1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 2, 2018 3:39 PM by lw1948

Windows 10 - Windows Updates - Black screen with cursor

lauwp

All,

Since a couple of years I own a NUC5I5RYH. No numerous problems (opposite: great little thing) but since the last 3 weeks I have a problem with a certain Windows Update (can't really tell you which one exactly)

Situation: I started using the computer with Windows 8.1 but upgraded to W10 2 years ago

Since then always automatically let the windows updates install, never touched that.

Until recently, I saw that my computer installs updates (quite sure they are 'minor' updates)

afterwards my computer reboots and hangs at a black screen with cursor and a icon turning around... (waited for an hour, nothing changed)

Found no other solution, already 3 times now, than to push "F8" at start up and go back to the most recent restore point (I always only have one)

Luckily afterwards everything is fine.

Turned off Windows updates the hard way (services.msc and a certain 'windows updates blocker' tool) but I guess the updates are already downloaded and after a couple days the same problem returns !!

What can I do ?

I already installed the latest drivers for audio, video,...

• 1. Re: Windows 10 - Windows Updates - Black screen with cursor
          lw1948

Solution 1:  Do you have IOBIT Advanced SystemCare installed on your system? If the answer is yes, uninstall it and let Windows to install the April Cumulative Update. After this update is finished, you may reinstall the Advanced SustemCare.

Solution 2: When Windows is stuck on black screen during update you may reboot in Safe Mode from Command Prompt. The Command Prompt can be reached from Advanced Option Menu. This menu you can reach after booting from Window Installation Media USB:

1. Boot from your Windows 10 installation USB.
          2. Select your language preferences and click/tap on Next.
          3. Click/tap on Repair your computer at the bottom.
          4. Click/tap on Troubleshoot.
          5. Click/tap on Advanced options.
          6. Click on Command Prompt
          7. In the Command Prompt write the following command: bcdedit /set {default} safeboot minimal and press enter to execute this command
          8. Close the Command Prompt window by clicking the X in the upper right corner of the Command Prompt window.
          9. Select Continue and sign in to Windows
          10. While in Windows, press Windows key + r. Run msconfig
          11. Chose Boot tab and uncheck Safe boot.  Reboot your system.

Leon