1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Jul 24, 2018 11:15 PM by Intel Corporation

SNMP on server board SP1200SPLR

kimm

I'm using the Intel Server Board SP1200SPRL running Windows Server 2012 and try to do some basic SNMP monitoring of just the network traffic to begin with. I use MRTG for this but after installing the SNMP feature/service in the OS, I'm not even able to query the onboard NICs. Is the Intel SNMP Sub Agent download required even for just simple NIC monitoring - the Sub Agent release notes only describes it will enable monitoring of things like processor, power, temperature etc. but not the NICs.

Thank you in advanced.

• 1. Re: SNMP on server board SP1200SPLR
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello kimm,

I am sorry for the inconvenience you have encountered with the SNMP monitoring.
          I am sorry to ask, but when you mentioned after installing the SNMP feature/service in the OS. Do you mean the Intel® SNMP Subagent Stand-Alone Intel® Server Management Utility?

If this is correct, the application is installed after you have configured the SNMP Master Agent.

This could be the reason why your MRTG software stopped responding.
          I will recommend copying the MIB file just in case you need it for the MRTG software.
          This information can be located:

https://downloadmirror.intel.com/26989/eng/Intel_SNMP_Subagent_User_Guide.pdf#page=10

I hope this information helps you.

If there is anything else we can help please feel free to ask.

Best regards,

Henry A.

• 2. Re: SNMP on server board SP1200SPLR
            kimm

Hello Henry,

thank you for your quick response on this....much appreciated.

I haven't installed any additional software on the server yet, as I only install absolutely needed software to keep a minimal attack surface. So I was awaiting your (Intel's) advise on this before proceeding. The only additinal component I have installed is the Windows Server 2012 SNMP feature through Windows Server Manager.

Looking forward to your reply on this. Thank you in advanced.

• 3. Re: SNMP on server board SP1200SPLR
              Intel Corporation

Hello kimm,

AT this moment the best option will be to install the Intel Subagent application.  And copy the MIB file to your MRTG software.
              If the problem persists I will recommend contacting MRTG support.

https://downloadmirror.intel.com/26989/eng/Intel_SNMP_Subagent_User_Guide.pdf#page=10

Best regards,

Henry A.

• 4. Re: SNMP on server board SP1200SPLR
                kimm

Hi Henry,

thank you for the reply. I have already downloaded the SNMP Agent, but just needed some clarification on the need for it.

Can you confirm that the Intel SNMP Sub Agent software is needed for any SNMP functionality on the board - even detection/enumeration for SNMP capable compoents? I'd expect this to be the case, as right now I'm not even able to enumerate the two onboard NICs or the two additional NIC ports I have through an additional Intel I350-T2VT2  Server Adapter PCIe card......but as they both connect to the BMC I expect it to be caused by the same root cause?

Best regards.

• 5. Re: SNMP on server board SP1200SPLR
                  Intel Corporation

Hello kimm,

Yes, it is required for the SNMP communication.  And if the PCI card uses is Intel it should also add the necessary MIB library.

Best regards,

Henry A.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: SNMP on server board SP1200SPLR
                    Intel Corporation

Hello kimm,

I just will like to follow up and verify if there is anything else I can help you.

Best regards,

Henry A.

• 7. Re: SNMP on server board SP1200SPLR
                      Intel Corporation

Hello kimm,

We haven’t heard any further related to the threat requesting help for SNMP configuration on an SP1200SPLR.
                      I will proceed on clocing this threat, if you requiere addition support you can please open a new conversation threat or to contact our support line 916 – 317 – 7000 option #4 for phone support

Best regards,

Henry A.

• 8. Re: SNMP on server board SP1200SPLR
                        kimm

Hi Henry,

I have now had the time to install and test the solution of installing the Intel SNMP Subagent on the two servers with the S1200SPLR boards.

Installation was successful and I afterwards copied the baseboard MIB into both the \system32 and \system64WOW folders - where the Windows SNMP service looks for MIBs just to be sure. Still I'm not able to query/enumerate the board and any devices on it at all. Do I need to do some additinal steps to properly add/register the MIB? When I try to do a simple SNMPWalk using the Getif SNMP tool I get a "no response" error returned with or without firewall enabled - even though SNMP traffic is allowed through the firewall!

The servers are properly configured with both SNMP community name and managers using Windows GPOs, and two older servers also running Windows 2012 with the older S3210SHLX boards are working like champs!

Thank you in advance.

/Kim

• 9. Re: SNMP on server board SP1200SPLR
                          Intel Corporation

Hello kimm,

Thank you for the updated information.
                          Let me ask what software are you using for SNMP Monitoring?

Best regards,

Henry A.

• 10. Re: SNMP on server board SP1200SPLR
                            kimm

Hello Henry,

I want to use MRTG just to monitor network traffic on the NICs and when I try to discover the NICs from MRTG I get a "no response" error. I have also tried to use Getif SNMP tool which returns the same error.

When using both of the tools on the two older Intel S3210SHLX boards everything works fine. Both the S1200SPLR and the S3210SHLX boards are running a Windows Server 2012 Datacenter Hyper-V role with four NICs in total and nothing else.

I will try to reinstall the Windows SNMP service/feature to see if it helps but looking forward to hear your take on this.

Best regards.

/Kim

• 11. Re: SNMP on server board SP1200SPLR
                              Intel Corporation

Hello kimm,

I haven’t used too much MRTG.  But normally you will need to import the MIB list to its database.
                              But I will also recommend you to verify with the MRTG support team for configuration or missing information from the Intel Server.

Best regards,

Henry A.

• 12. Re: SNMP on server board SP1200SPLR
                                Intel Corporation

Hello kimm,

We haven’t heard any further related to the threat requesting help for SNMP configuration on an SP1200SPLR.
                                I will proceed on clocing this threat, if you requiere addition support you can please open a new conversation threat or to contact our support line 916 – 317 – 7000 option #4 for phone support

Best regards,

Henry A.

• 13. Re: SNMP on server board SP1200SPLR
                                  kimm

Hekko Henry.

As per my last message I just tried uninstalling followed by an instant reboot of the system and then reinstalling the Windows SNMP Service. Unfortunately it didn't resolve the problem. I still get a no response error even when trying a simple SNMPwalk command. It seems like the Intel SNMP Subagent is not correctly registered/bound to either the SNMP Master service (the Windows SNMP Service) and/or the board and then returns a timeuot error.

Regards,

/Kim

• 14. Re: SNMP on server board SP1200SPLR
                                    Intel Corporation

Hello kimm,

I am sorry to hear the problems with the SNMP, but one question on the SNMP service you already set the password to use.  Also, what does the MRTG supports recommends, their information will be most helpful.

Best regards,

Henry A.

1 2 Previous Next