1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2018 11:50 AM by Intel Corporation

Use custom Framerates

harmonic

Is it possible to have the pipeline return images at the maximum possible frame rate consistent with exposure?

Currently if I vary the exposure on the IR cameras in linear increments, the pipeline will return frames at what I believe to be the closest maximum rate from a predefined set of rates (specifically at 30, 25, 15, or 6).

For instance if I set the exposure levels as shown below, these are the corresponding frame rates I receive frames at (1920 x 1080 IR @ max 25 FPS, from pipeline) .

Exposure (microseconds)
      Frame rate (FPS)

What I would like is for a smoother drop in frame rates as the exposure increases. I understand there is some underlying processing which limits how fast frames can be returned, but I would assume that if the pipeline can maintain 25 FPS at 35,000 exposure, then It should be able to maintain something slightly less than 25, say 20-24 FPS for a 40,000 exposure.

• 1. Re: Use custom Framerates
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello harmonic,

In the datasheet for Intel® RealSense™ Depth Camera D400 series page 52, you will see the supported framerates for each resolution. They match the frame rates that you are seeing. Frame rates are not continuous. Only certain frame rates are supported.

I hope you find this information helpful.

Please, let us know if further assistance is required or if we can close this case.

Best regards,

Josh B.
          Intel Customer Support

• 2. Re: Use custom Framerates
            harmonic

Hello Josh,

Thank you for the information.

I was just curious to see if it was possible to have custom rates. Currently my application operates at a constant rate anyway so operating at one of the predefined rates is not an issue.

Thanks,

Harmonic

• 3. Re: Use custom Framerates
              Intel Corporation

Hello harmonic,

Thank you for your reply.

I am glad to hear that you found the information we shared with you useful.

Please, let us know if further assistance is required or if we can close this case.

Best regards,

Josh B.
              Intel Customer Support

• 4. Re: Use custom Framerates
                sam598

Hi Josh,

Is it possible to have realsense cameras run at 24 and 25 frames per second? If not what is the possibility that these frame rates could be added?

They are extremely common frame rates for video production, and it's surprising to me that intel still doesn't support them after all of these years.

• 5. Re: Use custom Framerates
                  MartyG

Apologies for entering into Josh's case. 

You can gain access to 25 FPS streaming in the RealSense Viewer software in IR mode if you set the resolution to the maximum 1920x1080, disable Depth and set the IR format to Y8 or Y16.  If those conditions are met, the 'Off' button un-greys and becomes activatable.

• 6. Re: Use custom Framerates
                    sam598

Thanks Marty, that's interesting. Can depth then be enabled at 25 fps after setting color and ir?

25 fps is definitely useful for European and other PAL countries. Now if it could just go one frame slower...

• 7. Re: Use custom Framerates
                      MartyG

It's slightly complicated.     If you try to enable depth after successfully enabling 25 FPS then the off button re-disables.  Also, 25 FPS only seems to be available for the D415 camera model, and when the camera is in Calibration mode, or using RY8_LY8 image format (Dynamic Calibration mode).  Though somehow the RealSense Viewer allows that mode to be used without being in calibration mode.

• 8. Re: Use custom Framerates
                        sam598

Hmm, a depth camera without depth doesn't seem particularly useful, but I'm sure it has it's use cases, and it's a good sign that additional industry standard formats are possible.

Thanks for your help, and I look forward to hearing from Josh.

• 9. Re: Use custom Framerates
                          Intel Corporation

Hello harmonic,

Thank you for your reply. We will be sending your feedback to the RealSense engineering and development team; we will be updating this thread when we get a response.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Best regards,

Josh B.
                          Intel Customer Support

• 10. Re: Use custom Framerates
                            Intel Corporation

Hello harmonic,

Thank you for your patience.

We understand that 24 and 25 fps are common frame rates in video production. However, RealSense cameras are depth cameras and, as such, are targeted and optimized for depth usages such as in robotics, VR, drones, etc.

I hope you find this information helpful.

Best regards,

Josh B.
                            Intel Customer Support.

• 11. Re: Use custom Framerates
                              sam598

Hi Josh,

Harmonic was not asking about 24 and 25 fps, I was.

I think it's worth pointing out that there are several drones that capture footage at 24 and 25 fps, and augmented and mixed reality applications greatly benefit from industry standard video formats.

It would be a shame to limit the functionality of the device and prohibit additional use cases. If it's possible to provide support for these frame rates (that have been standards for decades) I would strongly encourage it.

Is it at all possible on a hardware level to provide support for this, and if so what would it take to get it done?

Thanks again for your quick replies, it's greatly appreciated!

• 12. Re: Use custom Framerates
                                sam598

It's also worth considering that right now, there is no such thing as a "standard" for depth camera framerates. There have only been a handful of commercial or near commercial depth cameras including microsoft kinect, dual camera smartphones, and realsense cameras. Also the dual camera iphone cameras capture depth at 24 fps, so it's not unheard of.

My point is; the "standard" for depth cameras are still being defined, in large part by Intel. I believe these formats need to be a part of that standard.

• 13. Re: Use custom Framerates
                                  Intel Corporation

Hello sam598,

Thank you for your reply,

As mentioned before in the datasheet for Intel® RealSense™ Depth Camera D400 series page 52, you will see the supported frame rates for each resolution. Frame rates are not continuous. Only certain frame rates are supported.

We will take your feedback into consideration for further development.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Best regards,

Josh B.
                                  Intel Customer Support

• 14. Re: Use custom Framerates
                                    sam598

Thanks Josh,

I am aware of the current frame rate limitations. My question (and I believe Harmonic's as well) was more asking if it's even possible for the hardware to support custom frame rates (is it a hardware limitation, or a firmware one?), and if so what would it take/when could developers expect support?

Since the feature is not implemented yet, and it's likely other developers will come to the forum to inquire about or request this feature, I'm not sure why you would want to close the case at this time?

Thanks again for your help and willingness to participate with the developer community.

1 2 Previous Next