Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Wireless Adaptor TX power in dBm

idata
Employee

Within various intel documentation it lists the following explanation with regards to adaptor TX power settings......

The optimal setting is to set the transmit power at the lowest possible level still compatible with communication quality. The setting allows the maximum number of wireless devices to operate in dense areas. It reduces interference with other devices that share the radio spectrum. If you decrease the transmit power, you reduce the radio coverage.

• Lowest: Sets the adapter to the lowest transmit power. Increase the number of coverage areas or confine a coverage area. You should reduce the coverage area in high traffic areas to improve overall transmission quality and avoid congestion or interference with other devices.
  • Medium-low, Medium, or Medium-high: Set by country requirements.
  • Highest (Default): Sets the transmit level of the adapter to a maximum. Use this setting in environments with limited radio devices for maximum performance and range.

What are the dBm ranges or fixed rate associated with each setting???

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello tclairmont,

We understand you're looking for more information regarding the Transmit Power advanced setting on your Intel® Wireless Adapter.

For actual dBm ranges you will need to engage your http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/topics/OEMs.html computer manufacturer, as this will be country and antenna dependent.

As for a fixed rate associated with each setting, we will need to investigate and see if we're able to share this information.

To help with this investigation, please share the following:

1. Brand and model of your computer.

2. What is the model of your Intel® Wireless Adapter?

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello

I have engaged Intel engineers and they have provided

documentation for many topics but it does not include this detail, in regards

to dBm values at the TX power settings.

Although we have many laptop/adaptor combinations, for the

purpose of discussion I am using a Lenovo T470 with a Intel(R) Dual Band

Wireless-AC 8260 adaptor. I am located in Canada.

Thanks

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello tclairmont,

We're currently working on locating this information for you.

Please check your private messages.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have responded to your private message

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello tclairmont,

At this point, we're not able to provide any additional details in regards to the adapter's transmit power settings. Our current instruction is that this information should be provided by your computer manufacturer, if available.

Perhaps you could provide more information about the problem that you're facing, we may be able to provide some suggestions or guidance.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos