9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 4, 2018 11:20 AM by Intel Corporation

Occasional black screens - Display driver (igfxLP) stopped responding

FarisJayyousi

Greetings    I would like to tell you about a problem I have been experiencing with my Lenovo Yoga Book (Lenovo Yb1-X91F) since a long time.

Problem description:
      While watching videos (mainly YouTube) or browsing some graphical websites, my Lenovo Yoga Book's screen would randomly go black for a few seconds then goes back to normal. Sound will still play during the black screen and I can still move the mouse.

Warning message from Event Viewer:

Display driver igfxLP stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

Event ID: 4101

Windows 10 Pro version 1803 OS Build: 17134.137

Troubleshooting steps I've done so far to fix the issue without success:
      1- Updated Windows to the latest version.

2- Updated all drivers to the latest version, including the Intel HD Graphics driver.

3- Reset my Yoga Book to factory settings.
      4- Clean booting by disabling all the other services and startup programs.
      5- Created a new Test user account but the problem happened there as well.
      6- Updated BIOS to version 04WT22WW

7- Uninstalled the display drivers and let Windows automatically installs it back.

8- Installed older display drivers to see if the problem still exists.

9- Created TdrDelay key in the registry.

10- Selected "adjust for best performance" from the Performance Options.

11- Closed all background apps except the browser.

I don't know when did this problem happen. I bought my Yoga Book when it was on Anniversary Update 1607. I don't remember seeing this problem back then. I remember seeing it in 1703 and 1709 and now on 1803.

The problem is widely discussed on this forum and users fixed it by installing the correct Intel Driver that Lenovo recommends from the support page. I'm currently using display driver version 20.19.15.4835 installed from Lenovo's support website.

I don't know what to do next, hope you can help me with this problem because I can't simply watch YouTube videos on my favorite device without getting this black screen.

Thank you in advance  

Faris

• 1. Re: Occasional black screens - Display driver (igfxLP) stopped responding
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello FarisJayyousi

I understand that your Lenovo Yoga Book experiences black screens while watching videos or browsing. I would like to further assist you. 

I know that you have performed extensive troubleshooting to address this issue, but I still have some questions that I would like to ask you to get more information about this issue.

Do these problems happen when you play YouTube videos using the app or browser? Have you tried using other browsers and get the latest update available?
          What is the latest generic driver version you have installed in your system?

Also, please run the Intel® System Support Utility and attach the report to get more information about your system.

1.Download the Intel® System Support Utility and save the application to your system.
          https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600
          2.Open the application and click Scan to see system and device information. The Intel® System Support Utility defaults to the Summary View on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says summary to change to Detailed View.
          3.To save your scan, click Next and click Save. You can save the file to any accessible location on your computer.

Wanner G. 

• 2. Re: Occasional black screens - Display driver (igfxLP) stopped responding
            FarisJayyousi

Thanks for your reply. Attached is the requested system and device information saved from Intel SSU.

This problem happens while watching YouTube videos using the browser, regardless of the browser I'm using. I'm mainly using Microsoft Edge but I tried other browsers and the problem remained on them.

Here are the Intel drivers versions that I have previously installed on my system in attempt to get rid of the problem:

The driver's version currently installed is 20.19.15.4835, which is listed in the Lenovo's drivers and software support page in the following link:

(https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/tablets/yoga-series/yoga-book/downloads)

Something that is worth mentioning is that I think there's some sort of corruption about the driver versions. Below is a screenshot that show two different driver versions but I'm sure I installed 20.19.15.4835 and uninstalled all the other drivers. I don't know if this has anything to do with the problem and I doubt it since it never happened before and I just recently discovered it. I tried uninstalling the driver from Control Panel and from Device Manager but Intel's Information Center will always show me the driver version 20.19.15.4549, even though I have it uninstalled.

Capture 4.PNG

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/tablets/yoga-series/yoga-book/downloads

• 3. Re: Occasional black screens - Display driver (igfxLP) stopped responding
              Intel Corporation

Hello FarisJayyousi,

Thank you for your reponse.

One of the first steps I can recommend is that you perform a fresh install of the latest graphics driver provided by your system manufacturer to ensure that old drivers are removed before installing the newest one.

