Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4762 Discussions

How to populate certain SMBIOS fields

RMoor2
Beginner

Hi All,

I have a need to populate 3 fields in the SMBIOS table for an S2600STB server board: family, sku number and uuid. Several of the SMBIOS fields are presently being populated from the BMC FRU record but these 3 are not defined in that record.

I'm guessing that there's a tool that can be used to set these 3 fields but I have been unable to locate one. Does anyone know how these fields are populated in the SMBIOS table.

Thanks.

Bob

0 Kudos
10 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi BobMoore55,

In regard to your request; could you please provide us a screenshot of the options that you want to customize in the BIOS of the Intel® Server Board S2600STB.

Regards,

Miguel C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi BobMoore55,

I am following up on your last request. I will appreciate any update on what you want to change.

Regards,

Miguel C

Intel Customer Support
0 Kudos
RMoor2
Beginner

Hello Miguel,

I want to populate those 3 SMBIOS table fields: 1) SKU Number 2) Family 3) UUID. The System Management BIOS (SMBIOS) Reference Specification defines the fields that occupy the type 1 (System Information) structure. These fields are described in that document. Most of the other fields in this table are populated from the FRU record. The FRU record doesn't contain these 3 fields and I'm trying to figure out how to tell the BIOS what these fields should be initialized to. I think there should be a utility for performing this action but don't know what it would be called nor do I know where to find it.

Thanks.

Bob

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi BobMoore55,

The SKU Number, Family and UUID fields from System Information are board manufacturer proprietary fields showed in the BIOS. If you are using a third-party chassis, while you are doing the BIOS update, SDR – FRU section provides the option to fill out some fields manually.

BobMoore55, please send me the link of the document that you refer and a picture of the BIOS fields that you want to change. Additionally, let me know if you are talking about the same fields.

Note:

There is a new tool intended for S2600KP, TP, CW, WF, ST, and BP. It only works remotely and compatible with Linux. It is called Intel® Server Debug and Provisioning Tool (Intel® SDP Tool) rev1.2. I am sending you the user guide and tool.

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/server-products/server-boards/SDPTool_UserGuide.pdf

Intel® Server Debug and Provisioning Tool rev1.2

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27726/Intel-Server-Debug-and-Provisioning-Tool

This tool provides more options to handle the Intel® Server System remotely.

Regards,

Miguel C

Intel Customer Support
0 Kudos
RMoor2
Beginner

Hello Miguel,

Attached is the document that I'm referring to. If you go to section 7.2 System Information (Type 1) you can see the fields included in that section. It's the fields at offsets 08h, 19h and 1Ah that I'm interested in setting. We are manufacturing a storage server that uses the S2600ST server board and will be selling these to OEM customers who want to set these 3 fields.

I will take a look at the tool and doc you included to see if this meets our needs.

Thank you.

Bob

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi BobMoore55,

I have reviewed the documentation provided. The document describes the standard presentation of the system information. Now, Intel® motherboards already follow this standard and provide with the UUID and family fields. Both fields are unique and related to the board itself.

I would suggest you include the custom name to the chassis section of the SDR-FRU.

Regards,

Miguel C

Intel Customer Support
0 Kudos
RMoor2
Beginner

Hi Miguel,

Here's the type 1 system info from this board. I have changed the Serial Number for a test I was running. The UUID is set but the customer would like to change that. The SKU Number and Family are basically unpopulated.

[root@cos-rpalphaplus03 ~]# dmidecode -t 1

# dmidecode 3.0

Getting SMBIOS data from sysfs.

SMBIOS 2.8 present.

Handle 0x0033, DMI type 1, 27 bytes

System Information

Manufacturer: Intel Corporation

Product Name: S2600STB

Version: ....................

Serial Number: 012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012

UUID: 32F69C8D-1087-E711-A890-A4BF010558EA

Wake-up Type: Power Switch

SKU Number: SKU Number

Family: Family

I have experimented with adding to the product section of the FRU record (not chassis section). Additions show up as "Extra" fields (via ipmitool FRU print) but aren't populated in the SMBIOS table.

Thanks.

Bob

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi BobMoore55,

The UUID is a unique number of each board, it is equal to the MAC address of a network card.

In regard to Family and SKU fields are possible to change them using Intel® Server Debug and Provisioning Tool rev1.2.

Regards,

Miguel C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
RMoor2
Beginner

Hi Miguel C,

I know what the UUID is "conventionally" set to but I need to have the flexibility to allow an informed customer to change the UUID.

I have the SDPTool installed on my RH7.4 system. So far I haven't seen anything that would allow me to set Family and SKU Number fields. The documentation I downloaded with the tool doesn't mention anything about this but some of the commands could potentially handle it, if I only knew what they expect for arguments. Can you point me in the right direction here? Do you have any resources that could help?

Thanks.

Bob

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi BobMoore55,

The SKU field allows you to display node position in a chassis. The command is the following:

3.19 Node Position

SDPTool nodeposition

 To display node position in a chassis. Only supports half-width SKU

(*support available for select multi-node systems only)

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/server-products/server-boards/SDPTool_UserGuide.pdf# page=14

BobMoore55, the UUID field is unique in the BIOS of each motherboard. The newest BIOS boards provide the system information as it is, there are few fields available to customize.

Regards,

Miguel C

Intel Customer Support
0 Kudos