8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2018 8:01 AM by dgonano

No screen in BIOS

dgonano

Hi,

I've followed all the instructions to update yocto, fpga, bios etc to the latest versions.

I'd like to install Ubuntu 16.04 so I've made a bootable USB. The issues start when I try and connect HDMI screen to the aero.

When i connect it running yocto, it works fine and i get the command prompt. When I reboot and press ESC to enter bios (to boot from USB) I get a blank black screen forever... how do you boot from USB to install Ubuntu?

BIOS 1.0.16

OS 1.6.2

FPGA 0xC2

Thanks

Dion

• 1. Re: No screen in BIOS
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi dgonano,

Thank you for your interest in the Intel Aero drone.
          Could you try this with a different USB stick and let me know if this problem persists?

Regards,
          Alexandra

• 2. Re: No screen in BIOS
            dgonano

Hi Alexandra,

The issue is that I can't even see a BIOS screen, I haven't got to the boot from USB section yet. Pressing ESC just gives a blank screen

Thanks

DIon

• 3. Re: No screen in BIOS
              Intel Corporation

Hi dgonano,

But you can still run Yocto, right? I still think you should try this again with a different USB stick.
              Can you give me more details about your set-up? Do you have the board or the drone? 

Regards,
              Alexandra

• 4. Re: No screen in BIOS
                dgonano

Hi Alexandra,

Yes I can run the currently installed Yocto fine. I have tried with a different USB and the result was the same.

I have the RTF Drone.

What is the expected behaviour when attempting to start BIOS (by pressing ESC) with and without a bootable usb inserted?

This is my expectation:

* No key press, No USB -> Boots into Yocto (PASS)

* No key press, USB inserted -> Boots into Yocto (PASS)

* Press ESC, No USB -> Either boot into Yocto or show BIOS screen (FAIL, blank black screen)

* Press ESC, USB inserted -> Either boot to USB or show BIOS to select USB (FAIL, blank black screen)

Thanks

Dion

• 5. Re: No screen in BIOS
                  Intel Corporation

Hello Dion,

The expected behavior is to enter BIOS without the bootable USB inserted. With the USB when you press ESC you should only get the install option and when you press enter the Ubuntu installation should start. 
                  Could you try BIOS 1.13? Something might have gone wrong when you flashed the BIOS.

Regards,
                  Alexandra

• 6. Re: No screen in BIOS
                    dgonano

I installed BIOS 1.00.13 and it installed fine, although I didn't see anything on the screed during installation like the instructions say I should.

Didn't fix the problem though, still no screen when I press ESC (usb or no usb).

• 7. Re: No screen in BIOS
                      Intel Corporation

Hello Dion,

Did you see this behavior prior to updating OS to 1.6.2?
                      Could you try a different monitor and a different Micro HDMI to standard HDMI cable?  The BIOS screen should appear when you press ESC. 

Regards,
                      Alexandra

• 8. Re: No screen in BIOS
                        dgonano

I downgraded to BIOS 1.00.13 which i'm not sure if it helped or not.

There seems to be an issues with the HDMI driver with compatibility and hotplug, I had two screens I was trying

1. Hotplug worked, and would show yocto cmd line but not show any bios HDMI output

2. Hotplug doesn't work but would show BIOS output.

Pretty poor HDMI setup on the aero, both screens are known to be working fine. led to a lot of confusion and frustration