Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20455 Discussions

Annoying "The igxprd32 display driver has stopped ..." crash ! GM965 Chipset - Please help :)

PPete9
Novice

Hi all,

I've tried everything to try and get around this problem but it keeps coming back to annoy me.

This seems to occur randomly; i.e. no specific event I do on my laptop seems to cause it. I have only experienced this whilst browsing the internet (FF) and using my email client (Thunderbird). It has also occured when watching video files in Classic Media Player (I also use K Lite Medga Codec Pack) but only after watching around 2 hours of the file. NOTE: I have tried uninstalling this codec pack but this error still occurs.

What happens?

The laptop display suddenly freezes, then returns in an odd looking display (not full screen - only a small proportion of the screen in the top right hand corner of the screen). I am then prompted with an alert window with the error "The igxprd32 display driver has stopped working normally. Save your work and reboot the system to restore full display functionality. The next time you reboot the machine a dialog will be displayed giving you a chance to upload data about this failure to Microsoft." (http://s618.photobucket.com/albums/tt265/aniceguy85/?action=view&current=intel_driver_issue.jpg screen shot). So far this hasn't happened whilst playing games (only CSI installed).

What have I tried so far?

My Specifications Report can be found http://mstsactivities.webs.com/Report.htm here.

- Tried using original driver provided with laptop (uninstalling my current driver properly - including a reboot and registry clean - before re-installing the original driver)

- Tried other archived drivers without any success

- Updated to latest drivers for entire hardware but still get the error randomly

Any help would be much appreciated. It's annoying me now. It happens frequently in a week. Some days it won't; some days it may do once or twice.

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

If you are experiencing stop errors with the Intel Graphics Driver, Intel has compiled a list of solutions for your issue, check this out:

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/cs-009483.htm http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/cs-009483.htm

Another way to troubleshoot this issue is by obtaining drivers directly from your computer manufacturer as they may customize your drivers.

0 Kudos
PPete9
Novice

Thanks Allan; will take a look. Sadly my computer manufacture (MaxData) went bust!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

i have the same issue

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have the same problem with K-Lite and .avi files. It wasn't before a few days ago.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

me too i have the same problem with media player classic

does it work with vcl?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

We are having the same problem with laptops. We have about 400 of them. igxprd32.dll seems to crash randomly. The drivers and BIOS are up-to-date. We have tried both the approved Dell driver, and the Intel driver. This is in Windows XP Pro 32bit.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

2011-08-03

I am having this issue under 32bit XP on My DELL Latitude 630

NOTHING seems to make this go away

It randomly occurs. The Intel "Update Utility" says I have a custom driver that cannot be updated.

Is INTEL doing anything about this?

Graham Leach

----

2011-08-04

I have performed additional research and work on this issue.

Apparently, there are issues with the following video driver: 6.14.10.5076 A07

I have downloaded and installed the following driver for testing: 6.14.10.4926 A06

Re-starting the computer under the new video driver was a bit of a mess.

I had to go through two hard resets and a SAFE MODE boot, but eventually Windows XP

boot normally on the A06 driver and the machine has not blue screened on it in over 24 hours.

I will run the machine on A06 from now on.

I will report if a blue screen / stop error happens under A06.

Otherwise, the answer seems to be to avoid A07 if at all possible.

If you need a copy of A06 you can find it by searching google for the entire driver name, or use this link:

http://bit.ly/nOLJMT http://bit.ly/nOLJMT

Graham Leach

----

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I'm use G31 chipset in XP SP2 nor SP3(I've been try this) 32bit,, I have the same problem,, but,,, that is after I install the new graphic driver...

with the older driver ones, that problem doesn't occured.

6.14.10.5009 and higher,, all crash!!

6.14.10.49xx (I forgot the number) works well.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

After over a month of running my DELL Latitude D620 and my DELL Latitude D630 on the older driver set I can postively confirm that my machine is stable.

At times I still see the same behaviour that used to presage a crash (multiple mouse arrows clustered together) but now the machine just pauses and recovers as if nothing happened. With the NEWER driver this behaviour would inevitably be followed by a "Graphics Screen of Death" where the machine would go into what looks like 320 x 200 mode (what is that...CGA or EGA?) and request a reboot. This was basically a must as the machine was essentially useless in the mode it was driven to by the crash.

I can positively confirm that if you are having VIDEO CRASH with your DELL Latitude D620 or D630 you have a good chance of eliminating this issue by rolling back your video driver to the following version:

6.14.10.4926 A06

Like I said, this version has worked without issue for me for over a month now.

Best Regards,

Graham Leach

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Graham,

I was having the exact same problem on my Dell D630 and was about to throw my laptop out the window when I stumbled on your update. It may be too soon to know for sure, but I haven't had a single crash since I "rolled back" to the previous level about a week ago. This is amazing, for I used to have a couple of crashes a day! I had contacted Dell support and they were absolutely useless! They act as if they know nothing about this problem and, consequently, they make no effort to fix it! Shouldn't they at least pull the newer driver from their support website, if it's causing problems on so many computers? Anyway, I wanted to let you know that, thanks to you, I'm happily using my laptop without the daily aggravation.

Thank you!

S.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello,

You are welcome. My machine has not crashed since I rolled back the driver months ago. Intel has a blind spot when it comes to this issue and I agree that they should update the driver, or roll it back to a version that doesn't crash. The only other issue you may encounter with your D6XX series Dell Latitude or Inspiron is overheating. There is a 3rd party application you can download which will command the internal CPU fan to always run at high speed. This may become more and more necessary as the machine ages and picks up dust, which will reduce the cooling efficiency of the internal fans. Maintaining/replacing the CPU fan is a very tough job that requires complete disassembly of the computer, you will want to put that chore off as long as possible, believe me. The application to download is called "Dell Inspiron/Latitude/Precision fan control utility" and it is available here: http://www.diefer.de/i8kfan/ http://www.diefer.de/i8kfan/ I have been using the fan utility for months without an issue. Graham Leach

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I just had this issue crop up over the last few days. This thread saved me a lot of work. Thank you, Graham!

The driver installed flawlessly, and we'll see if it works for me as well as it does you.

I am having an additional problem, though - I had to "update" the HDMI HD Audio driver when I restarted the computer. The problem is, that's nothing new. I have to reinstall the audio drivers a few times a day - the computer just stops recognizing that it is there. Any thoughts?

I have a 2009 Dell Inspiron 1525 running Win XP Pro

BTW, I use that fan app, too - works great!

0 Kudos