10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 20, 2010 9:29 AM by shdrjones

VMware - WFW 3.11 & Netware 3.12

shdrjones

I'm attempting to get my 3.11 VM to see the Intel 82567lm-3 Gigabit network adapter.  Ethernet is provided by Netware 3.12 drop to an XP client.  I downloaded what I thought would work for the WFW guest OS.  The link layer loads fine, but the E1000ODI file won't load.  Complains there's not Gigabit network adapter present.

I was handed this image, so I'm going to rebuild the WFW VM myself to see if there's something that needs to be loaded from the distribution disks from Microsoft that were missing.  Anyone done something like this before?  Feel free to chime in.  Wouldn't be surprize if Netware doesn't support Pro/1000 speeds.

• 1. Re: VMware - WFW 3.11 & Netware 3.12
          Patrick_Kutch

In a virtualized environment, the VM (in your case WFW 3.11) doesn't actually 'see' the real hardware.  It would only see an emulated NIC.  Likely something called an AMD something something (if memory serves), or perhaps an e1000.  Depends on which version of VMware you are using.

You didn't specify what VMware you are using.  ESX does not support the 82567.

If you are using VMPlayer or maybe workstation, you would need to make sure your 82567 is configured to be virtualized.

• 2. Re: VMware - WFW 3.11 & Netware 3.12
            shdrjones

I'm using VMWorkstation 7.  Not sure if there's a Novell gotcha here too.  Haven't used ANY of this stuff for 20 yrs, so memory's rather dim.

I'm not sure how this VM I'm using was created.  It was handed to me to "go make it work", with as much info as that.  Bottom line is, as far as WFW is concerned, there's no network connections at all.

• 3. Re: VMware - WFW 3.11 & Netware 3.12
              shdrjones

The VM shows that there's networking allowed (at the VMWorkstation level).  It setup to use Bridged networking (not sure if that's what you're referring to by virtualized.)  If you give me an email address, I can snag a screen shot for you, to show you.  Don't know the ropes well enough here to carry on an in depth discussion on this stuff.  Just started last week, and never heard of VMWare until recently.

My address is steven.h.jones@saic.com.  That way you won't have to expose yours .

• 4. Re: VMware - WFW 3.11 & Netware 3.12
                Patrick_Kutch

I am afraid we've about reached the limit of my knoweldge regarding Workstation.  Basically, if your base OS can use the card, then Workstation should be able to virtualize the NIC for your VM.  If there are issues, you will have to talk to VMware (they have discussion boards as well).

You can't use the driver for the actual NIC in your VM.  You likely need to update/install VMtools in the guest OS.  Best of luck!

• 5. Re: VMware - WFW 3.11 & Netware 3.12
                  shdrjones

This is going to seem pretty basic, but I'm trying to create WFW 3.11 in my new blank VM.  I need to install DOS first (the friendly C: prompt).  So I downloaded the file from MS....how do I get the blank vdisk to see my fine file which I'd like it to load, run, and install.  Seems like I need a boot disk for that (I would normally put a floppy into the A: and the  boot code in the BIOS would read in and run the necessary installation.)

• 6. Re: VMware - WFW 3.11 & Netware 3.12
                    shdrjones

This is going to seem pretty basic, but I'm trying to create WFW 3.11 in my new blank VM.  I need to install DOS first (the friendly C: prompt).  So I downloaded the file from MS....how do I get the blank vdisk to see my fine file which I'd like it to load, run, and install.  Seems like I need a boot disk for that (I would normally put a floppy into the A: and the  boot code in the BIOS would read in and run the necessary installation.)

• 7. Re: VMware - WFW 3.11 & Netware 3.12
                      shdrjones

• 8. Re: VMware - WFW 3.11 & Netware 3.12
                        shdrjones

Okay, now I'm questioning whether WFW 3.11 under VMware will support Gigabit NICs at all.  I'm running this image I got from my team lead on different PC.  I'm having difficulty finding Gigabit adapters that say they run on anything earlier that Windows 98.  Have you gotten any Gigabit NIC to load under WFW at all?

• 9. Re: VMware - WFW 3.11 & Netware 3.12
                          Patrick_Kutch

I am afraid you will need to take this up with VMware.  Last I checked they still supported a MS-DOS environment (which as my ole gray matter seems to recall is what WFW 3.11 runs atop).

I am not familar with the compatibility list for what VMware workstation supports.  I do know that the NIC that the guest OS would 'see' is not the real hardware on the physical server, but rather an emulated device.  The emulated device is likely going to be a simple 10/100 NIC.  So if everything works as it should, your guest (WFW 3.11) would think it is using a simple 10/100 device while in reality, it could be communicating at near gigabit speeds.

• 10. Re: VMware - WFW 3.11 & Netware 3.12
                            shdrjones

So, DOS should be able to talk to some network adapter, and VMware will make connection with the actual NIC on the XP workstation.  This makes me think the customer who built this image I'm using made some hacks to it.  I don't see any other networking file other than some Netware stuff.  Guess I need to find a VMware person to ask some questions of.