3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 27, 2018 11:35 PM by N.Scott.Pearson

Intel NUC8i7HNK BIOS Version 44 Update

NUCOrchid

I purchased Intel NUC8i7HNK several weeks ago and I have updated the original BIOS to version 40 using F7 method. The process was successful and the BIOS version is HNKBLi70.86A.0029.2018.0222.1606.

Today I want to use the same method to update to version 44. But the update process cannot complete after the system restarts. Below are my detailed steps.

1. Download the BIOS file from BIOS Update [HNKBLi70.86A] and save it to the USB disk.

2. Restart the computer and press F2 to enter the Intel Visual BIOS.

3. Press F7 to start the BIOS update process. In this step, the Intel Visual BIOS needs to locate the BIOS file saved in the USB disk. After the BIOS file is found and then click "Yes" to confirm the update.

4. Restart the system and then my problem appears: the LCD display remains black during restart and no any information, e.g., boot menu or errors in the display. The system totally gets stuck and cannot boot further. Only the blue and green LED lights in the front panel are on. I have waited for a long time and the system still had no any response.

I have also tried to remove the yellow BIOS jumper to recover the BIOS, but the same phenomena as in step 4 happen. I have no chance to choose the boot menu at all. I am totally confused. Does anyone know what has happened and how to solve the problem? I appreciate you very much if you could provide any tips or share your experiences. Below are the OS and hardwares:

Hardwares: Samsung SSD 970 Pro 512 GB, Kingston HyperX 16GB DDR4 2400MHz Memory.

• 1. Re: Intel NUC8i7HNK BIOS Version 44 Update
          N.Scott.Pearson

Wait - you are saying that, after performing the F7 update using file HN0040.BIO, the version string was HNKBLi70.86A.0029.2018.0222.1606? That's not right; it should have been HNKBLi70.86A.0040.2018.0516.1521. This tells me that the F7 update was NOT successful.

Regarding your process, no, it is incorrect. Here is the correct process:

1. If you have never done it before, reformat your USB flash disk, on a Windows-based PC (not a Linux- or MACOS-based PC!), using the FAT32 file system and with the Quick option disabled. It can be the NUC if Windows is installed and working properly.
          2. Download the appropriate .BIO file and copy it to the root folder of the USB flash disk.
          3. If this is not the NUC itself, properly eject the USB flash disk using the Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media applet in the Windows System Tray. Do not just yank it out.
          4. If this is the NUC, do a restart. If not, plug the USB flash disk into the NUC and restart it or power it on.
          5. When the BIOS Splash Screen appears, press F7 repeatedly until the BIOS Update file selection dialog appears.
          6. Select the appropriate device and then the .BIO file you placed on it and then press <enter>.
          7. The NUC should automatically reboot itself and then the BIOS Update progress screen should appear. When it completes, the system should restart itself again.
          8. When the BIOS Splash Screen appears, press the F2 key until BIOS Setup (Visual BIOS) appears.
          9. Verify that the BIOS version string is correctly set for the version you installed.

Give this a try and see what happens. I suggest you retry the installation of BIOS 40 before going to BIOS 44.

Hope this helps,

...S

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Intel NUC8i7HNK BIOS Version 44 Update
            NUCOrchid

Hi, Scott. Thank you very much for your tips. You are right that HNKBLi70.86A.0040.2018.0516.1521 is the correct version. That is my mistake and HNKBLi70.86A.0029.2018.0222.1606 is the default version when I firstly used the machine. I did such BIOS update successfully using F7 method and there was no any problem.

1. "If you have never done it before, reformat your USB flash disk, on a Windows-based PC (not a Linux- or MACOS-based PC!), using the FAT32 file system and with the Quick option disabled. It can be the NUC if Windows is installed and working properly."

Yes, I did. I used a USB 2.0 flash disk and with FAT32 to format it. Also Quick option disabled. This step is no problem.

2. "Download the appropriate .BIO file and copy it to the root folder of the USB flash disk."

Since I want to back to my previous version 40, I download BIOS Update [HNKBLi70.86A] and copy it to the USB disk, where only this file exists.

3. "If this is not the NUC itself, properly eject the USB flash disk using the Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media applet in the Windows System Tray. Do not just yank it out."

Yes, I did it using the safe method.

4. If this is the NUC, do a restart. If not, plug the USB flash disk into the NUC and restart it or power it on.

Yes, I pluged the ready USB disk to the target NUC and restarted it. No problem.

5. "When the BIOS Splash Screen appears, press F7 repeatedly until the BIOS Update file selection dialog appears."

In this step, no video output and I have no chance to choose any menu to proceed further. In this step, the NUC restarted two times. Between them there is 1-2 seconds wait. Then after the second restart the NUC finally gets stuck. Only the blue and green LEDs on the front panel and the sknull logo on the cover are on. Long time waiting still no response.

The above problem appeared firstly during my update from version 40 to version 44. Then I have no any chance to revert back to the old version 40.

My additional two attempts today: 1. Remove the yellow BIOS security jumper. 2. Plug off the CMOS battery jumper and wait long time and plug in again. For both tries, still no any video sigals and the same phenomena happened. I don´t know whether I need to return it to the seller to repair. Does anyone has any other ideas? Or did I make some mistakes? I appreciate very much for your help. 

• 3. Re: Intel NUC8i7HNK BIOS Version 44 Update
              N.Scott.Pearson

Well, whatever you have done, you've got it in a bad state. Whether it is a hardware failure (you did try using other ports to connect the monitor, right?) or the BIOS has been bricked really doesn't matter. If you can get it replaced through your place of purchase, great. Otherwise, your are looking a tht RMA process.

...S