You may follow these steps:

1. Disconnect your unit from the internet.
              2.Please uninstall both the Intel Graphics driver and the Intel Display audio driver. To do this, please follow the steps on the link below under these sections: 
              -Uninstalling the Intel Graphics Driver via the Device Manager Method
              -Uninstalling the Intel® Display Audio Driver or the Intel® HDMI Audio Driver via the Device Manager Method.
              https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005598/graphics-drivers.html

3.Restart your computer. Please go to the device manager and check if Windows installed another version of the graphics driver. If it does, please remove it and restart your computer one more time. Repeat the process until you get the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter.
              4.Once you do, please proceed with the clean install of the latest graphics driver provided by your system manufacturer.
              5.Once the latest driver has been installed, you may enable the internet connection again.

Regarding your question about two different driver versions, Windows* actually keeps a driver repository, meaning that as new drivers are installed, older one(s) remains in the system, yet only one is being used. I suggest checking out this site to better understand the Intel® Graphics Driver version number.
              https://communities.intel.com/external-link.jspa?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.intel.com%2Fcontent%2Fwww%2Fus%2Fen%2Fsupport%2Farticles%2F000005654%2Fgraphics-drivers.html

I hope you find this information helpful

Wanner G. 

• 4. Re: Occasional black screens - Display driver (igfxLP) stopped responding
                FarisJayyousi

I did exactly what you suggested. I turned off internet connection on my device, then I uninstalled any Intel display driver that was installed on my device, until I had the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter. Next step I did was to install the manufacturer's recommended display driver which has the version 20.19.15.4835. So now, I have no other display drivers installed or stored on my system except this one. I have uninstalled all the previously installed drivers that were stored. Now all I have is Microsoft Basic Display Adapter and Intel HD Graphics with the driver version 20.19.15.4835.

I still find it weird for my Device Manager to show the right display driver version, but Intel's Control Panel Information Center still shows a different display driver that was previously installed and now uninstalled. It doesn't show me the right driver version for some reason. Could it be the source of the main problem I'm experiencing?

Thanks again for your help I feel we will be able to get this resolved.

Faris

• 5. Re: Occasional black screens - Display driver (igfxLP) stopped responding
                  Intel Corporation

Hello FarisJayyousi,

Thank you for your response.

I know that you already installed the latest graphics driver available for your processor, but I do not really know what that is. Have you tried this Intel generic version?

Version: 15.40.38.4963 (Latest)
                  https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27780/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-40-

If installing this graphics driver does not resolve the issue, I would like to know if it occurs when using the the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter, too. Follow these steps.

- Open Device Manager.
                  - Click Yes when prompted for permission from User Account Control. 
                  - Expand the Display adapters section. 
                  - Right-click the Intel® graphics entry and select Update Driver Software. 
                  - Click "Browse my computer for driver software".
                  - Click "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer".
                  - Select the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter
                  - Test the performance of the unit.

Wanner G.

• 6. Re: Occasional black screens - Display driver (igfxLP) stopped responding
                    FarisJayyousi

As I've previously mentioned, I tried installing the latest Intel generic version 15.40.38.4963 and the problem still happens.

I also tried using the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter and the problem didn't happen. Though the performance was really slow and the videos didn't play well.

2.PNG

1.PNG

• 7. Re: Occasional black screens - Display driver (igfxLP) stopped responding
                      Intel Corporation

Hello FarisJayyousi,

I appreciate your response. 

Based on the troubleshooting performed in your computer to fix the flickering you get when surfing the internet and playing videos, hardware may also be the root of the issue.

Since we have tested many drivers and they do not appear to be the source of the issue, then our suggestion is contacting the Laptop manufacturer so they can debug this issue as it could very well be located in the vBIOS of your computer.

Your computer manufacturer may attempt to reproduce this issue in order to provide a detailed answer about feasible solutions or a workaround to prevent this flickering from happening.

Wanner G.

• 8. Re: Occasional black screens - Display driver (igfxLP) stopped responding
                        FarisJayyousi

I have already taken my Lenovo Yoga Book to an authorized repair center and they confirmed that the problem is not hardware related. This problem is widely reported and is not exclusive to my device only. The thing is I tried almost everything to fix this problem but I had no luck. Would be helpful if you look at the troubleshooting steps I've provided earlier and let me know if I missed something.

Thank you

• 9. Re: Occasional black screens - Display driver (igfxLP) stopped responding
                          Intel Corporation

Hello FarisJayyousi ,

In this case, reproducing the issue is the best troubleshooting step I can recommend due to the extensive troubleshooting performed in your unit. However, we are unable to do it because we do not have the exact same hardware. 

The extensive troubleshooting proves that the flickering in your laptop has to be taken to Lenovo* to reproduce it and address it correctly.

If the laptop manufacturer determines the issue is with the Intel driver they will surely contact us (business-to-business) to get it fixed as soon as possible.

Wanner G.