3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2018 9:11 AM by Intel Corporation

BIOS Update questions

SpaceCadet

I have a NUC5i5RYH, current BIOS version is 0355. I am running Linux, Debian 9.4 amd64. HDMI connection to a Samsung 43" television that supports only the 720p mode (1280x720, I think)

Everything is working fine with the exception that I am not able to enter the BIOS (F2) at startup unless I connect to a VGA monitor that supports 1024x768 mode. It's a rather tedious process.

As everything is working I would generally not consider updating the BIOS. However, in the most updated version of the BIOS (RY0369) there appear to be two items that might be beneficial.

1. A microcode security update

2. Support for screens that do not have the 1024x768 mode available.

Can someone please confirm that the latest BIOS will afford me the possibility of entering the BIOS (F2) while connected to the large screen TV?

I have seen it stated in the Intel Support that the 5th generation NUCS have not had a limitation as regarding the screen, but I can assure you that the problem certainly exists in my case.

By the way, I was previously registered as JohnBoyCr but my password expired and I was not able to set a new password, hence registration under a new user name. Hopefully that won't create issues. Thanks in advance for your replies.

• 1. Re: BIOS Update questions
          SpaceCadet

My bad people. What I read was actually addressed in BIO version 0350, so I apparently am still up a rope as far as accessing BIO when connected to a screen that does not support 1024x768. Guess if I want to update I will need to lug the monitor from the computer room to the living room where resides the NUC, or vice versa. What a pain. Thanks anyway.

• 2. Re: BIOS Update questions
            Intel Corporation
            This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello SpaceCadet
            Thank you for contacting us.
            I understand that you have questions regarding why you can't access the BIOS Setup with the F2 Key.
            Based on the brief description of your issue, I just wanted to clarify that f you're using an HDMI monitor or HDTV that doesn't support a resolution of 1024x768, you might not be able to access the Intel® Visual BIOS setup when pressing the F2 key.
            This is not considered an error but a limitation in our NUC units and the Intel® NUC Kit NUC5i5RYH that you own is limited to the 1024x768 resolution as well.
            My apologies for the inconvenience that this may cause.
            I hope this helps.
            Best regards.

Diego S.

• 3. Re: BIOS Update questions
              Intel Corporation
              This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello SpaceCadet
              We just wanted to double check if you still need further assistance.
              Please do not hesitate on contacting us back.            
              Best Regards,
              Diego S.