Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7429 Discussions

I Installed Intel Dual Band Wireless AC 7260 w/Bluetooth onto my low-end, 5yr old HP All In One. It worked, at first.

JToro2
Beginner

I was so prepared. I had uninstalled and erased all traces of that single band RaLink. The downloads were ready to be installed as soon as that card was in installed and PC put back together. But, MSFT Updates were faster than me and those old Drivers and files worked just fine. The only thing I couldn't do was get anything to network. I had time to get one Tablet onto the 5G plan. OMG. 40 down/20 up! I wasn't getting that on a hardwired, single band PC, ever. Just got Fiber to the Node, pair bonded copper to the house. 140 down/20 down up with landline DSL and newer, faster dual band modem. Still had to fix the network. Then PC crashed, BSOD and blamed Windows! I unplugged PC and rebooted and all was fine again except the network card was longer putting out 5G's. Geez. I untethered PC, uninstalled the card, I reset defaults in wireless on the modem, and rebooted. Then only set up the 2.4 GHz. Retetherd the PC, reinstalled the network card and had it install drivers. It installed windows drivers and Intel .sys files. Again, in Device Manager was "working Properly". Brought modem back up to 5G's, all's good then PC freezes. Logs saw a bug. Rebooted. Modem, PC, and card still OK except no network!

I went crying to Intel and on their website they employed the Utility Driver and Support Assistant. A quick scan and the card had the wrong drivers. That .sys file was version 16.xx.xx and could use version 18.33.xx. all installed and they (Intel) declared the card was functioning. They were never really there and they were gone. I didn't know what to do. I did check in Device Manager and it wasn't working. In properties "the device cannot start (Code 10). Operation Failed. The Requested operation was unsuccessful." No software. 4 programs in programs and features that can't be used there, only uninstalled. In Control Panel I found Intel Tool for importing profiles. Huh? I couldn't even find my own network. I downloaded and ran the System Support Utility and can attach it here.

So,that's my story. I thought I had the only un-upgradeable PC. But, 5 years later a half mini express wireless network ..... I don't know what happened. P.S. I'm Jan

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello JanDT,

We understand you installed an Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 in your Laptop and after multiple actions, you are getting an error Code 10 in Device Manager. We would like to inform that custom integration of Intel® Wireless Adapters are not supported nor recommended. It is important to understand that it may not work due to hardware or software compatibility issues or dependencies.

You should always contact the Computer Manufacturer Support to determine which adapters are supported by your system and replace it with their Authorized Service Provided if possible. Please review the following documents:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005846/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html Why Doesn't My Laptop Recognize My New Intel® Wireless Adapter?

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005687/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html Regulatory Information Regarding Wireless Hardware Installation or Upgrade

In our best effort, you may try the steps for a https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000022173/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html Clean Installation of Wireless Drivers. Make sure you use https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27850/Wireless-Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windows-8-1-?product=75439 Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for Windows 8.1* version 20.60.0.

Regards,

Jonathan B.
JToro2
Beginner

Hello Intel, Thanks for responding.

First: this is not a LAPTOP. It's a Desktop PC. HP Pavilion All-In-One (AIO) 20-b013w. I am the original owner and have performed no custom integrations.

I installed the Intel Dual Band Wireless AC 7260 onto my Desktop PC. It's an HP 20-b013w. I did this through recommendations from HP (OEM) and HP SUPPORT

HP Part # 710661-001 PCI express half-length mini card (supports 2 antenna connections)

and your Intel Dual Band Wireless AC 7260 was the only recommended wireless card ( though one source said I couldn't install an Intel card on an AMD platform).

Second: I will not download/install anything until I receive instructions on how to properly un-install and delete all current Intel drivers, software and programs from my Desktop and the wireless card.

(sorry, I looked at your response again and saw the link for clean installation of wireless drivers. I'll take a look after I send this)

So, I need Intel PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for Windows 8.1 for Desktop. Pretty sure that's what I downloaded the first time.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
JToro2
Beginner

Hello again Intel.

I followed the 'Clean install of Wireless Drivers" Link.

After reboot and then installing the downloaded "Intel PROSet/Wireless Software with Drivers for Windows 8.1" PC suffered a BSOD. PC had a problem/Restart error: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT.

PC couldn't/wouln't restart. I was able to get into Windows troubleshooting and restart from a System Restore Point that I had previously set up.

PC restored. At Desktop screen the mouse when pointed and clicked, produced no action/function. For example: R click window key, access charms for settings-Control Panel or even Restart.

Because I was in Desktop Mode I performed a Hard Restart which brought PC up again. Mouse now functions. All of this took hours to recover from.

I followed "Clean Install of Wireless Drivers" again. Had to because of System Restore. Even re-downloaded "Intel PROSet/Wireless Software with Drivers for Windows 8.1".

Reboot, then install "Intel PROSet/Wireless Software with Drivers for Windows 8.1" . This time it worked but I am getting same results.

Device Manager-Properties-Device cannot start (Code 10)

Operation Failed

The requested operation was unsuccessful

And, no network.

When I revert back to MSFT drivers, in properties I now see: Device working properly.

I can connect devices, but only to 2.4 GHz. The 5 GHz won't connect and the Modem and Intel card still don't "see each other".

So, should I re-install my Ralink RT5390R wireless adapter and just let the Modem shout out the 5G's available?

Is there way to use the Intel Dual Band Wireless AC-7260 plus Bluetooth in single band mode? Remove an antenna or ?

Please, help me.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello JanDT,

Thank you for the update. If the connectivity issues and error Code 10 persist after the clean driver installation, then it may indicate problems in the Operating System, or a compatibility issue. At this point, we strongly advise you to https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp Contact HP Support for further assistance, they will be able to confirm any additional steps that may be required when replacing the original adapter of your AiO desktop PC with the AC 7260. Additionally, you might want to try installing their drivers, as they may have altered the features, incorporated customizations, or made other changes to the software or hardware of the adapter they provide.

* Please be aware that links to 3rd party websites are offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel* for the merchants or services offered there.*

Regarding your question about using the adapter in single band mode. Both antennas have to remain connected, as they are used to improve connectivity for both bands at the same time. However, you may try disabling some 5 GHz options in the https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005585/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html Advanced Intel® Wireless Adapter Settings:

- 802.11a/b/g Wireless Mode or Wireless Mode

802.11b and 802.11g: Connect the wireless adapter to 802.11b and 802.11g networks only.

- 802.11n/ac Wireless Mode or HT Mode:

HT mode or 802.11n (enable 802.11n data rates)

We hope this helps and you are able to obtain assistance from the Computer Manufacturer Support.

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos