14 Replies Latest reply on Jun 23, 2018 8:20 AM by kinamit

Bios fails to update from USB on NUC5i5MYHE

kinamit

I have a NUC5i5MYHE which still has the factory BIOS installed, running Manjaro Linux 64-bit.

Hoping to update the BIOS, I downloaded the "OS Independent" BIOS update iFlash BIOS update [MYBDWi5v.86A.0044.BI.ZIP].

I copied the .BIO file to a USB drive and shut down. On startup, I pressed F7 and got to the update BIOS menu. There I selected the USB, and then selected the .BIO file. A message appeared asking if I really want to update the BIOS using that file. I pressed Return to confirm.

Then the NUC rebooted and went to the normal Linux login screen. I logged in and checked the BIOS version; it was still the original version, not the new one.

I've done this twice. Any suggestions?

If you think the only/best solution to create a DOS boot disk and run the update from that, it would help to have a link to a page explaining how to do that for newbies.

Thank you!

• 1. Re: Bios fails to update from USB on NUC5i5MYHE
          lw1948

The best way to update bios is to use recovery method: BIOS Recovery Update Instructions for Intel® NUC

The easiest is to recover bios from Power Button Menu:

1. Prepare USB stick fully formatted to FAT32 (disable quick format option during format). Format your USB on Windows machine (rather than Linux or MAC). Save the Bios file MYi50044.bio (Download BIOS Update [MYBDWi5v.86A] ) on this stick and insert it into USB slot (NUC shall be OFF).
          2. Press Power Button for about 3 seconds. You should release the Power Button soon as the power led changes color from blue to amber. NUC will reboot into Power Button Menu.
          3. Press F4 and the recovery shall start  (it can take up to 30 seconds for messages to appear on the screen).
          4. When the recovery finishes, pull out the power cord.
          5. Replace the power cord and press Power Button to switch the computer to ON.
          6. Enter Bios setting by pressing F2 during boot process.
          7. Press F9(followed by "Y"), to set Bios to default settings. Press F10 (followed by "Y"), to save the settings and exit to O.S. Let the NUC fully reboot.
          8. You can enter again to Bios setting to change the necessary settings.

Note:
          If for some reason you have difficulty to boot into Power Button Menu, you shall recover your Bios using Security Jumper method

Leon

2 of 2 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Bios fails to update from USB on NUC5i5MYHE
            kinamit

Thank you for the detailed guide.

But it didn't work for me. At Step 3, pressing F4 from the Power Button Menu does nothing; the NUC simply restarts.

As described in the original post, I can get to the BIOS flash menu by pressing F3, but when I select the BIOS file and press enter, the machine simply restarts without updating the BIOS.

Any ideas?

• 3. Re: Bios fails to update from USB on NUC5i5MYHE
              N.Scott.Pearson

Use the jumper-based BIOS Recovery methodology...

...S

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Bios fails to update from USB on NUC5i5MYHE
                lw1948

By pressing on F3 you can not get Bios menu. However, by pressing F7 you may update bios - but this is not bios recovery (only some parts of bios firmware are re-flashed). Did you follow my instruction in Step 1 (i.e. fully reformat your USB to FAT32 in Windows machine)? If you did, please use an other USB stick. I think that with the USB stick what you are using now (if was fully formatted in Windows), you will not be able update or recover  bios (even using Security Jumper removed method).

Leon

• 5. Re: Bios fails to update from USB on NUC5i5MYHE
                  kinamit

Thanks for the followup.

But what should be done to prepare the USB, if it should not be formatted using Windows?

• 6. Re: Bios fails to update from USB on NUC5i5MYHE
                    lw1948

The USB should be fully formatted to FAT32 in Windows (disable the Quick option). Since you have Linux OS on your NUC, you can't format it in your NUC. You shall try on other computer. You can also download SD Formatter tool: SD Memory Card Formatter - SD Association  and use it for repairing your USB format. You have two version of this tool: for Windows or for MAC.

And again, USB formatted in Linux will not work in Bios update.

Leon

• 7. Re: Bios fails to update from USB on NUC5i5MYHE
                      JNRW

Hi Leon,

Just for my further education why does a USB need to be long formatted to FAT32 for purposes of fiddling with the BIOS and not NTFS?

• 8. Re: Bios fails to update from USB on NUC5i5MYHE
                        lw1948

The full format erases all old data on the USB. NTFS file system is also supported by Bios update (spouse to work too), however in this forum I've observed that in most cases the FAT32 format was successful.

Leon

• 9. Re: Bios fails to update from USB on NUC5i5MYHE
                          JNRW

OK. Thank you for your response.

• 10. Re: Bios fails to update from USB on NUC5i5MYHE
                            N.Scott.Pearson

FYI - While NTFS is (also) supported for booting, only FAT32 is supported for BIOS usage. The need for reformatting is because many USB flash disks come formatted for one of the FAT32 lookalikes generated by Linux or MACOS and these lookalikes are not 100% compatible with FAT32 (as implemented by the Intel BIOS). The need for not using the QUICK option is so the sectors of the flash disk are completely reformatted. This is necessary for full compatibility with the Recovery BIOS. Alas, there are still some USB 3.0 flash disks that are not compatible with the BIOS.

...S

• 11. Re: Bios fails to update from USB on NUC5i5MYHE
                              JNRW

Thank you indeed for this useful information.

These little snippets of essential knowledge will make life so much easier when the time comes.

• 12. Re: Bios fails to update from USB on NUC5i5MYHE
                                kinamit

I finally had time to try opening the NUC and taking out the BIOS security jumper.

Then I inserted a USB formatted to FAT32 using Windows, full format not quick format, and containing only the file MYi50044.BIO.

When I turn on the machine, the Configuration Screen appears. This means that the machine did not detect the USB with the .BIO file, right?

Just to make sure, I press F3 and get a screen saying "Please turn off power and reinstall the BIOS Security Jumper in Normal or Lockdown position."

Any ideas?

• 13. Re: Bios fails to update from USB on NUC5i5MYHE
                                  lw1948

Just what I expected - your USB is not recognized for some reason.

While booted into O.S. is the USB port working? Can you see this USB with its contents?

Try work with other USB.

Downlod bios file again, may be yours is corrupted?

Leon

• 14. Re: Bios fails to update from USB on NUC5i5MYHE
                                    kinamit

Yes, as described in the original post, when I boot using the power button menu I can see and select the .BIO file on the USB, but when I select it to update the BIOS, the NUC just reboots without updating. I will try downloading it again and see if that works.

It works! The problem seems to have been a corrupted .BIO file on the USB. Many thanks for your help.