5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 16, 2018 8:16 AM by Intel Corporation

TB 2 to Firewire 800 on HP Zbook G2 and Win 7 Pro 64

cadman777

Dear Sirs,

I have an HP Zbook 17 G2 that has a Thunderbolt 2 port.

In an attempt to connect a Firewire cable to the TB2 port, I bought the only thing I could find: An Apple adapter

https://www.amazon.com/Apple-MMEL2AM-Thunderbolt-Usb-C-Adapter/dp/B01MQ26QIY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1528308270&sr=8-3&ke…

Unfortunately, this adapter doesn't register in Device Manager (I realize it was a gamble).

I've been to HP and they tell me they don't provide Windows drivers for their devices, b/c all their drivers are built-into their MAC OS.

I spent a few hours on the phone with HP business tech supt and they say they won't support the Apple adapter, b/c they say it's not "HP Certified".
      I asked them for an adapter that's HP certified, but they said no such HP device exists.

So I asked them WHY THEY PUT A TB2 PORT ON THEIR LAPTOP IF IT'S WORTHLESS.

They gave no answer.

I also inquired of various Thunderbolt device vendors that HP "authorizes", but none of them guaranteed that their TB2 devices would work on a Windows-based computer.

So FINALLY, I'm coming in here to find out FROM THE DESIGNER of the TB2-for-Windows device, IF, or WHERE I can download drivers for the Zbook TB2 port so I can get it to work with this Apple adapter.

Anybody have any ideas?
      Thanx ...

• 1. Re: TB 2 to Firewire 800 on HP Zbook G2 and Win 7 Pro 64
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello cadman777
            Thank you for your joining this community.
          I understand that you need driver assistance in order to make your Apple* Thunderbolt™ adapter.
          I regret to inform you that Thunderbolt™ is a system ingredient that is customized by each OEM differently on their platforms.  Intel provides firmware and driver updates directly to OEMs, but it is up to each OEM to perform validation testing and determine how and when those driver updates get rolled out to their customers on their public websites.
          Again, we regret that Intel ® cannot provide firmware that has not been validated by the OEM for release on their platform designs.
          Another thing that you can try is to contact the adapter manufacturer for additional assistance on this matter.
          Hope this helps.
          Regards,
          Diego S.

• 2. Re: TB 2 to Firewire 800 on HP Zbook G2 and Win 7 Pro 64
            Intel Corporation

Hello cadman777
            We just wanted to double check if you still need further assistance.
            Please do not hesitate on contacting us back.
            Best Regards,
            Diego S.

• 3. Re: TB 2 to Firewire 800 on HP Zbook G2 and Win 7 Pro 64
              cadman777

Hi Diego,

Thanx for getting back to me.

Your response took long enough!

‘Tricky Dick’ had a saying that went something like this, “if you delay long enough, the problem will solve itself.”

Wishful thinking, don’t you think?!

I see you're a good corporate slave, doing what you're told, so you can collect your regular paycheck.

Unfortunately, it’s too bad that nobody wants to take responsibility for this product defect.

Also, it’s too bad that nobody wants to ‘convince’ their ‘co-conspirator’ to fix the defect in this collectively-created product.

If I released a product or provided a service that failed in any way, and then I refused to, or otherwise deflected or failed to bring the appropriate remedy, I would be OUT OF WORK.

How convenient it is for people to hide behind the corporate veil so they can get away with being LAZY (or otherwise do wrong)!

Actually, today it’s not called ‘wrong-doing’, it’s just called “bad business”.

Effectively it’s MORAL CORRUPTION (= “fraud and theft”).

Please pass this along to the appropriate upline, that is, someone who has the power and ability to bring me a remedy.

Thanx! … Chris

• 4. Re: TB 2 to Firewire 800 on HP Zbook G2 and Win 7 Pro 64
                Intel Corporation

Hello cadman777

Thank you for your response and politeness.
                In this case, I just want to specify that even if we do not provide any type of support regarding the issue that you are experiencing, we really want to do our best in order to help you.
                In this case, your Thunderbolt ® Port could be working fine, and the firmware drivers as well, however the issue resides on the Apple* adapter that is only validated for Mac OS.
                As shared before Intel ® provides firmware and driver updates directly to OEMs, but they are the ones in charge of the optimization and validation of the drivers for Windows* based operating systems.
                While performing research, I was able to find this driver controller named Thunderbolt Secure Connect Utility:
                https://support.hp.com/au-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-zbook-17-g2-mobile-workstation/6978821
                You will find it under the “Driver Controller” section.
                Please test it out and check it that makes any difference.
                As recommended before, we suggest you to contact the adapter manufacturer for additional assistance on this matter.
                Hope this helps.

Regards,
                Diego S.

• 5. Re: TB 2 to Firewire 800 on HP Zbook G2 and Win 7 Pro 64
                  Intel Corporation

Hello cadman777,
                  We just wanted to double check if you still need further assistance.
                  Please do not hesitate on contacting us back.
                  Best Regards,
                  Diego S.