2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2018 10:02 AM by hteng1982

Is my system compatible with Intel Optane?

hteng1982

Dear All,

I'm interested in getting Intel Optane memory to accelerate my secondary drive (a 4TB mechanical drive). I would like to know if my current setup can be supported.

CPU: i7 8700K

MB: MSI Z370M (BIOS: 7B44v13)

BOOT DRIVE: Samsung 960 EVO m.2 250GB

SECONDARY DRIVE: WD Black 4TB 7200 RPM SATA

I have read through the requirements to setup Intel Optane for secondary drive acceleration, I'm concerned that MSI's BIOS is not up to date as per this thread below:

Intel Optane Memory on secondary drive ERROR

Should I wait for the latest BIOS update with the proper Pre-BIOS UEFI Driver before jumping into this?

Thank You,

HX Teng

• 1. Re: Is my system compatible with Intel Optane?
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi HX Teng,

Thank you for posting in the Intel® community.

After checking the information you provided about your system, it looks like it supports the Intel® Optane™ Memory to accelerate the secondary drive, however it’s also important to have the BIOS updated.

The main requirements are basically the following:

• 8th Generation Intel® Core Processor: The one that you have is fine as it’s an 8th Gen Core Processor.
          • Intel® RST Pre-OS UEFI Driver version 16.0.2.3402 or later: You have to check this information with your motherboard vendor because the module won’t work to accelerate a secondary drive if the driver is not updated.

Considering this information, I recommend you to wait for the latest BIOS update because without it, you won’t be able to setup the Intel® Optane™ Memory in the way that you want.

I hope this information clarifies your concern. If there is anything else I can help you with, let me know.

The sites below have additional information about the Intel® Optane™ Memory and the requirements to accelerate a secondary drive, I recommend you to check them as well for future references:

Have a nice day.

Regards,
          Diego V.

• 2. Re: Is my system compatible with Intel Optane?
            hteng1982

Thanks for the information, I shall consider.