7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 31, 2018 9:33 AM by Intel Corporation

Intel RST says SSD on cache RAID array has is "At risk (SMART event)," but CrystalDiskInfo says it's just fine. Which do I believe?

jdrch

UPDATE: Turns out Intel RST was correct. The mSATA SSD was failing. The key SMART parameter RST was flagging was the B1 Wear Leveling Count one, which starts at 100 when the drive is brand new and decreases throughout its life. The "Threshold," or the value below which the drive deems itself near its end of life, is 10. It appears that RST flags devices once they reach a threshold value, while CrystalDiskInfo only does so once the device has surpassed the threshold value. That explains why RST thought the drive was dying while CrystalDiskInfo said everything was fine.

I replaced the mSATA cache drive with a proper 1 TB model that I now use as the main system drive. Details here.

Preamble: aside from the status alerts below, I am not experiencing any of the (typical) symptoms of HDD failure. Everything works just fine.

I have a Dell XPS 8500 that shipped with a Seagate Barracuda 2 TB HDD and a Samsung PM830 32 GB mSATA SSD (cache volume) configured as RAID 0 in RST 12.8.0.1016 (which is the latest RST version that supports the PC's chipset, I gather). The PC runs Windows 10 Pro x64 April 2018 Update Lately, RST has been showing the SSD as "At risk (SMART event):"

Clipboard01.png

Clicking "Suppress SMART event" only clears the error temporarily; it's back again with a couple hours.

CrystalDiskInfo, however, shows the SSD as good:

Clipboard02.png

Note that Used Reserved Block Count (Chip), Used Reserved Block Count (Total), and Unused Reserve Block Count (Total) - which Samsung's documentation says determines SSD health - are all far above the 10% threshold.

What's intriguing, however, is the CrystalDiskInfo shows a Caution status on the 2TB HDD, despite the flagged C5 and C6 parameter values being perfect:

Clipboard03.png

Without disabling the cache functionality and from within Windows 10, I've tried running Samsung Magician and then Seagate SeaTools, but Magician can't see the Samsung SSD (perhaps not while it's behind an RST RAID?) and SeaTools' Short Test just wouldn't complete (same reason?).

I've backed up the HDD so I'm good on data protection. Does anyone have a clue what's going on here? Is RST mistaken about the SSD's status? Why is CrystalDiskInfo showing caution on the Seagate if the SMART parameters have OK values? Any ideas?

Message was edited by: j drch