13 Replies Latest reply on Jun 7, 2011 5:23 AM by Flying_Kiwi

DP45SG IDT 6224.3 v182 driver issue

longplaypg

BFG 9800 GT OC 1GB PCIE 2.0 x16 (in primary x16 slot)
      Core 2 Quad Q9550 95W
      PVS34G133ELK Patriot 4GB kit DDR3 1333 PC 10666
      KVR1333D3N9K2/4G Kingston 4GB kit DDR3 1333 PC3 10600 Bought to prove the Patriot ram was not dieing...
      BOXDP45SG (OMG WTFH) Bios 0125 current
      Antec Truepower 650W ATX12v V2.3 EPS12v V2.91 SLI XFIRE ORIGINAL POWER SUPPLY
      Rocketfish 1000w Bought to prove the antec power supply was not dieing...
      2x Hauppauge HVR 2250 PCIE x1 or X8 slot (both in x1 PCIE slots)

I must say i am NOT realy enjoying my time with the DP45SG, but something keeps me wanting to try fixing it after spending my hard earned money on something I can NO longer return for a full refund.

Audio: IDT 92xx Audio Driver 6224.3 v182 has problems after installing.

Fresh install of windows 7 64bit
      windows updates
      REBOOT
      Install Nvidia driver so i can see better
      REBOOT
      install audio driver so i can activate the optical spdif output (for some reason the MS driver does give me a working spdif?)
      asks me if its ok to restart and i give it permision to
      During the restart procedure it tells me the system is hung trying to play the logoff sound. I can force it closed or cancel and wait. Canceling and waiting never works. Force it closed and the computer reboots finally.

Next reboot you can install 6244.3 v182 over itself and it seems to not care this time during the restart and plays the logoff withoug hanging.

Is this a known problem?
      Is there a fix for this?
      Has anybody else noticed this? (yes i know everyone threw this MB away)

• 1. Re: DP45SG IDT 6224.3 v182 driver issue
          Flying_Kiwi

I realise your post is over 1 year old but YES this is a common issue with Intels 4 series boards using this audio chip (as far as I know just this one and the DG45ID - feel free to correct me anyone if you know of others) and even with newer IDT drivers. It really had me scratching my head after I went over to Dolby Digital via the TOSLINK (optical S/PDIF output) port on my DG45ID and these problems suddenly began. Fortunately the reversion to Microsoft drivers works for optical out on the DG45ID (at least with Win 7 SP1 drivers) so I'm using those because I cant trust the latest (even newer than you listed) ones from Intel to behave themselves. If you haven't already thrown this board away, log an issue with Intel tech support (as others here have done). The more people who bring this up, the more likely Intel are to get it sorted for all who are using optical out on affected hardware.

• 2. Re: DP45SG IDT 6224.3 v182 driver issue
            mechbob

You Know there are alot of people that do not know that TOSLINK is and will always be 2 chanel . you need a sys like Logitec Z-5500 to get 5.1 out of TOSLINK , I know this cause that's what I use and it sounds great. But the sound sys. has to decode to 5.1 to get 5.1..

• 3. Re: DP45SG IDT 6224.3 v182 driver issue
              Flying_Kiwi

Robert Gifford wrote:

You Know there are alot of people that do not know that TOSLINK is and will always be 2 chanel . you need a sys like Logitec Z-5500 to get 5.1 out of TOSLINK , I know this cause that's what I use and it sounds great. But the sound sys. has to decode to 5.1 to get 5.1..

Thanks Robert, I've expanded on TOSLINK on my original post. As it's a one way only communication method, whatever the fibre cable is plugged into cannot influence the reliability of the sending device ie in this case the port on the DP45SG and its associated software/drivers. This said, having incorrect settings in the configuration options for the port, may stop it working or cause audio clarity issues. I have mine set to 48 kHz and Dolby Digital (only) to match my receiver even though higher sample rates and other formats are offered (up to 192 kHz and DTS and Microsoft WMA Pro Audio). I'm not even sure that this Intel HD Audio hardware is capable of working at other settings.

