6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2018 5:02 PM by lucaalberti

Processore T4400

lucaalberti

Scusate, sono nuovo, in questo forum, quindi non so se la domanda che sto per porvi è corretto porla qui o devo entrare in un thread diverso.

Comunque, premetto che possiedo un laptop ACER che monta il processore dual core Intel Pentium T4400 con due banchi di memoria DDR 3 a 399 MHz da 2GB ciascuno per un totale di 4GB che vorrei espandere a 8 acquistando due RAM DDR3 da 4GB ciascuna per sostituire quelle montate.

Il problema è che non trovo più in commercio memorie DDR3 a 399 MHz (in quanto piuttosto vecchiotte) ma solo memorie DD3 a 1.600 MHz, vorrei quindi sapere se posso comunque montare quelle da 1.600 oppure no. Ossia se il processore T4400 supporta una frequenza così alta.

Grazie per la collaborazione.

• 1. Re: Processore T4400
          N.Scott.Pearson

When I searched for Acer Laptops with T4400 processor, I found mostly laptops supporting DDR2 memory (which max out at 4GB). The one laptop that I found that supported DDR3 (1067MHz) memory was still listed as supporting a maximum of 4GB of memory. Bottom line, I do not believe that you can upgrade this laptop any further.

Hope this helps,

...S

• 2. Re: Processore T4400
            lucaalberti

Dear Scott,

I thank you for your kind and quick answer to my question.

But, my question was not related to the possibility of switching from 4 GB to 8 GB as I had already verified that it was possible because my PC is a 64-bit Acer Aspire 5738PZG and supports RAM up to 16 GB.

My problem then is not the expansion of memory but if I can use RAM with frequency in hertz of 1600 MHz instead of the currently present RAM whose frequency is 399 MHz that I can no longer find on the market.

• 3. Re: Processore T4400
              N.Scott.Pearson

Hhmmm, I wonder why that model never showed up in the search that I did...

Regardless, having looked at the specs, what I can tell you is that the laptop is designed for DDR3 1066/1067 memory. It says nothing about support for DDR3 1600. Does this mean that DDR3 1600 memory will not work? That is difficult to say (it depends heavily upon the BIOS implementation) but I would consider it possible. DDR3 1600 memory is (for lack of a better way to describe it) overclocked DDR3 1333 memory, not DDR3 1066/1067. Still, you never know; your BIOS was enhanced to support 4GB DIMMs, which were just emerging at that time, so it may have additional support capabilities. Remember that the memory buses are quad-pumped, which means that, to run at 1600, the clock is at 399MHz, so the memory already installed may be DDR3 1600 already.

To be safe, I would try to find real DDR3 1066/1067 memory. If you cannot, try to find a way to try out the DDR3 1600 memory without having to purchase it. If it doesn't work initially, see if your BIOS supports underclocking it to 1066/1067. Remember to test it with something like MemTest86+ before letting it boot into Windows. Also, remember your system supports only 1.5V memory, so do not attempt to use DDR3L memory (which is 1.35V).

Hope this helps,

...S

• 4. Re: Processore T4400
                lucaalberti

Hi Scott, thank you for your kindness, I will follow your advice. As for the PC model that you can not find maybe because it is rather old and maybe it was sold only in Europe, it originally had the 64-bit Vista Operating System. But I have updated it to WIN PRO 10 64-bit and everything works properly. The only problem he gave me was on the ATI Radeon 4500 HD video card with a resolution of 1366 x 768; after an update of the O.S. the resolution had dropped to 1024 x 768. I had to reinstall the driver in compatibility mode with WIN 8.1 and everything works normally. A thousand thanks again.

• 5. Re: Processore T4400
                  N.Scott.Pearson

You do understand that Windows 10 is not supported on laptops this old, right? While Windows 10 may run, it is not going to run well and, if you have any problems, you are on your own; neither Intel nor Microsoft will provide support for these kinds of problems. You can certainly come here and ask; we will always provide our pearls of wisdom, but this will only get you so far. I know of all sorts of issues that there is simply no solution for. So far, it appears you have been lucky; I hope this continues...

...S

• 6. Re: Processore T4400
                    lucaalberti

Thanks Scott, it's true that maybe I'm lucky, at least in this, but it's also a fact of experience. I take care of I.T. for over 40 years as CEO of an Italian software house that started working on the IBM main frames and then, in the 80s, we started, among the first in Europe, to deal with PCs, creating specific applications especially for laptops. This led me to having to solve aspects of O.S. and hardware compatibility. However, if I do not bother you, I will use your pearls of wisdom. Best wishes.