1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Apr 24, 2011 3:55 PM by Flying_Kiwi

DG45ID - No Sound - Windows 7 64 Bit - Help!

fullmoon

Intel MB DG45ID

Windows 7 64 bit OS

4G Ram

NVidia 8600GTS

Bios 129 (Latest Available)

I cannot use the onboard sound. I've tried every known Bios option (including several different BIOS), I've tried the IDT High Def Audio Drivers (both v178 and V182). I tried using the Microsoft HD Audio with no success. I've enabled and/or disabled about every onboard option/feature in an attempt to identify the problem, with no luck. The Onboard Audio will only recognize the S/PDIF as the default audio output. The speakers output are indicated as not being plugged in (but they are).  Also no sound from the Headphone Output either.  What am I missing.

Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated since I cannot listen to any music (unless I go SPDIF).

Thanks -- David

• 1. Re: DG45ID - No Sound - Windows 7 64 Bit - Help!
          yanqiang

The audio driver from Win7 should work, or you can try this one: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=13706&ProdId=2806&lang=eng, ignore it is not a driver for Win7...

Good luck!

• 2. Re: DG45ID - No Sound - Windows 7 64 Bit - Help!
            fullmoon

Thanks Yanqiang,

But the legacy driver refused to install under Windows 7 64 bit. Again I tried every trick to install the driver but no cigars. BTW the standard MS Win 7 64 bit drivers work no better than the IDT drivers. The only recognized output is SPDIF. The only additional card I am using is a NVidia 8600 PCIE graphics card.

Somehow I can't believe I am the only one that is having this problem with the onboard sound.

Intel, (or anyone else) I would appreciate some help

Thanks David

• 3. Re: DG45ID - No Sound - Windows 7 64 Bit - Help!
              Victor_Intel

Hi, at this Intel Management Engine I will like you to try some troubleshooting steps:

1. 1. Disable audio in BIOS before the installing Windows:

2. During boot, enter the BIOS setup by pressing F2.
              3. Disable audio on the Advanced > Peripheral Configuration menu.
              4. Press F10 to Save and Exit.
              5. Install Windows.

6. Install the latest Service Pack for your version of Windows.
              7. Install the Intel® Chipset Software Installation Utility (INF Utility).
              8. Install all of rest of the latest drivers for your board, EXCEPT the audio driver.
              9. Re-enable audio in BIOS:
                • During boot, enter the BIOS setup by pressing F2.
                • Enable audio on the Advanced > Peripheral Configuration menu.
                • Press F10 to Save and Exit.
              10. Restart the system and cancel any “new hardware found” messages.
              11. Install the latest audio driver.
              12. Restart the system.

You can also find these steps at the following web site:

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-020642.htm#driversfail

If the problem continues, try removing your front panel audio connector and testing the motherboard out of the chassis.

PV.

• 4. Re: DG45ID - No Sound - Windows 7 64 Bit - Help!
                mg165

I'm having the same kind of problem with the dg45id. New Home build .Q8400 processor,  I did all of your sugesstions you recomended. IDT drivers. I have tried everything and a going crazy.  all is perfect except the sound. I disabled audio in bios, installed all drivers except audio, reboot, bios enable audio, latest driver. still not working. PLEASE PLEASE Intel, HELP.

• 5. Re: DG45ID - No Sound - Windows 7 64 Bit - Help!
                  mechbob

Check in device Mang. look at your sound devices and see if any are disabled?? check properties of all.

• 6. Re: DG45ID - No Sound - Windows 7 64 Bit - Help!
                    mg165

I needed to get this build up and running ASAP.  I spent all night searching the web, forums and that was when I left this comment. I came to one conclusion. The DG series has some inherant problems. The problem seems to affect a large proportion of boards.

Early on I did the disable enable exersize.

Lets cut to the chase. The onboard sound chip was/is defective.  I disabled it, put in a cheap ($30)  Rocketfish, win7 compatable sound card for the test. All is well.

• 7. Re: DG45ID - No Sound - Windows 7 64 Bit - Help!
                      mechbob

IS it still under warranty you could RMA it if you can do with out for about two weeks.

• 8. Re: DG45ID - No Sound - Windows 7 64 Bit - Help!
                        logicWorker

My Intel DG45ID audio driver was working, then it stopped after receiving Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit updates and Microsoft Security Essentials.

1. Clean install of Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit on DG45ID.
                        2. Installed Intel Chipset driver, followed by all other Intel drivers and applications including audio driver.
                        3. Headphones worked fine from rear jack. That's the only audio-out device I tried. Intel audio app worked fine from my system tray. I could configure audio settings.
                        4. Installed all available Microsoft Windows 7 Important updates and Recommended updates.
                        5. Installed Microsoft Security Essentials.
                        6. I noticed that audio is no longer working. The audio icon in the system tray now has an X next to it. I can't get audio to work anymore. However, the Intel Desktop Utilities is working and claims the audio device is fine.
                        7. I removed the Intel audio driver by using the proper control panel.
                        8. I reinstalled the Intel audio driver. Audio is still not working.

