14 Replies Latest reply on May 29, 2018 2:36 PM by rguevara

Nuc 7i5bnh Why no Audio 24bit/192khz possible with newer Graphicdriver-Packages

animaniac

Hello

I know there are some Threads with this Questions/Problems already, but:

No One from Intel says/writes why the Audiosetting 24bit/192khz is not implemented, (or was removed) as it was in the Audiodriver 6.16 !!!

With the newer Drivers there is no Option to go to this setting in the Windows-Audio Options.

Highest Value is 24bit/176khz.

And Please don´t tell me that the Nuc 7i5bnh has no possibility to go at 24bit/192khz, it is simply wrong !

I had it running with this setting, and, shame on me, i tried the newest Graphics Driver where i thought maybe the Intel-Guys waked up and

made a Audiodriver that is cappable to get all out of this Box, but NOOO, its gone !

I don´t care about the newest Graphic-Standard,HDR,10bit blah blah...

Roll back to the Audiodriver 6.16 is not possible, as Windows says that this Driver is not the right Driver for this Device.(what simply is not true,

as i had it running with the Version 6.16).

I use this Box maybe 30% for Videoplayback with VLC , 20% Internet,the Rest for Audioplaying with foobar over Pioneer-AVR and PanasonicUHD-TV

So, long Text but simple Question:

When will the Audiosetting 24bit/192khz implemented ?

regards

animaniac

• 1. Re: Nuc 7i5bnh Why no Audio 24bit/192khz possible with newer Graphicdriver-Packages
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello animaniac,

Thank you for joining the Intel Community Support.

I understand that the audio setting 24bit/192khz is not available in Windows after installing the latest graphics driver available. To address this issue properly, I would like to gather basic information about your system and setup. 

First, please scan your system using the Intel® System Support Utility. Follow the steps below:
          1.Download the Intel® System Support Utility and save the application to your system.
          https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/91600/Intel-System-Support-Utility
          2.Open the application and click Scan to see system and device information. The Intel® System Support Utility defaults to the Summary View on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says summary to change to Detailed View.
          3.To save your scan, click Next and click Save. You can save the file to any accessible location on your computer.
          4. Attach the report to this thread. 

Also, please provide the following information:

1.Pioneer-AVR model
          2.PanasonicUHD-TV model
          3.Describe the connection configuration. For example, the Intel® NUC is connected to the HDMI input of the receiver; the receiver is connected to...
          4.Please explain the steps you follow so that we can reproduce the issue, if possible. 

Wanner G.

• 2. Re: Nuc 7i5bnh Why no Audio 24bit/192khz possible with newer Graphicdriver-Packages
            animaniac

Hello

Thanks for giving Advice.

Ok, connection of my Stuff is:

Nuc > HDMI > Pioneer SC-2024 > HDMI > Panasonic TX-58DXW784

As i had written before, there were no Problems with this Combination and using the Audio-Driver Ver.6.16

from the Graphics-Driver Package GFX_WIN10_64_15.45.18.4664.

I had to install the 6.16 version manually after installing the Graphic-Driver, but that´s ok, i can live with it.

But now after trying the newest Driver, no possibility to go back to the 6.16 version. Thats maybe a Windows 10 Problem, i don´t know yet.

Changing to 16bit/192khz is possible in the Windows- Audiosettings, but there is no 24bit/192khz Option in the List !

And i have a lot of 24bit Audio-files that i can´t play anymore.

When it all was running as mentioned, the Pioneer AVR shows the right Sample-Setting 24bit/192khz on the Display.

I just cant´understand why it was removed from the newer Audio-Drivers when it in the HDMI-Specifications is clearly

defined for HDMI 1.2 max. is 24bit/192khz on 8 Channels and the Nuc-Box has HDMI 2.0a Standard.

And just to say it again: IT IS A DRIVER-PROBLEM, not a Hardware-Problem !!!

The Nuc can do it, the Pioneer AVR can do it.

Thanks for your Time

animaniac

• 3. Re: Nuc 7i5bnh Why no Audio 24bit/192khz possible with newer Graphicdriver-Packages
              Intel Corporation

Hello animaniac,

Thank you for the information provided. 

I was checking the information carefully and I was wondering if you tried installing the latest version available for the Intel® NUC or the graphics controller. I would like you to perform a clean install of the latest driver for the Intel® Iris™ Plus Graphics 640.
              Please follow these steps:

1. Disconnect your unit from the internet.
              2.Please uninstall both the Intel Graphics driver and the Intel Display audio driver. To do this, please follow the steps on the link below under these sections: 
              -Uninstalling the Intel Graphics Driver via the Device Manager Method
              -Uninstalling the Intel® Display Audio Driver or the Intel® HDMI Audio Driver via the Device Manager Method.
              https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005598/graphics-drivers.html

3.Restart your Intel® NUC. Please go to the device manager and check if Windows installed another version of the graphics driver. If it does, please remove it and restart your computer one more time. Repeat the process until you get the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter.
              4.Once you do, please proceed with the clean install of the latest graphics driver version. Please find the link below:
              https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27680/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10?product=98911
              5.Once the latest driver has been installed, you may enable the internet connection again.
              6. Please let me know how it goes. 

