3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 1, 2018 11:04 AM by MakinBacon

Windows 10 Boot Failure After RST Install

MakinBacon

After upgrading to windows 10 way back when it was first offered, my Intel RST software monitoring my RAID 1 system disappeared.  I waited awhile and then attempted to reinstall the latest RST software version available at the time, and that caused the system to no longer boot.  I gave up and reverted back to an earlier restore point without any issues.  I waited a year or more and today just attempted to again install the latest RST release  16.02.1086 for my system hoping the earlier issues have been resolved, and assuming if the system failed to boot, I could recover to an earlier restore point and just remove RST and give up on the product.

Well, after install, on first reboot, the system failed to boot with a kernel security check error. On the second attempt, the system did boot and I was able to use the RST interface to check the status of my RAID.  Problem solved, I thought.  But on a subsequent reboot, the system failed to boot again, giving a kernel security check error.  Windows 10 system repair and diagnostic options failed, so I just attempted a restore to an earlier restore point.  The restore process then reported failure, but the system did indeed boot this time with SRT still installed and functioning.  So I suspect while the Intel RST program may be incompatible with my system, the installation program went ahead and installed anyway on an incompatible system, unless there is some workaround or solution out there I don't know about.

So my question is this:  Is there actually a solution out there, or will Intel RST no longer work on my Windows 10 system?  And, most importantly, the install process noted that the install could not be reversed.  Does this mean my system could now be permanently hosed, or is there a way to disable RST on my system once this latest version has been installed?

System HP Elite 380t

Windows 10 home

Intel Core i7 930 @ 2.8GHZ

1394 OHCI Host controller

Dual Seagate ST3500428AS Hard Drives

Thanks in advance for any help that could be provided,

Jim

• 1. Re: Windows 10 Boot Failure After RST Install
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello MakinBacon

Thank you for joining the Intel Community Support.

I would like to get some information about your system. 

Please attach the Intel® RST system report. Follow these steps:

1.Open the Intel Rapid Storage Technology user interface (Start > Programs > Intel > Intel® Rapid Storage Technology).
          2.Click the Help icon.
          3.Click the System Report icon.
          4.Click Save.

Also, scan it using the Intel® System Support Utility. Follow the steps below:
          1.Download the Intel® System Support Utility and save the application to your system.
          https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600
          2.Open the application and click Scan to see system and device information. The Intel® System Support Utility defaults to the Summary View on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says summary to change to Detailed View.
          3.To save your scan, click Next and click Save. You can save the file to any accessible location on your computer.
          4. Attach the report to this thread.

Wanner G.

• 2. Re: Windows 10 Boot Failure After RST Install
            MakinBacon

Wanner, thanks for the prompt response, but since my original message, the system will no longer boot up.  All Windows restore attempts fail, as do all Windows 10 repair attempts.  I will not resort yet to the Win 10 reinstall that blows away all my programs until I am out of options.  Booting from the recovery screen or DVD I only have access to the command prompt, and it appears that the SSU utility does not support command line commands.  Perhaps there is a command line tool that can provide the data you need?  I can access all the files on my D: and E; drives, but the C: drive appears empty or unreadable.    

• 3. Re: Windows 10 Boot Failure After RST Install
              MakinBacon

Support has notified me that RST is not compatible and no longer supported for my chip-set after Windows 7.   I have assessed the corruption to my system boot drive is unrecoverable and therefore has gone ahead and successfully restored the drive from a backup system image.  Case closed, Thanks for the help.