It appears that the Intel audio driver is incompatible with one of the Windows 7 updates or Security Essentials. Or, the installation order is significant.

This weekend, I'll try following the special instructions that include installing the Windows 7 patches before installing the Intel drivers.

• 9. Re: DG45ID - No Sound - Windows 7 64 Bit - Help!
                          mg165

I did an upgrade including a DG45ID.  Recomended as a great board for video editing and I could use my old DDR2 memory. I paid $85 so I could not resist.

I installed win7 pro 64 bit and had the same problem. After clean installing twice I brought the computer to a friend who found that the audio chip/segment of the board was DOA.  I could have easily returned the board but we decided that the easiest action was to buy a cheap ($24) soundboard from Best Buy. After disableing the sound on boot, I installed the board and had sound imediately.

Do yourself a favor and unless you feel like rebuildin your box, just go for the quick remedy. I'm 2 months into this and all is well.

Good luck.

Mark

• 10. Re: DG45ID - No Sound - Windows 7 64 Bit - Help!
                            logicWorker

mg165,

Are you using an external video card, or are you using the built-in video? The reason I ask is that there appears to be a different set of problems associated with video cards competing for audio under Windows 7. I'm using an external video card (Radeon HD2600XT). If you're also using an external video card, then I would feel more confident that your solution will work for me. Thank you for the reply.

logicWorker

• 11. Re: DG45ID - No Sound - Windows 7 64 Bit - Help!

Dear Logicworker,

My intension for this build was to go to 64 bit to accomodate Premiere CS5.  Because of the video editing, I added a Gforce GTS 450 video card. Once I realized I had a problem with the onboard sound, I stopped by Best Buy and picked up a cheap Rocketfish sound card and as I said that solved the problem.

The only deficit from this build was I lost the "sound mix" option which allowed me to record whatever was playing on my computer directly into any recording program.  I am planning to pick up a Soundblaster Titanium Fatality that has a program called "what u hear" which is the same thing.

As suggested, I could have just exchanged the board but I was crunched for time and had to finish a football video for their banquet. (Click link below).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uFwAyFmEQU

or check the MG165 channel on youtube.

• 12. Re: DG45ID - No Sound - Windows 7 64 Bit - Help!
                                Flying_Kiwi

logicWorker wrote:

mg165,

I'm using an external video card (Radeon HD2600XT). If you're also using an external video card, then I would feel more confident that your solution will work for me.

logicWorker

If you believe the problem may be associated with the external graphics card being installed, why not give it a test run without the graphics card installed. If it works then, you'll know it's not the board or any of the drivers or anti-virus software to blame. It's always a good idea to go back to basics and test in a minimal configuration when testing motherboards. FWIW I've had no problems with my DG45ID audio other than early drivers not installing properly long ago. A repeat attempt solved that and all is rock solid now but then I use onboard everything with only a TV card plugged into one of the boards slots.

• 13. Re: DG45ID - No Sound - Windows 7 64 Bit - Help!

When I finished the build, the sound was the only problem, I took the computer to a friend who builds for a living. He was the one who determined that the onboard sound was DOA. I found many other confirming postings to that end. He also sugested exchanging for a new board under waranty but for $25 for the cheap card, it was the easiest test.  So for an additional $100, I not only have a great system with a great video card, I'll also have a great sound system with the ability to record directly off the bus.

While I understand some people may want to know the cause of a problem, sometimes it makes more sense to go directly for the solution.

Mark

• 14. Re: DG45ID - No Sound - Windows 7 64 Bit - Help!
                                    Flying_Kiwi

Guest wrote:

When I finished the build, the sound was the only problem, I took the computer to a friend who builds for a living. He was the one who determined that the onboard sound was DOA. I found many other confirming postings to that end.

What, confirming postings where many other people have inspected your computer and determined the onboard sound is kaput with no chance of resurrection? How do you know these 'confirming postings' aren't confirming different audio problems caused through incorrect assembly etc. There can be many causes for onboard audio not working and just because you've found lots of posts with that symptom where people haven't been able to get things working, does not mean the same diagnosis or that there is an inherent problem. I remember reading a post on this forum from someone who wondered why there was a buzzing and onboard sound was flaky. It turned out that the wrong header pins had been used to connect up the front audio ports. If something like this is done, then the audio ports may be damaged or die altogether but for this to fail all on it's own is most unusual.

If it's easier for you to splash out on an audio card and you don't mind occupying a slot (which uses the PCI bus just like the onboard audio - although the physical connection is different), then that's certainly a workaround solution. I've done this sort of thing when the onboard LAN of a co-workers PC died and I bought an Intel Pro 100S Desktop NIC for the machine to get it all up and running again. That motherboard was well out of warranty though so there wasn't a free solution available (the NIC only cost £6 at a computer fair).

1 2 Previous Next