8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 2, 2018 9:18 AM by Intel Corporation

Intel Optane won't allow my system to boot with drive connected

jasonedokpa

Hello,

I am able to successfully setup Intel Optane 32gb with my desktop to accelerate my secondary hdd (not my ssd, which is set up as the primary/boot device) and it works flawlessly for the first couple of reboots. But everything falls flat after that and for the past several days I have been trying to troubleshoot an issue where after setting up my optane memory module, upon restarting the system, my computer will not boot unless I physically remove the drive that it is accelerating. When a boot is attempted, it just shows my motherboard's boot screen with the key prompts (which will not work) and will stay on that screen indefinitely. However, with removal of the drive it will boot into my OS with no problem, but then I no longer can access my hard drive. I have turned off CSM (Compatibility Support Module) and I have Windows installed on gpt disk with bios mode: UEFI, but the problem persists; I am on the latest drivers; my motherboard and processor do support this function. And also, I have no idea if this is part of the problem, but occasionally it will display this screen and nothing happens, just the same:

IMG_20180613_152553.jpg

And provided that it may help, here is my system build info: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/P4ZtnH

I am running everything stock with no overclocking.