2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 19, 2010 12:29 PM by gilpv

Never again will I buy an Intel Motherboard

gilpv

Last July, I bought parts to build a new PC.  For many reasons, I didn't get to setting it up until today.  Unfortunately, the mobo I bought was the Intel DX58SO.  The PC I built before this one was based around the Intel D975XBX2.  Both are part of the "Extreme Series"  The old mobo had 3 PCI-E slots while the new mobo only has 2.  I bought 3 dual monitor PCI-E cards to support 6 monitors -- now I'm going to have to send one of them back and replace it with a slower PCI card.  I was willing to accept only 3 memory slots (even Intel suggests that you not use their 4th slot if you don't want to degrade performance) while most other manufacturers have 6 DIMM sockets but I was unaware that they took away one of the video slots.

• 1. Re: Never again will I buy an Intel Motherboard
          achiav01

Don't you even bother looking at the specifications before buying a motherboard ?

The Intel website has a nice page for every motherboard they produce that tells you everything about it, including the number of PCI and memory slots, and there's also a nice picture of the board.

You can also download the user manual and technical specification before buying it.

Buying a board just by looking at the name "DX58SO" doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

• 2. Re: Never again will I buy an Intel Motherboard
            gilpv

Of course I look at the specifications.  And I read reviews.  The reviews are never great on Intel boards because other boards offer more bells and whistles.  The only reason I have stuck with Intel is because they are a stable board and that is important to me for the business I'm in.  And by the way, when you are looking through specifications you don't look to see if it supports USB 2.0 or if it has onboard ethernet.  Those are a given.  You will scan the specs and acknowledge they are there.  The fact that the previous extreme board had 3 PCI-E slots and when I scanned the specs of their current board I read the following:

• One primary                                                         PCI  Express* 2.0 x16 (electrical x16) bus add-in card connector
            • One secondary PCI Express 2.0 x16 (electrical x16) bus  add-in card connector
            • One PCI Express* 1.0a x16 (electrical x4) bus add-in card  connector

I interpreted that as the board having 3 PCI-E slots.