Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Traffic lag issue on Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 and registry changes

WLee27
Beginner

On Lenovo T460/470 Windows 10 laptop, ping or throughput latency problem is sometimes observed.

Its network adapter Intel dual band wireless ac 8260 (with latest drivers 20.10.xx).

I got to know by googling that the lag issue is due to frequent WiFi scan behavior of Intel Wireless drivers and it can be resolved by setting the following registries and setting 'Roaming Aggressiveness' to 'lowest'.

"ScanDisableOnLowTraffic"=dword:0000001F

"ScanDisableOnMediumTraffic"=dword:0000001F

"ScanDisableOnHighOrMulticast"=dword:0000001F

"ScanDisableOnLowLatencyOrQos"=dword:0000001F

Changing 'Roaming Aggressiveness' to 'lowest' and changing values of the four registries make WiFi Scan disabled completely, then it leads to resolve lag problem.

Does anyone explain about the four registries?

And, is there any plan for Intel to update Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC driver to make WiFi-scan configurable?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello wonjin225,

We understand you were experiencing latency issues which were resolved by lowering your roaming aggressiveness and editing some registry values.

At this time, we cannot comment on future updates and features. However, I will make sure to pass your feedback along to our engineering team.

When your https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005546/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html roaming aggressiveness setting is "1. lowest," Your system doesn't roam. Only significant link quality degradation causes it to roam to another available access point.

- Did you test to see if your issue was resolved by only lowering your roaming aggressiveness? Or did you perform both changes before testing?

- Are you currently using the latest OEM provided drivers?

- Have you tested to see if the issue also happens when using our https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005559/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html latest drivers (20.50.0)?

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello wonjin225,

We haven't heard from you since the creation of this thread. Please let us know if there's anything else we can do for you.

Best regards,

Eugenio F.
0 Kudos
WLee27
Beginner

Thanks for advices.

When I tried 'roaming aggressiveness' setting as '1.lowest' only (without setting the four registry), then it couldn't help improve traffic speed. which means the four registry changes could work.

This behavior is observed with the latest drivers (20.50.0) as well. There is no difference in the behavior between the latest driver and older drivers.

It would be better if WiFi scanning on traffic state can be configurable for the next version of drivers in future.

Thanks a lot.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello wonjin225,

We just wanted to let you know that we recently released driver version https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27849/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windows-10?product=86068 20.60.0 in case you wanted to test again roaming aggressiveness on your Lenovo* laptops and see how the latency behaves.

We hope this helps in this scenario.

regards,

Leonardo L
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello wonjin225,

We are writing to follow up on your thread, let us know if you were able to test the driver package 20.60.0 with the latency of the system.

Best regards,

Leonardo L
0 Kudos