13 Replies Latest reply on Sep 27, 2018 1:40 PM by rguevara

Withdrawal of Express BIOS updates

MrEv

intel_corp

The withdrawal of the Express BIOS updates for new versions means that there appears to be no way to remotely update system firmware on NUCs that don't support AMT (which is almost every model).

What solution does Intel have for those who need to update firmware remotely (i.e. without being physically present at the machine)?

This is a serious issue that has the potential to become an emergency if there's a sudden requirement to update firmware on Intel NUCs - for example if serious security flaws are discovered. I would appreciate a proper, thoughtful response from Intel on this issue.

• 1. Re: Withdrawal of Express BIOS updates
          JNRW

I entirely agree with you but not for reasons of remote upgrading but for reasons of sheer convenience.

I, too, hope Intel take note of our two different requirements on the same subject and reinstate the Express method of upgrading BIOS.

1 of 2 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Withdrawal of Express BIOS updates
            Intel Corporation
            This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello MrEv,

I understand your position regarding the express BIOS option being removed. 

I am currently investigating about this and I will be contacting you back as soon as possible, please allow me some time. 

Regards,
            David V

• 4. Re: Withdrawal of Express BIOS updates
              MrEv

Thanks for the link - your post was very interesting.

It's concerning that issues you describe as 'severe' have caused the withdrawal of the Express BIOS system, and I hope that Intel genuinely understands the importance of the capability. Now we're all running the risk that the cure might prove to be worse than the disease, and presumably the underlying interface that the Windows application was using to upload the replacement firmware is still present anyway.
              1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 5. Re: Withdrawal of Express BIOS updates
                rguevara

Hi MrEv,

Intel is currently investigating the best option to mitigate this issue, the Express BIOS Update installer (.eb.exe) was removed on recent BIOS releases, we really apologize for the inconvenience.

I will keep you posted on any progress we make.

Regards,

Ronny G

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 6. Re: Withdrawal of Express BIOS updates
                  rguevara

Hi MrEv,

I have confirmation that a new software tool with similar functions as Express BIOS Update tool is in development.

The release date is not available for now, it will published once available and.

I apologize for the inconvenience this is causing you.

Regards,

Ronny G

3 of 3 people found this helpful
                  • 7. Re: Withdrawal of Express BIOS updates
                    MOWCJ

Hello Ronny G,

most of us who have the responsibility to deploy security fixes ASAP in companies are in need of that new tool. Too bad that some of that fixes require a BIOS update.
                    Since the sudden removal of the "express BIOS" update option we need that alternative as soon as yesterday! I can assure you this unresolved issue has a direct impact in our future decisions whether to choose a NUC or not...

Regards,

CJ

• 8. Re: Withdrawal of Express BIOS updates
                      MrEv

That's great news - good job!

(Sorry, didn't receive an alert for your response, so I didn't know you'd replied until just now.)

• 9. Re: Withdrawal of Express BIOS updates
                        rguevara

Hi MOWCJ, MrEv,

We totally understand the situation and we are currently working on getting an alternative solution for this specific issue, unfortunately I dont have any additional information to share at this point but I will come back to this post whenever we have an update.

Regards,

Ronny G

• 10. Re: Withdrawal of Express BIOS updates
                          MOWCJ

Hi Ronny,

it's been more than one month now and we still are waiting for anything to happen. Please make some pressure @Elitegroup or whoever is responsible for all the stuff surrounding the production of the NUCs to make this work again as it should.

Since beginning of this thread a) all those latest _important_ BIOS updates haven't been installed b) no more NUCs have been bought...

Come on, this is Intel, one of the biggest tech companies worldwide!

• 11. Re: Withdrawal of Express BIOS updates
                            Intel Corporation
                            This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello MOWCJ

We are still working on providing more information about this request.

We will get back to you as soon as we have any update.

Wanner G. 

• 12. Re: Withdrawal of Express BIOS updates
                              rguevara

Hi MOWCJ,

I totally understand your comments and I apologize for the delay in getting this tool available. I keep on asking for a timeline as to when this tool will be ready but still in progress, the development team is still working on the process to bundle up new BIOS versions into the utility, so it’s not quite ready yet but I have seen it already. Their current process is very time consuming.

Regards,

Ronny G

• 13. Re: Withdrawal of Express BIOS updates
                                rguevara

Hi MrEv, MOWCJ et all,

The release of the new tool to replace Express BIOS Update (EBU) is going to take time, several weeks I am guessing, I still haven't heard of when but I want to set up the right expectations with you.

Having said that, I am keeping this community under my radar so that whenever I hear anything I will come back and let you all know about it but I am closing the internal case I created for this issue as there is not much I can do at this point.

I really apologize for the delay in getting this request resolved and thanks for your patience and understanding.

Regards,

Ronny G