Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14403 Discussions

Intel Core Processor Gen3 Memory Data Sheet

RShuf
Beginner

The later generations have data sheets posted for their memory locations. Does anybody know where the memory locations guide for the 3rd Generation Intel Core Processors is? I am specifically trying to find the memory address for the temperature sensor in the processor.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Rashuff,

Thank you for joining the Intel Community Support.

I understand that you would like to find the memory address for the temperature sensor in the processor.

Could you please let us know if you are developing hardware/software?

Is there a specific reason why you would like to get this information? This will allow us to address your question properly.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
RShuf
Beginner

I am developing Software. I want the address for the temperature sensor so I can monitor the temperature.

0 Kudos
RShuf
Beginner

I saw the Thermal Monitor Locations (TM1 & TM2), but I was hoping to read the specific temperature.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

The processor's temperature configuration (Tcontrol Offset and Tjmax values) can be read from the IA32_TEMP_TARGET Model-Specific Register (MSR). The processor's per-Core thermal status and temperature readings can be read via the IA32_THERM_STATUS MSR. Finally, the package-level thermal status and temperature reading can be read via the IA32_PACKAGE_THERM_STATUS MSR. All of these MSRs and their access are discussed in Volumes 3 and 4 of the https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-sdm Intel® 64 and IA-32 Architectures Software Developer Manuals.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
RShuf
Beginner

Thank you for the response, this is extremely helpful. Both the IA32_THERM_STATUS MSR and the IA32_PACKAGE_THERM_STATUS MSR reference the Package TCC (Thermal Control Circuitry) Activation Temperature; do you know where this information specific to the 3rd Gen core Processor can be found?

I checked the 3rd Gen DataSheet.

The Thermal and Mechanical Guidelines for this processor(3rd gen) is not posted online(link does not work), I did not know if it was supposed to be in there.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

The TCC Activation Temperature is (also) the Maximum Junction Temperature (Tjmax). You read its value from the IA32_TEMP_TARGET MSR.

Yea, there always seems to be a couple of links on this page that are broken. Could the ICS folks (intel_corp) please request that these links be fixed. We are talking about this page: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/core/core-technical-resources.html Intel® Core™ Processors Technical Resources.

...S

0 Kudos