Of course you are right that to corectly have more than 2 channels working, matching encoding/decoding hardware must be used but in this case, the problem is the port isn't even reliable enough to get stereo out of without causing audio related lock-ups, let alone 5.1 or 7.1. BTW, the original poster referred to the Microsoft drivers working with optical out - I assume that was a typo for this board and it meant to read that optical out does NOT work with the Microsoft drivers on this board.

• 4. Re: DP45SG IDT 6224.3 v182 driver issue
                mechbob

There is a newer IDT driver ( 6224.7 V186 )   8/2010   , you might try the newer driver and see if that fixes your problem??

• 5. Re: DP45SG IDT 6224.3 v182 driver issue
                  Curious592

One of my infrequent contacts with Microsoft forums covered this issue (no satisfaction).  In my case the speakers were removed after installation and the log-off sound could not be played, interfering with shutdown.  After adding speakers the issue stopped.  I never use the speakers and haven't experimented further.  This may or may not have something to do with the graphics card and absence of monitor speakers.

I have also found the coaxial cable connection can disrupt operation even if seemingly secure.

• 6. Re: DP45SG IDT 6224.3 v182 driver issue
                    Flying_Kiwi

Unfurtunately the new driver on the DG45ID exhibited the same lockup/reliability problems so I wouldn't get your hopes up with the DP45SG which uses the same audio codec. Whats really needed is a new new driver - hopefully Intel and IDT can work together to resolve this issue (even though both of these boards are getting on a bit).

• 7. Re: DP45SG IDT 6224.3 v182 driver issue
                      mechbob

When I was using my DP45SG , I had to download the drivers to desktop , than ran it in compatibility mode for Vista 64 Bit , than it worked OK . Even though it was supposed to be a windows 7 driver that was the only way I could get to work Go Figure??

• 8. Re: DP45SG IDT 6224.3 v182 driver issue
                        Curious592

The problems I have with one DG45ID are definitely caused by recording with my Hauppauge 1250 tuner.  This differs in causing occasional BSOD or slow start with restart required.  The symptoms vary depending on whether sleep or hibernation is involved.  The current suspect is the remote.  Although I rarely use it, it is installed.  This is older than the 2250 and the effects may vary.  Without further input from longplaypg it appears the problem was solved in the first post.  

• 9. Re: DP45SG IDT 6224.3 v182 driver issue
                          mechbob

I do not have any tv tuners on mine but I do have it hooked up to my 1000watt Yamaha Reciever.

• 10. Re: DP45SG IDT 6224.3 v182 driver issue
                            Curious592

Still sorry I didn't get a Yamaha to do remote speakers.  I wanted phono input and the unit advertised turned out to be demo so I bought Sony elsewhere.  Will purchase online next time.  Wattage ratings don't mean what they used to.  My Vista system is now for audio and works fine except for the monitor not sleeping by itself (works perfectly elsewhere w or w/o graphics card).

• 11. Re: DP45SG IDT 6224.3 v182 driver issue
                              Flying_Kiwi

That driver worked OK with my DG45ID under Win 7 (x86) as well as its sucessor when I was using normal analog speakers connected through the 3.5 mm jacks. It was only when I started using the optical output and Dolby Digital that the problems began. These locking up problems were remedied with Microsoft default drivers but apparently they don't give S/PDIF output on the DP45SG (maybe those users were overclocking though?). There are other posts regarding the same issue and a search for DP45SG audio brings up a few similar stories. How was your Yamaha receiver connected to the Win 7 PC with a DP45SG board?

• 12. Re: DP45SG IDT 6224.3 v182 driver issue
                                mechbob

Through a S/PIDF adaptor Coaxial .made by ASUS.

• 13. Re: DP45SG IDT 6224.3 v182 driver issue
                                  Flying_Kiwi

OK thanks for that update. If you are able to get Dobly Digital working reliably (without random audio induced lockups) using the electrical method of S/PDIF connection (and you didn't specifically mention if that was using Dolby Digital 5.1 or 7.1 sound - although I assume so), then that means the optical port controlling part of the drivers are to blame - perhaps not the Dolby specific code at all... Either way it all comes under the Intel/IDT provided drivers though.