Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20589 Discussions

Does the Intel Pentium Silver Processor J5005 support Netflix in 4k / UHD?

CRuss5
Novice

I built a PC yesterday with the Asrock J5005-ITX motherboard. It's advertised as having HDMI 2.0 and supporting 4k @ 60hrz. This is true but I can't seem to get 4k for Netflix. I've updated Windows 10 and all of my drivers. Also, I installed HEVC video Extension from Device Manufactures but I still can't get it to works. I'm getting this error message in the netflix app: Error code: U7361-1255-C00D7159. I just wanted to know if this CPU supports 4k / UHD Netflix.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
CRuss5
Novice

It was a bios issue. Asrock sent me a bios update that hasn't been released on their website yet. Bios version 1.30.

View solution in original post

18 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello, cslim601. Thank you very much for taking the time to reach the Intel Communities Team. I will do my best to assist you further.

Please find in the specifications of the https://ark.intel.com/products/128984/Intel-Pentium-Silver-Processor-J5005-4M-Cache-up-to-2_80-GHz Intel® Pentium® Silver J5005 that the Intel® UHD Graphics 605 controller that your processor has will support 4K@60Hz. Keep in mind that you should use an HDMI* 2.0 cable and, your monitor should have an HDMI* 2.0 port as well. I would like to know which is the model of your monitor. Furthermore, can you achieve 4K on the Netflix webpage? Additionally, what is the maximum resolution show on the Intel® HD Graphics Control Panel?

Antony S.
0 Kudos
CRuss5
Novice

I am using HDMI 2.0. I've used 2 different HDMI 2.0 cables. I'm using a Sanyo 4k TV. Netflix @ 4k does work on this TV using my other PC with Nvidia 1080ti.

I think something might be wrong with my drivers. When I open Intel UHD Control Panel and click on the "display" icon the application crashes.

Please help

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, cslim601. Thank you very much for your reply and the information provided.

Can you please share with me the complete model of your TV? Furthermore please follow this guide in order to generate a Graphics Report when the TV is connected and, attach it to this thread. Additionally, please provide me with a DxDiag* report. Please follow these steps to generate it:

1. On the keyboard, press WinLogo key + R.

2. In the Run box please type dxdiag and hit Enter.

3. Click on Save All Information (save it to your desktop).

4. Attach the .txt file that was generated. To attach a file, you must click the "Attach" option on the bottom right-hand corner of the response box.

Also, please keep in mind that the only Netflix* subscription that supports 4K is the Premium one and, not all the movies or series will support 4K. Please make sure you are using the correct plan and you are testing this with a 4K supported video.

Antony S.
0 Kudos
CRuss5
Novice

Sanyo FW50C85T

I do have the premium Netflix service. I am testing this with 4k content like Plant Earth II. Like I stated, this works perfectly find on my other PC.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, cslim601. Thank you very much for your reply.

Please try installing the latest graphics drivers provided by the manufacturer of your mainboard. Find the download link here: http://asrock.pc.cdn.bitgravity.com/Drivers/Intel/VGA/VGA(v23.20.16.4843).zip http://asrock.pc.cdn.bitgravity.com/Drivers/Intel/VGA/VGA(v23.20.16.4843).zip

Let us know the results.

Antony S.
0 Kudos
CRuss5
Novice

This didn't help. Everything I've done today

I uninstalled previously installed display drivers

Uninstalled Netflix app

Installed recommended drivers

Installed Netflix app

Reset Hevc app

Restarted a few times

Still no UHD Netflix in Edge or App

Still getting the error message I mentioned when trying to play UHD videos

0 Kudos
CRuss5
Novice

It was a bios issue. Asrock sent me a bios update that hasn't been released on their website yet. Bios version 1.30.

DDGUK
Beginner

Asrock have emailed new firmware 1.30, but when I run exe.bat it comes up with error on updating even though I followed instructions to the letter.

The support engineer at Asrock also tried and came up with the same results as me. Hes contacting asrock head office for explanation.

0 Kudos
CRuss5
Novice

I had problems with this also. The thing I was doing wrong was copying only the file and not the entire folder to the USB drive using the instant flash method. Hope this helps

0 Kudos
DDGUK
Beginner

Did you short the txe header pins while the upgrade was taking place ?

0 Kudos
CRuss5
Novice
0 Kudos
DDGUK
Beginner

Thanks for your help. It worked. Thanks

0 Kudos
WKong4
Beginner

So did you guys get the Asrock J5005 to stream Netflix in 4K. I downloaded and updated my BIOS to 1.30 and I still can't get it to stream Netflix in 4K. Did you need to use the Microsoft HEVC video extension. Also I was only able to do the BIOS update by the instant flash. Shorting the TXE pins did not work for me. Any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
CRuss5
Novice

Yes, you need the HEVC app from Windows store. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/hevc-video-extension/9n4wgh0z6vhq Get HEVC Video Extensions from Device Manufacturer - Microsoft Store

Try resetting or uninstall ing and instaling the Netflix app. Also make sure you are using VGA drivers from Asrock for the J5005-itx. Restart and you should be good to go.

0 Kudos
WKong4
Beginner

Thank you but it still doesn't work for me. I have a LG OLED B7 and I tried all the HDMI ports but I can only stream Netflix in 1080p. Netflix will stream in 4K when I use the app on my TV but the app on the computer can only stream in 1080p. There

is a review of the NUC on YouTube that the NUC with the J5005 streams Netflix in 4K. Hopefully I can figure this out.

0 Kudos
DDGUK
Beginner

Hi. New instructions and packaged file for update from asrock. Also this was email reply from support.

TXE version under BIOS will be read with correct TXE version, however, without shorting the TXE header, TXE options will not update thoroughly.

To update TXE completely, it will need to short the TXE pins combined with FPT tool.

I have checked the package, there were something missing in the file.

I have update the revised file please refer to the SOP to find the download link for the revised file.

I ran the tool on the board where I used Instant Flash to update the BIOS. Seems to work fine.

And I also tested it on a new J5005-ITX. Also working.

If you want to try it as well and run into any error message then please use the clearCMOS jumper to reset the CMOS:

- Switch off power first

- Press power button to discharge

- Put a jumper cap (not included) on the clrCMOS jumper. Or short the 2 pins with a metal object.

- Wait around 10 seconds

- Remove the jumper cap

- Switch on power and start the system. The system might restart automatically a few times. Please give it a minute.

- Enter setup via F2

- Load default settings via F9

- Save via F10

0 Kudos
WKong4
Beginner

Thank you. It is finally working now. I shorted the TXE and updated it and now Netflix will now stream in 4K. Hopefully they will allow us to get HDR!

0 Kudos