Wanner G.

• 4. Re: Nuc 7i5bnh Why no Audio 24bit/192khz possible with newer Graphicdriver-Packages
                animaniac

Hello

After trying the uninstal-procedere as mentioned, (yes, there was the MIcrosoft Basic Driver in the Device Manger List) and installing the Driver You posted,

i am sorry to say this,

as said before, no 24bit/192khz in the Microsoft Audio Manager List.

Highest possible Sample-Rate is 24bit/176.4khz.

The funny part is, the Windows Audio Manger recognised that the Pioneer AVR has 24bit/192khz support.

Then i tried again to manually install the older Version of the Audio-Driver 6.16 and guess what ?

It works !!!

So, it is just a fact that the newest Audio-Driver can not do 24bit/192khz !

And no thanks, i am not trying to use any other Driver as it runs yet, finally. (even the next "Newest Version" i am not interested)

But i am really glad that You take some Time for helping me with this matter.

Thank You

animaniac

ps: Maybe a short Message to the Intel Driver-Programmer Group should be a good Idea to get rid of this Problem.

• 5. Re: Nuc 7i5bnh Why no Audio 24bit/192khz possible with newer Graphicdriver-Packages
                  Intel Corporation

Hello animaniac,

I am glad to hear that you were able to install the older driver version, which works better for you. Because your feedback is highly appreciated, I would like to do further research about this issue.

Please fill out the following information. It will be really helpful.
                  https://communities.intel.com/thread/77761

Wanner G. 

• 6. Re: Nuc 7i5bnh Why no Audio 24bit/192khz possible with newer Graphicdriver-Packages
                    Intel Corporation

Hello animaniac,

I am just writing to follow up on your case. Were you able to fill out the information provided before?

I look forward to hearing from you. 

Wanner G. 

• 7. Re: Nuc 7i5bnh Why no Audio 24bit/192khz possible with newer Graphicdriver-Packages
                      animaniac

Hello,

Sorry for being late with a reply, lot of work at the moment.

I really don´t understand what i should do with this Issue-List You posted since it is almost for Graphic-Issues.

There is no Graphicproblem on my Nuc-Box, it is only the Problem that the older Driver is more compatible for HI-Res

Audio as the newer Versions can do.

It should be helpfull when in the Drivers-Readme not only the Graphic-Fixes or changes are explained,

since there are changes to the Audio-Part as well.

Audio-driver 6.16 : Hi-Res Audio no Problem          (Folder-Size 1,96MB)

Audio-driver 10.22 and up : no 24bit/192khz support        (Folder-Size 5,87)

so,what are the changes when the newer Version is 3 times bigger and could not support all Audio-Sampleformats

as specified in the HDMI 1.0 and higher ?

Regards

animainiac

• 8. Re: Nuc 7i5bnh Why no Audio 24bit/192khz possible with newer Graphicdriver-Packages
                        Intel Corporation

Hello animaniac,

By filling out the information I sent you, I will be able to gather additional information to forward this issue to the proper department. Even though there is no graphics issue with your unit, the audio driver is included when you install the driver package.  
                        Probably, there is a regression issue that we can fix, but I need to get the confirmation from the proper department.

Please let me know if you can help us filling out the form so that I can confirm why the Audio-Sampleformat was not supported by the newest driver available. I would like to follow up on this issue, so I will try to get as much information as I can about this. 

Thank you for your feedback. 

Wanner G.

• 9. Re: Nuc 7i5bnh Why no Audio 24bit/192khz possible with newer Graphicdriver-Packages
                          animaniac

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue

with newest Graphic-Driver not possible to select 24bit/192khz for audio-output in windows audio manager

Please place an X to the right of the option showing how often you see this issue using specific steps. (Ex: 'Every few times a game is started it flickers.' <- This would be "Often")

Always (100%): X

Often (51-99%):

Sporadic (20-50%):

Very Sporadic (<20%):

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

Intel Nuc 7i5BNH

Hybrid or switchable graphics system?
                          ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?

Integrated

Make and model of any Displays that are used to see the issue (see note2 below).
                          LFP
                          = Local Flat Panel (Laptop panel)
                          EFP = External Flat Panel (Monitor you plug in)

EFP

TV Panasonic TX58-DXW784

How much memory [RAM] in the system (see note2 below).

16GB

Provide any other hardware needed to replicate the issue.
                          ie: Cables&brand, cable type [vga, hdmi, DP, etc], dock, dongles/adapters, etc

AV-Receiver Pioneer SC-2024

Highspeed HDMI-cables

Hardware Stepping (see note1 below).

picture attached

Software (SW)

Operating System version (see note2 below).

Windows 10 Pro 64bit  ver.1709 build 16299.431

VBIOS (video BIOS) version. This can be found in “information page” of CUI (right click on Desktop and select “Graphics Properties”.

Graphics Driver version; for both integrated Intel and 3rd party vendors (see note2 below).

SW or Apps version used to replicate the issue.

Windows Audio Manager, foobar2000

Configurations

Single display, clone, or extended (see note2 below).

single

Display resolution & refresh rate setting of each display (see note2 below).

1920x1020 60p hz

AC or DC mode, i.e. is power cable plugged in or not?

AC

How to repro

Please provide steps to replicate the issue.  These steps are very crucial to finding the root cause and fix.
                          A screenshot to illustrate the issue is a huge plus. A video of the failure is even better! Attach to the post or provide the YouTube link.

1. install the newest Graphicdriver
                          2. go to Windows Audio Manger with a right-click on the Loudspeaker-Symbol
                          3. select Playback-Devices
                          4. double-click on Standard-Device (in my Case the Pioneer AVR)
                          5. click on extended
                          6. open the Sampleformat-List
                          7. highest Value to select is 24bit/176khz
                          8. close the Windows Audio Manager
                          9. got to Windows Device Manager
                          10. select the Intel Display-Audio Device under Sound,Video Gamecontroller
                          11. manually install the Audiodriver 6.16 from the Graphicdriver Package 15.45.18.4664
                          12. go back to the Windows Audio Manager
                          13. open the Sampleformat-List
                          14. highest Value to select is 24bit/192khz

grafik_hardware-id.jpgaudio_manager.jpg

Hello Wanner G.

I tried my best to fill out the Information-List, hope it helps.

If something is missing, please let me know what and i try what i can do.

thx

animaniac

• 10. Re: Nuc 7i5bnh Why no Audio 24bit/192khz possible with newer Graphicdriver-Packages
                            Intel Corporation

Hello animaniac,

I appreciate your help.

I will forward this information to the proper department and I will post an update as soon as I have it available.

Wanner G . 

• 11. Re: Nuc 7i5bnh Why no Audio 24bit/192khz possible with newer Graphicdriver-Packages
                              rguevara

Hi animaniac,

This may be difficult to explain but if you check the hardware specification for the product: https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/boardsandkits/NUC7i5BN_NUC7i7BN_TechProdSpec.pdf and you go to page: #25, please check the Integrated Audio Provided by the HDMI and Type C interfaces:

SampleRate.jpg

If you look at the table above, it means that the hardware has been validated to 176.4Khz/24 bit, 8 channel, of course this has to be supported by driver, it is very common that the hardware has the potential to support additional features (in case sample rates) but validation sets the device to a certain capability.

If a previous driver is not locking up the audio device to the hardware specification and allows a higher sample rate, I would recommend that you stay with it if you are not having any additional issue.

Thanks,

Ronny G

• 12. Re: Nuc 7i5bnh Why no Audio 24bit/192khz possible with newer Graphicdriver-Packages
                                animaniac

Hello

Really funny, the List you had posted.

By simple changing the Tech-Specs it doesnt explain why the 24/192 Samplerate was banned from the new Drivers.

And to make one Point clear,

You Guys tell us the Nuc´s are HDMI-Standard 1.0 and above cappable.

Simple a LIE when looking at the "New" Techspecs !

Look at this and try to explain why i should believe Intel Nuc-Boxes are full HDMI Standard Compatible:

HDMI - Wikipedia

Greetings

In the Tech-Specs i had downloaded last Year when i buyed the Nuc-Box this is on Page 25:

• 14. Re: Nuc 7i5bnh Why no Audio 24bit/192khz possible with newer Graphicdriver-Packages
                                  rguevara

Hi animaniac,

You are correct, on current TPS: https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/boardsandkits/NUC7i5BN_NUC7i7BN_TechProdSpec.pdf  page iv, you can find the changes we have done to the documentation.

We changed it from 192Khz/24 bit to 176.4Khz/24 on October 2017.

The TPS also states the following: Intel NUC Board NUC7i5BNB and Intel NUC Board NUC7i7BNB may contain design defects or errors known as errata that may cause the product to deviate from published specifications. Current characterized errata, if any, are documented in Intel NUC Board NUC7i5BNB and Intel NUC Board NUC7i7BNB Specification Update.

SpecUpdate.jpg

I apologize for any inconvenience this may has caused.

Regards,

Ronny G