7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2018 4:53 PM by Intel Corporation

Help with Intel Graphics 5500

GamingisFun!

I have recently thought what would happen if I disable my Intel 5500 Graphics. I have a Dell Inspiron 15 5588 laptop and it has 5500 Graphics (integrated graphics) and Geforce 920M Graphics (dedicated graphics). Will it switch to the 920M if I disable my 5500 Graphics? (For your information I DON'T have a Nvidia graphics control panel). Another question is "Is there a way to switch from Intel 5500 to 920M?

• 1. Re: Help with Intel Graphics 5500
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Thank you very much for taking the time to reach the Intel Communities Team, GamingisFun!. I will do my best to assist you further.

In order to change the graphics controller, you need to access the NVIDIA* control panel. If you do not have it, it might be that the NVIDIA* graphics drivers are not installed on your system. You can download the drivers using this link: http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/inspiron-15-5558-laptop/drivers
          Filter the search using your current OS and then look for the nVidia GeForce /GTX /Quadro graphic driver and install it.

Once you install the drivers please follow these steps to change the controller:

1. Right-click on the desktop and select NVIDIA Control Panel. 
          2. Click Manage 3D settings in Select a Task. 
          3. Select your desired software from the Select a program to customize drop-down list on the Program settings tab. 
          4. Select the Intel® HD Graphics controller from the Select the preferred graphics processor for this program drop-down list. 
          5. Click Apply.

Antony S.
          • 2. Re: Help with Intel Graphics 5500
            GamingisFun!

Can I switch back to Intel Graphics 5500, if I am on the 920M?

• 3. Re: Help with Intel Graphics 5500
              GamingisFun!

And when I tried to install it it says graphics driver could not find compatible graphics harware

• 4. Re: Help with Intel Graphics 5500
                Intel Corporation

Thank you very much for your reply, GamingisFun!.

Let me share with you that there should not be any problem going back to the Intel® HD Graphics controller after switching to the Nvidia* controller. Then, if you are not able to install the drivers provided by the OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer), I recommend you, in this case, to contact DELL* Support so they can guide you through the drivers installation and switch the graphics controller.
                Please understand that we did not design this system and DELL* uses our controller as their convenience. In these cases, we are not aware of the design or limitations set by them.

Antony S.

• 5. Re: Help with Intel Graphics 5500
                  GamingisFun!

Apparently I contacted them and said I don't have a Nvidia graphics card, so I am wondering on what would happen if I disable the Intel HD 5500 Graphics. Also I have the latest version of the Intel 5500 Graphics card which is not from your website. I got it from settings > update. I don't know if that's the latest version.

• 6. Re: Help with Intel Graphics 5500
                    Intel Corporation

Thank you very much for sharing that information, GamingisFun!.

In that case, if you disable the Intel® HD Graphics controller on your system, most likely your screen will go black and you should not be able to revert that.

Regarding the graphics drivers inquiry you have: you can either have the latest graphics drivers from your Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) or the ones from the Intel® website. The difference between those is that the drivers provided by your OEM have been modified and optimized from your system and, the drivers from Intel® are generic drivers, as a result, some features might not be available for your system and the results may vary. We always recommend using the drivers provided by your system manufacturer.

Antony S.

• 7. Re: Help with Intel Graphics 5500
                      Intel Corporation

Hello, GamingisFun!.

I would like to know if you have any additional question. If so, do not hesitate to reply to this thread.

Antony S.