3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2011 3:45 AM by koitsu

Different between A+B Stepping Intel X25 G2

I have found this List.

Intel X25-M 80GB SATA Solid State Drive (7mm), A stepping  (SSDSA2MH080G201)
      Intel X25-M 80GB SATA Solid State Drive (7mm), B stepping  (SSDSA2MJ080G201)
      Intel X25-M 80GB SATA Solid State Drive (9.5mm), A stepping  (SSDSA2MH080G2C1)
      Intel X25-M 80GB SATA Solid State Drive (9.5mm), B stepping  (SSDSA2MJ080G2C1)
      Intel X25-M 80GB SATA Solid State Drive (9.5mm Retail) (SSDSA2MH080G2R5)

http://intel.seminars.net/flex/CurrentPointsEarningMatrix.pdf

What is the different between a stepping and b stepping ?

• 1. Re: Different between A+B Stepping Intel X25 G2
          jonat

A stepping, in the semiconductor industry, means a revision of one of the integrated circuits - probably the controller chip.  Such revisions are usually to correct errors (er - "errata").  Intel publishes errata lists for its CPUs but may not for the SSD controllers.  There won't be any functionality difference.  Might just be a timing cleanup or some such.  I can see that the product SKU changed.

It's also possible that it's a revision to the circuit board - trace change, part change, etc.

• 2. Re: Different between A+B Stepping Intel X25 G2
            TommyBoy

jonat wrote:

A stepping, in the semiconductor industry, means a revision of one of the integrated circuits - probably the controller chip.  Such revisions are usually to correct errors (er - "errata").  Intel publishes errata lists for its CPUs but may not for the SSD controllers.  There won't be any functionality difference.  Might just be a timing cleanup or some such.  I can see that the product SKU changed.

It's also possible that it's a revision to the circuit board - trace change, part change, etc.

What do you mean with "SKU" ? Greetings TommyBoy

• 3. Re: Different between A+B Stepping Intel X25 G2
              koitsu

SKU means "part number" or "model number", e.g. SSDSA2MH080G201.