Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14506 Discussions

Unknown Machine Check Exeption

SHaba
Beginner

Hi there,

I'm currently building a Workstation with older Hardware and got stuck at installing the operating system because neither Windows (7) nor Linux (xubuntu) wants to boot after installation. (I also tried to install Windows 10 but it didn't even let me do that because it recognised my 500GB HDD as a 2TB hard drive and rejected getting installed because "the drive needs to be an NTFS partition" (what is was).)

While investigating the Problem and trying to boot from an Arch Linux boot stick I found the following MEC messages that I could find no explanation for on the web or here in the forum:

[0.766681] mce: [Hardware Error]: CPU 6: Machine Check: 0 Bank 8: ealdec40008000b0

[0.766681] mce: [Hardware Error]: ISC 0

[0.766808] mce: [Hardware Error]: PROCESSOR 0: 206c2 TIME 1525011238 SOCKET 1 APIC 20 microcode 14

[2.889406] ERST: Failed to get Error Log Address Range.

[2.976060] APEI: Can not request [mem 0xbf77aab0-0xbf77ab03] for APEI BERT registers

After that the the OS boot messages start.

I've read that normally one should diagnose the dmesg output with mcelog but I interpret the last two lines as this is not possible in this case and since I've never done this before I didn't try yet because I don't expect a result due to this last two lines (please tell me if I'm wrong here and should try it anyway).

Has someone a Idea what's causing the Problem here? Which part of my system is flawed and do I need to replace it? (Please don't let it bee the motherboard. This thing is causing so many problems. It's already my second after the first one had a damaged dimm slot and I don't want to replace it AGAIN). Thanks in advance for listening too my problem and trying to help me!

As for my hardware specs they are as following:

Motherboard: Supermicro X8-DAH+-F Revision 2.01

Processor: 2x Intel Xeon X5690

Ram: 2x hynix 16GB DDR3 PC3-8500R HMT42GR7BMR4C-G7 REG ECC (one for each processor)

0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello sebastianhaban

Thank you for joining the community.

I will recommend verifying that the BIOS of the motherboard is up to date, also test that the HDD is working properly ( an option here could be a hard drive test from the manufacturer), you also could try with a different HDD to install the OS.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

SHaba
Beginner

Hi, Leonardo C.

I solved the problem with the OS installment by connecting the PC with an Ethernet cable during installation. Looks like updates must happen during installation to make Windows 7 or xubuntu work on this old hardware (I haven't tried Windows 10 another time yet but I think it might work too).

BUT:

The strange MCE messages described above are still present and I'm worried I might have some flawed hardware that needs replacement. How can I find out what they mean when the last two lines are telling me there is no log of them (that's at least y interpretation) ?

Greetings

Sebastian Haban

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello sebastianhaban

Thank you for your response.

I am glad to know that you have been able to solve the installation of the OS on your system, talking about the message that you are having I recommend to contact the Operating system for where you are getting the output for more accurate interpretation.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos