4 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2018 1:17 PM by N.Scott.Pearson

How Do I increase my VRAM with the intel core i7 7th gen?

Eliasmurphy

Hi all,

I have a Lenovo YOGA 910-13IKB with a Intel core i7-7500U with 16 GB installed ram and a 64-bit operating system running on windows 10, and yet my laptop has only 128mb Dedicated video memory, but 8161 shared memory.

How can I increase the Vram, because I cant even play comparably not very taxing games.

Sorry if the info is a bit incoherant, I do not know what info is relevant.

Thanks for the help!

Elias

• 1. Re: How Do I increase my VRAM with the intel core i7 7th gen?
          N.Scott.Pearson

The Intel HD Graphics driver is designed to automatically manage the amount of memory dedicated to it based upon current requirements. Modern games understand this and do not worry about verifying the minimum dedicated. Some older (and/or buggy) games will refuse to run if the dedicated memory is too small. In this case, you need to request a fix from the game designers. While you wait for this to not happen (sigh!), you can change the amount of dedicated memory. This is done in BIOS Setup.

I don't know whether the Lenovo BIOS even provides this capability, however, so cannot provide any guidance regarding where the settings might be found. All I can say is go into BIOS Setup and search for a set of parameters related to graphics. If you find them, be very careful how much you increase the dedication, as this could affect (degrade) the performance of Windows and other software applications. I would suggest that you double it and see if this is enough. If not, double it again (etc.).

At the end of the day, if your problem was one of poor performance, making changes to the dedicated memory may not make any difference. You will just have to see...

Hope this helps,

...S

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How Do I increase my VRAM with the intel core i7 7th gen?
            Eliasmurphy

Thank you very much!

the Specific case I am talking about with games are modern ones though, in this case, spacehulk deadwing, which has recently come out this year, I looked it up and aparently it needs a minimum of 2500 (forgot the smaller numbers) of VRAM. As soon as I start the game, already in the startup screen with the company names the framrate is just hurrendos, and the cursor lags as well. When I looked up on 'can I run it' the game, it said i didnt have enough VRAM and everything else is okay for the game.

Does this mean my computer simply cannot handle the game or...?

• 3. Re: How Do I increase my VRAM with the intel core i7 7th gen?
              Eliasmurphy

*i couldnt find anything in the BIOS

• 4. Re: How Do I increase my VRAM with the intel core i7 7th gen?
                N.Scott.Pearson

This article: How to Increase Dedicated Video RAM in Windows 10 talks more about how to find the parameters in your BIOS and also how to "fake" the dedication reported to games. At the end of the day, you may simply have a game that has needs beyond that of Intel HD Graphics (or it has the same old bug).

Hope this helps,

...S