Intel vPro® Platform
Intel Manageability Forum for Intel® EMA, AMT, SCS & Manageability Commander
2827 Discussions

PXE winpe cannot operate with the disk while remote pxe command by AMT: RemoteControl.exe. PXE Linux works fine.

YBosh
Beginner

Hello dear experts,

We have automated the Operate System deployment of an Intel devices: DELL 7040/7050 computers. We use Linux PXE deployment and we have 2 OS being deployed: Linux Ubuntu and Win10 RS3 (WinPE developed).

We use AMT utilities to perform the remote commands, NetworkAdmin.exe and RemoteControl.exe, taken from SDK source: http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/download-the-latest-intel-amt-software-development-kit-sdk

and it works fine through "mono" tool in linux:

"/usr/bin/mono /data/tools/automation/win/amt/bin/RemoteControl.exe -setbootsource pxe -host ${IP} -user admin -pass ${PS}"

"/usr/bin/mono /data/tools/automation/win/amt/bin/RemoteControl.exe -changepower busreset -host ${IP} -user admin -pass ${PS}"

Problem Summary:

When we boot the system to deploy Win10 OS by the approach, above. System boots PXE, start downloading and raise up the winpe image. But Windows installation fails in the Disk stage, warns: "Setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate an existing system partition. See the setup log files for more information". Due to the logs the disk was found and the partition has been created. I see it also by: "DISKPART> select Disk 0 -> list partition".

While, when I boot PXE manually (by F12) using AMT console and selecting PXE in boot sequence, system boots and installs fine and no any warnings.

This problem also does not meet in Linux OS automation or manual deployment by a same approach. Works excellent and no any trouble.

0 Kudos
31 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi open2yb,

Thank you for contacting Intel Customer Support.

Windows* 10 operating system is not installing while using AMT and the operating system disk. Please let us review your case and provide you with a workaround.

Regards,

Miguel C.

Intel Customer Support
0 Kudos
YBosh
Beginner

Hi Miguel,

Looks like when we deploy Linux OS, managing PXE boot by a remote commands through AMT, no any problem.

While we do the same for Win10, it also boots, open Winpe image, but the installation stuck in the stage of writing on the local disk of the device. Same approach for Win10, but just manually boot PXE through the same AMT (not by remote commands) does not face any problem: System boots, open Winpe image and operate with the disk as well.

How do you explain the issue? Any idea to work around?

Thanks in advance,

Yuri

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello open2yb,

I am sorry for the delays.

But could you help me gather a little more information.
  • When trying the installation process, are doing a clean install or you already have windows installed.
  • Also, have you try a different windows image or a different windows version.

Thank you for your help.

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello open2yb,

I am sorry for the delays.

But could you help me gather a little more information?
  • When trying the installation process, are doing a clean install or you already have windows installed.
  • Also, have you try a different windows image or a different windows version.
  • Also, version AMT been use
  • And version of Remote application uses to manage the installation.

Thank you for your help.

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello open2yb,

I will like to follow up and verify if you had the opportunity to verify the information requeste. With the answers we will be able to provide you with solution to your question.

Thank you for your help.

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos
YBosh
Beginner

Hey Henry,

Thanks for replying me and here are the answers, in below:

1. When we trying the installation process, we always use the clean install, even we have the disk, previously installed by any of OS: Linux or Win10.

2. We experience the installation with Win 10 PRO, 1607, 1703, 1709 and 1803, based on a same winpe image, taken from Windows Software Development KIT

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/downloads/windows-10-sdk Windows 10 SDK - Windows app development

3. AMT version. To manage restart and boot PXE, we use the binary tools (see the URL link in the message above), at least: RemoteControl.exe and the version: v4.0.30319

4. The installation provides by Linux PXE kick start. No any special APIs or other tools.

Thanks and best regards,

Yuri

0 Kudos
YBosh
Beginner

Hi Henry,

In addition I took the deployment tools for Windows at Win 10 Assessment and deployment kit (ADK), might be it also will help to find a right solution.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/yongrhee/2015/08/11/download-windows-10-assessment-and-deployment-kit-adk/ Download: Windows 10 Assessment and Deployment Kit (ADK) – Yong Rhee's Microsoft Technet Blog

Thanks,

Yuri

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello open2yb,

Thank you for the updated information.

Could you please provide me with the AMT version uses with RemoteControl.exe.

Thank you for your help.

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos
YBosh
Beginner

Hi Henry,

Per your request, when I run: RemoteControl.exe it represent the version: v4.0.30319.

And AMT version is: V11.0.0.0010/Intel (R) v11.6.29.3287 - taken from the MEBx login screen.

We use the bios revision: 1.5.2

Please, let me know in order to supply me more info.

Thanks,

Yuri

0 Kudos
YBosh
Beginner

Hi Henry,

Right after, we were updated the BIOS revision to 1.9.2 (official DELL web site)

We got the numbers at MEBx login screen:

v11.0.0.0010/Intel (R) ME v11.8.50.3460

which is suppose to be latest.

Thanks in advance,

Yuri

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello open2yb,

This information will help even better.

I am going to check if there are any compatibility issues within the versions.

Please allow me some time.

Thank you for your help.

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello open2yb,

This information will help even better.

I am going to check if there are any compatibility issues within the versions.

Please allow me some time.

Also, I will recommend you to double check the follow manual.

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/motherboards/desktop/sb/intelmebxsettings_v02.pdf https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/motherboards/desktop/sb/intelmebxsettings_v02.pdf

Also, the following link from Microsoft could help you with configuration:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc431452.aspx https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc431452.aspx

Thank you for your help.

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello open2yb,

After verifying all the information provided.

We will recommend to do the following:

- Use DiskPart or some other tool to remove all existing partitions on the target disk and retry the installation

- Change this command: "/usr/bin/mono /data/tools/automation/win/amt/bin/RemoteControl.exe -changepower busreset -host ${IP} -user admin -pass ${PS}" to "/usr/bin/mono /data/tools/automation/win/amt/bin/RemoteControl.exe -changepower powercycle -host ${IP} -user admin -pass ${PS}" and retry

Once the system restarts to due to the second RemoteControl.exe command.

Thank you for your help.

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos
YBosh
Beginner

Hello Henry,

Thank you for getting me back. According to your recommendations:

- "powercycle" option of RemoteControl.exe totally does not perform the computer restart. I tried several times, this option does not do anything. Only "busreset" resets the system. Do you have any other version of RemoteControl.exe bin file to send it to me for check?

- I previously cleaned the disk, removing all partitions. When I start the installation, it created the partitions (as usual), but cannot after operate with the disk, warned the same popup error. Please, see the xml code which I use for unattended process. I attached the file.

Just remind you again, this is totally works, when I manually reboot the computer, then select by "F12" the PXE option.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello open2yb,

I understand the RemoteControl.exe doe does not have the power cycle option.

But we wanted to verify if the HDD partition might have problems that cause the installation of the OS via PXE.

Also, have you try using other remote control application to manage the remote installation.

You could try a program like MeshCommander.

Thank you for your help.

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello open2yb,

I just wanted to follow up on your case.

And check if you had the opportunity to manually run DiskPart or any other utility to erase the partition on your Storage device.

Thank you for your help.

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello open2yb,

I wanted to see if you had the opportunity to manually run DiskPart or any other utility to erase the partition on your Storage device. The try the Remote configuration.

Thank you for your help.

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello open2yb,

I wanted to see if you had the opportunity to manually run DiskPart or any other utility to erase the partition on your Storage device. Then try the Remote configuration.

I am afraid if we don't hear back from you in a few days I will need to proceed to close the threat.

Thank you for your help.

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello open2yb,

I just wanted to follow up on your case.

And check if you had the opportunity to manually run DiskPart or any other utility to erase the partition on your Storage device.

Thank you for your help.

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos
YBosh
Beginner

Hey Henry,

I keep getting the alerts saying about your reply. But I do not see your emails posted in "Intel" email box.

I already mentioned I tried to deploy the system, previously cleaned all partitions by DISKPART tool. No any success, we still keep

trouble for the same issue.

Waiting for your professional answer.

Thanks,

Yuri

0 Kudos