested the system?

Regards,
                              Leonardo C.

• 12. Re: auto brightness
                                dcb222

I still don't have the Intel HD Graphics App, so I still can't turn off the adaptive brightness.

• 13. Re: auto brightness
                                  Intel Corporation

Hello dcb222

Given the steps that have been performed on the case, I would recommend going back to your previous version of Windows in order to test if you can get access to Intel® HD graphics control panel. 

Please refer to the following link for help on how to go back to your previous version of Windows.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12415/windows-10-recovery-options

Regards,
                                  Leonardo C.

• 14. Re: auto brightness
                                    dcb222

I beg your pardon, but if i roll back to a previous version of Windows, it will just update again. 

1 2 Previous Next