Items with no label
3335 Discussions

No DFU device was connected : Realsense 435 Firmware Upgrade

WTatt
New Contributor I

Trying to update a d435 to Signed_Image_UVC_5_9_11_0.bin from Signed_Image_UVC_5_9_9_2.bin.

The update worked perfectly in the past when we updated the device to Signed_Image_UVC_5_9_9_2.bin - but this time.

When we run intel-realsense-dfu.exe the device shows as being available:

Intel (TM) Updatable Devices List

[1]Intel(R) RealSense(TM) 435 with RGB Module Depth (FW Version: 5.9.9.2)

We then run the update ...

Enter camera number to update: (any out of bounds index to go back to main menu)1

Enter path and filename (e.g. c:\Documents\newFirmware.bin: )Signed_Image_UVC_5_9_11_0.bin

Updating firmware to Signed_Image_UVC_5_9_11_0.bin

No DFU device was connected

Failed to burn firmware

Press any key to continue . . .

The system disconnects the device - then a windows system message shows.

"The last USB device you connected to this computer malfunctioned and Windows does not recognise it"

Would appreciate any input

Wes
0 Kudos
1 Solution
WTatt
New Contributor I

Ive done some regression testing on a second box ... the issue seems may be related to a recent windows update.

I was able to correctly run the firmware on another computer with an earlier version of windows 10 it is running a windows 10 pre build 1803 version.

I also noted on that machine that the usb port was 3.1 - which could be another possible source of the issue.

Either way - it does not seem to be a faulty sensor as such - but more some sort of driver or windows software version conflict.

Westa

PS i know ive seen other people discussing the exact same issue that mentioned using windows 8.1 to do the firmware update as an option as well.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
27 Replies
ROhle
Novice

I had same problem ... on Win10 (updated and current everywhere). Didn't recognize the D435... showed up as SR300. Couldn't update.

On Win8.1 the update tool worked fine... and the camera is now recognized on Win1o.

0 Kudos
WTatt
New Contributor I

It seems there is a second driver needed - when the sensor is switched into DFU mode.

Under windows 10 - the device is not recognised correctly when it is in the mode.

Even more problematic is the UWP Driver ... Intel RealSense D400 Series UWP Driver v5.1.160.5

which continually keeps putting the sensor into DFU mode to attempt to do a firmware update

... to 5.9.0.x when the device is already at 5.9.9.2 ...

Eventually managed to disable the RS400 service to at least allow the device to keep running on windows 10.

But right now its a complete mess - this really needs to be fixed ... not a professional look at all

Westa

0 Kudos
ROhle
Novice

I have had no further problems since updating my d435 using Win8.1 and the update tool which is labeled as a Win10 download:) ... just to repeat the tool works fine for 8.1, but this isn't indicated anywhere on the download page.

There must be something about Win10 that is giving the engineers fits. In the Viewer 3d mode, in Win8.1, with the D435, you can cycle the source of the image being reconstructed... ir1, ir2, color, really slick and very useful. In Win10 no such luck. I'm guessing there is a flag somewhere that didn't get set and can't be scripted.

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Does the camera still function if you unplug it and then plug it back in, or has it stopped being detected after the firmware update?

0 Kudos
WTatt
New Contributor I

using the DFU tool - the device does not update - it puts the sensor into DFU mode - but windows fails to connect to a valid driver and the device remains in a locked state until you disconnect and reconnect it to the computer.

using the UWP Driver ... Intel RealSense D400 Series UWP Driver v5.1.160.5 - the problems are different.

It installs a RS400 service which attempts to UPDATE the firmware every time you connect the device --

Problem is - firstly the firmware on the sensor is NEWER than the firmware it wants to install

- secondly it also tries to put the sensor in to DFU mode every time - which fails - LEAVING the sensor in an unusable state.

The only current workaround is the disable toe RS400 service in the windows SERVICES panel

Westa

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Thanks so much for your feedback about the firmware and for your workaround.

The UWP driver is a general-purpose driver for UWP compatibility and is not specially written for the RealSense cameras. So use of UWP with the firmware tool is not a guarantee that the firmware update process will work better with Windows.

0 Kudos
WTatt
New Contributor I

The question still remains - how does one get the d435 to correctly do a firmware update on windows 10 - it is still broken.

Further how does one completely uninstalled the UWP driver from Intel ?

Westa

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

UWP questions are outside of my knowledge unfortunately , as I am not an Intel employee. Hopefully a member of the Intel support team can find the answers for you, as they have access to the RealSense development team, whilst I do not. Good luck!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi westa,

Please follow the instructions below:
  1. Open Device Manager
  2. Expand Imaging Devices
  3. Right click on each entry for Intel RealSense 430 with RGB Module and...
    1. Select "Uninstall this device."
    2. In the Uninstall Device dialog box, check the box for "Delete the driver software for this device" (this option will not be available for the second device) and click Uninstall.
  4. Unplug and re-plug in the camera.
  5. Verify that the uninstallation worked...
    1. Check that the entries for the D435 in Device Manager are now under Cameras
    2. Right click on each device, select Properties, Manufacturer should be listed as Microsoft.
Regards,

Alexandra

0 Kudos
WTatt
New Contributor I

Thanks --- this does at least remove the UWD driver it seems ... but it still does not seem to resolve the original issue that it is not possible to update to the latest firmware on windows 10.

=======================================================================================================

Intel (TM) Firmware Update:

[1] Intel(R) RealSense(TM) 435 with RGB Module Depth (FW Version: 5.9.9.2)

Enter camera number to update: (any out of bounds index to go back to main menu)1

Enter path and filename (e.g. c:\Documents\newFirmware.bin: )Signed_Image_UVC_5_9_11_0.bin

Updating firmware to Signed_Image_UVC_5_9_11_0.bin

No DFU device was connected

Failed to burn firmware

Press any key to continue . . .

========================================================================================================

And Windows device manager still shows:

WinUsb Device - with an error.

========================================================================================================

And assistance would be greatly appreciated

Westa
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi westa,

Try to run the DFU tool again and this time select option 3: Recover devices stuck in Upgrade Mode.

Regards,

Alexandra
0 Kudos
WTatt
New Contributor I

HI alexandra,

Have tried that - its not stuck in Upgrade mode.

I can access the device in the viewer and it works fine.

It shows up as a device that is able to be upgraded.

BUT when I run the upgrade in the DFU - it fails.

When the upgrade starts - the DFU software seems to try to put the d435 into and upgrade mode - BUT windows then reports that

The last device you plugged in failed - and the sensor is now suck until i disconnect and reconnect it ...

The previous firmware upgrade worked fine.

But since the last windows update it seems like there is a driver issue of some sort.

Would appreciate any assistance in getting this device upgraded to latest firmware

Westa

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello westa,

Please try installing the latest UWP driver which contains the latest firmware:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27799/Intel-RealSense-D400-Series-Universal-Windows-Platform-UWP-Driver-for-Windows-10

Regards,

Alexandra
0 Kudos
WTatt
New Contributor I

Hey Guys,

Someone needs to have a look at that file ... it contains a bunch of virus type email txt file warnings.

And some of the files needed to do an actual install are missing ...

FROM THE NOTES

How to install

1. Unzip ZIP file.
  2. Right-click "RS400Camera.inf" -> Install.
  3. Click Yes or Next on all of the following dialog boxes.

And also - is this really the correct approach now to fixing the problem since the previous UWP driver rendered the device completely useless under windows 10.

Have all this issues been rectified?

Westa

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Westa,

You are right. The zip file we uploaded is corrupted. We are working on getting a fixed one up soon. I will update this thread when it is up. It may take 10 minutes - 12 hours.

Regards,

Jesus G.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Westa,

The correct RealSense UWP driver zip file is now up on Download Center. Installing this driver will cause your camera FW to be updated to the latest version 5.8.13. Please let us know if this helps.

Regards,

Jesus G.

Intel Customer Support
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi westa,

Unfortunately, it seems that your camera is faulty and if you want to replace it, you will have to return it to the place of purchase.

Regards,

Alexandra
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello westa,

I am very glad you were able to upgrade your camera firmware. Thank you for reporting your results. We will report this issue to the engineering team and see if we can reproduce it and file a bug if necessary. Do you need further assistance with this issue?

Regards,

Alexandra
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello westa,

It is not a driver issue or a hardware setting. It is the way that the manufacturer implemented the USB ports on the motherboard. There are many ways to do this. Some USB ports get the full bus speed and power while others share the bus and power. We have seen many cases where a RealSense camera will work well on one port on a PC but not on another port.

Regards,

Alexandra
0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Windows has a Troubleshooter mode, accessed in Windows 10 in the Settings interface that you could use to see if a hardware issue is affecting you. Windows may then be able to correct it. To find it, type 'settings' into the text box at the bottom of your Windows screen, next to the button where you shut down. Then:

- Go to the Update and Security section of the Settings window

- Scroll down and select 'Hardware and devices'

- Click the 'Run the troubleshooter' button that appears

0 Kudos