3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 21, 2010 2:01 PM by Victor_Intel

Intel DG965WH memory compatibility issue

rxcsta

I'm having trouble with my Intel mobo DG965WH. I ordered some generic ram from ebay, 1 GB of Nanya PC-4200 533Mhz. But when i install it I get no video during startup, just a blank screen. I asked the seller about returning the ram and they said that they spoke to intel and the motherboard is picky, the generic ram is too low quality for the DG965WH and I will have to buy more expensive ram. Could this be true? And if not, can i do anything to fix this problem?

• 1. Re: Intel DG965WH memory compatibility issue
          Aryan2411

Hi there,

Well, it could be a memory issue.

Which CPU are you using?

Check if your processor is on the compatibility list and make sure to check which bios version does the board requires for the cpu to work properly:
          Website:http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/dg965wh/sb/CS-026598.htm

http://processormatch.intel.com/CompDB/SearchResult.aspx?Boardname=dg965wh

Then make sure that the memory you are using has the features as mentioned on this page:
          Website: http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/dg965wh/sb/CS-026599.htm

Note: Changing the memory voltage and speed may affect the board and void your warranty.

If both of these components meet the requirements, then continue to the next steps.

1. Remove the memory
              Does the board issue any beeps? If yes, how many?

2. Then try a bios recovery using a formatted USB media.

Instructions for Recovery BIOS Updates
          In the unlikely event that a BIOS update is interrupted, it is possible the BIOS may be left in an unusable state. The recovery process requires the chassis to be opened to move the onboard BIOS Configuration Jumper.
          WARNING: This process is intended to be performed by a trained technician.
          Recovery with Formatted USB Stick

1. Copy the recovery file (*.bio) to a formatted usb disk.
          2. Place the usb disk in the target system.
          3. Shut down the system and unplug AC power.
          4. Open the chassis and remove the BIOS Configuration Jumper. See the Technical Product Specification for details including the location of this jumper.
          5. Power the system on.
          6. Wait 2-5 minutes for the update to complete. When the usb drive LED is lit, the system is copying the recovery code into the FLASH device.
          7. System will either turn off when the recovery process is completed or it will prompt you to turn off the system.
          8. Remove usb disk
          9. Replace the BIOS Configuration Jumper.
          10. Restart system.

Note: these can be found on:
          Website: http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-022312.htm

Regards,
          Aryan

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Intel DG965WH memory compatibility issue
            rxcsta

I've done all that already. I have a piece of ram with identical specs installed right now, but it's made by a different company. When I install the new ram, and put it in the right place, there is no video. When I remove the old ram and replace it with the new it's the same thing. What's next?

The ebay seller is saying that they spoke to an Intel representative that said this motherboard is "picky", I feel like he could just as easily be lying to cover up defective ram. What do you think?

Thanks a lot for your quick answer and help!

-Costa

• 3. Re: Intel DG965WH memory compatibility issue
              Victor_Intel

My recommendation is to test that memory on another motherboard and if the problem remains on the testing system then the memory is bad and they should replace it for you.

Now the motherboard is not picky with the memory, the only thing is that memory has to be compliant with the requirements. If the memory is compliant you should not have any problems at all.

In the past I had memory like yours and worked fine for me, I really don't thing that the problem is the motherboard.

PV.