6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 3, 2018 6:29 PM by N.Scott.Pearson

M.2 SSD compatibility?

Thaidroid

XPG SX8200 240GB 3D NAND NVMe Gen3x4 M.2 2280 Solid State Drive (ASX8200NP-240GT-C) 

Is this SSD compatible with NUC7 Computers?

Mine is a NUC7i5BNHXF.

The SX8200 is NVMe 1.3 Qualified and that is the NUC7 M.2 spec. But checking compatibility listing it's not there. Probably means that's it's not Intel verified.

• 2. Re: M.2 SSD compatibility?
          Thaidroid

Al,

I have that but it's not listed there, that's why I'm asking here.

Checking on Amazon there is this caution for the product: PCIe M.2 2280 is not compatible with SATA M.2 2280, please check your system spec before purchasing.

The product spec for the NUC says :  PCI Express Revision Gen3 M.2 slot with PCIe x4 Lanes

So judging by this it seems to be compatible but it would be nice to have it confirmed  before ordering one(I live on the other side of the planet from Amazon)

Den

• 3. Re: M.2 SSD compatibility?
            N.Scott.Pearson

If it isn't on the list, then it hasn't been tested. We cannot provide information that we do not have.

Ok, that said, I see no reason why it would not work. Give it a try and, if it doesn't work, you can always return it (a benefit of Amazon: no questions asked return policy). Do let us know one way or the other.

...S

P.S. The M.2 Type M sockets provided on the NUCs support *both* M.2 SATA SSDs and M.2 PCIe/NVMe SSDs. Obviously, the performance of NVMe is *well* above that of SATA.

• 4. Re: M.2 SSD compatibility?
              Thaidroid

Scott,

Thank you for that infro. I might give it a go. If I do I will certainly post the result.

• 5. Re: M.2 SSD compatibility?
                Thaidroid

Scott,

I ended up installing a SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB.

And it's Flying, I also notice that this one is not in the Intel tested list.

I guess now My NUC has become a NUC7I5BNH, since there's no Optane anymore.

I set Bios to AHCI I'm not sure is any other bios setting I should change.

Installed Samsung Driver and Samsung Magician gives me 3490MB/sec Read and 1540MB/Sec Write

• 6. Re: M.2 SSD compatibility?
                  N.Scott.Pearson

Yea, its the fastest one out there and many people are choosing to use it. As for why it isn't on the compatibility list, it is because the vendor has either not provided samples to the Intel Compatibility Labs or has been slow doing so (and thus the tests are not yet complete).

Though Intel would prefer I do not say so, tough, I have to be honest with myself. First of all, I would much rather have a super-fast NVMe SSD as my boot and system device than I would an accelerated HDD. I hate the thought of giving up my single M.32 NVME socket for the Optane module. Secondly, using Intel SRT, I already had support for using all or (better) part of this super-fast SSD as the cache with which to accelerate accesses to a secondary HDD. I am not happy that Intel dropped support for Intel SRT when they released Optane. They did it for no reason other than greed. Shame!  Well, if they bring back support for Intel SRT, great, I will use it. Otherwise, I will keep my SSD and purchase SSHDs (HDDs with embedded acceleration caches) instead.

Just saying,

...S