10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 25, 2010 6:23 PM by rsslane

Intel Desktop Utilities Problem

rsslane

I have a DG33FB mobo (latest BIOS/drivers), Q9450 processor, 8gb of RAM, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit installed a month ago.  Installed IDU a week ago and the last few days it has been driving me crazy, 5-6 times a day, with Processor Thermal Margin temperature alerts.  Not HIGH temperature alerts, but LOW temperature alerts.  Average temperature runs around 55 degrees C.  IDU alerts me when the temperature DROPS to 18 degrees C.  This is what is set as the upper threshold temperature and it is not adjustable.  I have sat here and watched the temperature drop all the way down to just below 18 degrees C and bounce around for 3-4 minutes and then climb back to 55 degrees C.  Makes no sense to me.  Is there a way to fix this, or should I just uninstall the program?  Thanks in advance for any help!

• 1. Re: Intel Desktop Utilities Problem
          Aryan2411

Hello,

I would assume that you are running with the latest bios installed and updated chipset drivers.

If not, update the bios and installed all the latest drivers from the website.

However, there are some ways to disable these alerts. See screenshot below.

All the best,

Kind Regards,

Aryan.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Intel Desktop Utilities Problem
            rsslane

As I stated in my question, the latest BIOS and newest drivers have already been installed.  I prefer to have IDU work correctly and not have to disable alerts.  If there is a fundamental problem with IDU, I'd rather just uninstall it.  Again, I don't understand why the upper temperature threshold is set at 18 (not adjustable).  Shouldn't it be a higher temperature than the 55 it seems to run at?

• 3. Re: Intel Desktop Utilities Problem
              Boyet

Just want to get a clear picture. Is it the processor thermal margin's current and upper setting that you are pertaining to?

• 4. Re: Intel Desktop Utilities Problem
                rsslane

Correct.  Processor thermal margins current temperature runs around 55 and the upper setting is 18.  This upper setting is the only one that is not adjustable.  Everything else in the "UPPER" column is adjustable.

• 5. Re: Intel Desktop Utilities Problem
                  Boyet

I interpret thermal margin as the difference between a reference temperature (maximum allowable) and the present or actual temperature. So that with a current value of say 73, which is what I have, means that my processor is running cold far from the maximum value. With an upper value of 8 I interpret this as my processor running very hot with temperature approaching the maximum value. The IDU should give out an alarm when the processor thermal margin value will reach the indicated upper value.

I hope you will agree with my interpretation. The values given are what I have with IDU running in my unit.

• 6. Re: Intel Desktop Utilities Problem
                    rsslane

You must be an engineer, I'm not.  My logic is not seeing your logic.  What I'm seeing is the actual temperature (averages 55 C) of my processor DROPPING to below the UPPER reference of 18.  Then the alarms go off.  Since all the upper values (temperature & RPM) are higher numbers than the actual numbers, isn't there a possibility that the upper value of 18 is, somehow, wrong?  Or, am I wrong?

• 7. Re: Intel Desktop Utilities Problem
                      Boyet

If you click Hardware Monitor in IDU and select Processor, you will see in the leftmost column, it says "Processor" then under it is the phrase " Relative Temperature". This mean that what is being displayed by IDU is not the actual temperature. A better way of understanding what I have explained earlier would be to run IDU and look at the graphical meter. Then try running a program say, Prime95. You will notice that the pointer of the meter moved towards the red portion of the scale w/ marking of 0. What happen is that the processor temperature will rise if more programs are runned. With an increase of temperature the difference between maximum temperature and this actual temperature will approach a zero value. Which is what is shown in the meter. If you don't run anyway program then we expect that the processor temperature will go down to a low value. And the difference will be large. Thus the meter will move downward towards 80.

• 8. Re: Intel Desktop Utilities Problem
                        rsslane

Thanks for your patience and the explanation!  I downloaded Prime95 and ran it while watching the meter.  It went all the way down to ZERO and I then terminated the program.  Obviously, you are right, but I don't understand why Intel presents the info in such a complicated way.  For the layman, like myself, I don't understand their logic in presenting this information, this way.  The next question is........why does the Relative Temperature blip up and down this way?  I've loaded a bunch of different programs on my computer and none of them make the Relative Temperature drop lower than 40.

• 9. Re: Intel Desktop Utilities Problem
                          Boyet

The word "relative" is the key. To summarize: what is presented by IDU is always with reference (another word for relative) to the maximum temperature which can destroy the processor. The more program runned the more heat generated by the processor the nearer the condition of the processor to getting destroyed. The less program runned the colder the processor becomes thus the further it is from being getting destroyed. I am assuming here that when a program is runned it requires the processor to work harder. Of course not all program will require the processor to work hard as what you have observed as compared with running Prime95.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: Intel Desktop Utilities Problem
                            rsslane

Thanks for your time, Boyet!