1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply on Jun 28, 2018 4:52 AM by donniedarkoau

Gigabyte Aero 14 (GTX1060) Missing Brightness Control

donniedarkoau

I have the Gigabyte Aero 14 with the HD530 & GTX1060 Graphics card running Windows 10 (Version 1803). The processor is i7-6700HQ

The vendors last official version of Intel 530 driver is 21.20.16.4526

Whenever a newer version of the driver (in my experience ANY new version greater than this version) is installed, the brightness controls cease to function either from an application level or operating system level. With the supplied version (now dating back to September 28, 2016) all the brightness controls work via the special keyboard hotkeys (Fn-F3/F4) or action center (Brightness %).

This is becoming increasingly difficult to maintain as I constantly lose the brightness with each new update from Microsoft pushing the latest graphics driver which I have to keep reverting in order to keep my brightness control working.

There was a recent case where Asus K501UX users had the exact same problem and Intel managed to fix it (see https://communities.intel.com/thread/123924). There has been no joy for this question for Gigabyte users however and I think this user has the exact same issue (see https://communities.intel.com/thread/124725)

How can it be that version 21.20.16.4526 supports brightness, yet every other version beyond this doesn't. This must be a change in the Intel 530 driver which is causing this problem?

As an additional point, when I use an external tool to control brightness (Win10_BrightnessSlider.exe) with the original 21.20.16.4526 driver, the tool works correctly as expected (same as the built-in Fn-F3/F4 keys and Win10 tool). However if I upgrade the 530 drivers and then attempt to use the tool, the tool fails with "Feature Not Available" when trying to connect to the Brightness Class. So it seems the brightness feature isn't available any more in later editions.

Appreciate any assistance from Intel in solving this.

1 2 Previous Next