11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 5, 2018 2:32 PM by N.Scott.Pearson

Motherboard DB75EN BIOS Update

CMalcheski

This is a motherboard that was made in 2013, if I'm not misreading.  Windows-based BIOS update says "unsupported legacy BIOS."  F7 flash process fails with 0x8000000000000015, 1644.

No video card will work in the PCIe-16 slot.  Power on, no beeps, no video.  The BIOS settings have been tested in every configuration.  Left at onboard video "Auto."  Using HDMI cable with monitor from video card; using standard VGA cable when using primary onboard video.  Video card is older MSI / AMD Radeon HD3450.  Power supply is brand new 500 watt.  Onboard video works fine but there is no DX11 support.  Entire system will be upgraded when $$$ allow but for now this is what I have.  Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Motherboard DB75EN BIOS Update
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello CMalcheski,

I understand that you are having problems with a BIOS update as well as it is unable to power on, no beeps or video. 

First, I would like to begin with telling you that this device is out of interactive support, Intel ® Does not manufacture motherboards anymore, nevertheless, I will try my best to assist you in what I am able to.

I would like to start by asking you if the system shows the BIOS or not because as you mentioned, there is no video so I want to know. If there is no video then there will not be much we can try except for maybe changing the different peripherals (RAM, Processor, Power Supply, etc) to rule out possible problems.

Regards,
          David V

• 2. Re: Motherboard DB75EN BIOS Update
            CMalcheski

Thanks for the reply.  I guess I need to be a little more clear on what the issue is.  When I power up without any video card in the PCIe slot - using only the onboard video - there are no problems.  Everything works, starts up, functions normally.  When I plug a video card into that AGP slot, no video whatsoever.  I even tried it with both a VGA cable going from the onboard video to the monitor, and an HDMI cable going from the video card to the same monitor - I figured one or the other should work.  Neither does. I tried only the HDMI cable from the card and only the VGA cable from the onboard video port, when the video card was plugged in.  No video when the card is plugged into that slot.  Indications are that the video card is being detected during startup and so onboard video is disabled in response.  Then the card fails to work.  I've tried 2 cards in that slot; both cards work on another system but the "no video" problem persists on this one. 

I'm not sure why the BIOS update is failing since I get the F7 option to flash it during startup.  Then none of the software available will flash it.  No usable reason given; it just fails.  I've tried the Windows BIOS utility and the F7 option .BIO file.  Both refuse to work; no usable reason given.

I know it's an old board and out of support for some time.  I just never expected to be blocked both from using a video card and from updating the BIOS.

• 3. Re: Motherboard DB75EN BIOS Update
              N.Scott.Pearson

Chris,

Please more-fully describe your system setup (processor, memory, video card(s), storage, etc. - and use part numbers everywhere possible) and the history behind this failure. For example, is this a new build or an existing build that has developed a problem. If the latter, what changed?

...S

• 4. Re: Motherboard DB75EN BIOS Update
                Intel Corporation

Hello CMalcheski,

I am following up with your case and see that we have not heard back from you.

Please provide the information requested above.

If you need more assistance do not hesitate to reply.

Regards,
                David V

• 5. Re: Motherboard DB75EN BIOS Update
                  CMalcheski

Hi David,

Thank you ... in order to provide the information you need, I have to completely disassemble my entire system.  I need a magnifying glass to get the part #'s off the memory boards, etc.  It's quite a job.  I will begin the work on Friday morning, 6/1. 

• 6. Re: Motherboard DB75EN BIOS Update
                    CMalcheski

I'll post what information software will give me.  Hopefully it will be enough.

I bought this board used off eBay.  (Buyer beware.)  The PCIe slot has never worked.  Tried 2 different video cards - both Radeon HD3450 (one MSI, the other mfgr. unknown; is presently in another system).

Motherboard: Intel DB75EN

Memory: 8GB total - first 4GB, 2 boards - second 4GB, single board

Power supply: EVGA 500 Watt

Disk drives: Seagate ST1000DM003-1ER162, Western Digital WD10EAVS-00D7B1

BIOS: (need reboot w/F7 to get full version # - is not latest; latest fails install as outlined above)

It's a very simple system.  That's really all there is.  All of my development work is in assembly language under Win 10 so I don't need a lot more than that.

• 7. Re: Motherboard DB75EN BIOS Update
                      CMalcheski

I keep wondering if the memory setup isn't a problem ... 2 boards and 1 board.

• 8. Re: Motherboard DB75EN BIOS Update
                        Intel Corporation

Hello CMalcheski,

Thank you for your response.

Regarding what you mentioned about RAM. There is something we can try in order to test this and see if it is the problem. You can try booting with only 1 RAM, you can try with different modules to test and see if it makes a difference. Nevertheless, this seems to be more related to a hardware problem. 

I hope this helps.

Regards,
                        David V

• 9. Re: Motherboard DB75EN BIOS Update
                          N.Scott.Pearson

Chris,

I agree with David; test with a single DIMM installed in Channel 0 Slot 0 initially.

At the same time, let me add that your issue with the PCIe x16 slot may simply be that the graphics card that you are using is incompatible with the EN board and its BIOS. You can try enabling UEFI (this often fixes the problem), but there are simple a lot of boards around that the Intel 7 Series boards cannot handle. Try enabling UEFI. If that doesn't work, try an older graphics card.

Hope this helps,

...S

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: Motherboard DB75EN BIOS Update
                            CMalcheski

I tried booting with UEFI enabled, then with 1, 2, then 3 boards.  No video.  So I think N. Scott Pearson's conjecture that maybe the video card is just too new could well be correct.  The motherboard is probably considerably older than 2013 and I probably just have that date wrong.  It's apparently a 2nd gen i5 processor.

Thanks much to those who replied ... it's sincerely appreciated!  I'm saving my pennies until I can do this right and upgrade to an i9 mega massively extreme(ly awesome) CPU.  All I want for Christmas....

• 11. Re: Motherboard DB75EN BIOS Update
                              N.Scott.Pearson

Unfortunately, the only way to tell is by installing a much older graphics card...

...S