1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2018 4:45 PM by Intel Corporation

Bluetooth vanishes until I power cycle

thedevilsjester

I have an NUC7I7BNH running Windows 10 and regularly (once or twice a day) all of my Bluetooth connected devices will stop working.

I check the Bluetooth settings in Windows and it doesn't even see a Bluetooth device installed.  Restarting does not fix this.  Powering the system down for a minute or two will usually resolve the situation.

• Bluetooth is enabled in the BIOS.
      • The BIOS is up-to-date.
      • I have tried uninstalling/reinstalling the drivers (using the official Intel drivers).

When the device is detected, the Intel Driver Update software shows that its at the latest version. 

When the device is not detected (it does not show up in system devices at all), the Intel Driver Update still says its the latest version, but it says the current version is "Unknown" and the devices name is "Unknown"

• 1. Re: Bluetooth vanishes until I power cycle
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello thedevilsjester,

I understand that you are currently experiencing issues with the bluetooth* since it stops working and will not show up until a power cycle.

Regarding this, To better assist you with your request, I will need to check some information about your computer. Please follow these steps: 

1. In the keyboard, press WinLogo key + R. 
          2. In the Run box please type dxdiag and hit Enter.
          3. Click on Save All Information (save it in your desktop). 
          4. Attach the report to this thread. 

Regards,
          David V

• 2. Re: Bluetooth vanishes until I power cycle
            thedevilsjester

Here is the report, this is a report with Bluetooth working

• 3. Re: Bluetooth vanishes until I power cycle
              Intel Corporation

Hello thedevilsjester,

Thank you for your response,

I was reviewing the report and everything there seems to be OK and up to date. 

What I can now recommend you to do is to do a power cycle of the system and during the POST sequence to access the BIOS of the unit. Over there, please look for the Bluetooth* among the different options. You can check the bluetooth* by following these steps:

1. Restart PC
              2. Press F2 (while booting up) to enter the Visual BIOS
              3. Once inside the BIOS, select Advanced
              4. Under Advanced, go to the Devices tab
              5. Under the Devices tab, select Other Devices
              6. Under the Other Devices tab you should be able to see the Bluetooth*.

If it does show then it would point to a software issue, and since the driver has already been re-installed and uninstalled, the best option at this point would be to do a full re-installation of the Operating System. Of course, only if possible.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
              David V

• 4. Re: Bluetooth vanishes until I power cycle
                thedevilsjester

As I already stated in the original post, Bluetooth shows up and is checked in the BIOS screen.

It took me over a month to get this setup and configured, there is no chance that I am going to reinstall the OS on the off chance that it might fix an unknown problem.

When it happens again, I can provide another DxDiag output (during the failure period) if that will help diagnose the problem.  Unfortunately sometimes it can happen 3-4 times in a day and sometimes it doesn't happen at all.  I have not really determined any rhyme or reason.

One minute my Bluetooth devices are working perfectly and the next moment the OS does not even know that there is a Bluetooth chip installed.

• 5. Re: Bluetooth vanishes until I power cycle
                  Intel Corporation

Hello thedevilsjester,

I understand your position, however I am mentioning to do a re-installation because it has shown under the BIOS of the unit, which means that the system is recognizing the hardware. Up to this point, the best that can be done is to try re-installing the Operating System.

I am not saying to reformat the driver or delete your data; however, if it was possible and you had a spare drive you can use with the system, you can try a fresh install of the Operating System and then test it that way.

Regards,
                  David V

• 6. Re: Bluetooth vanishes until I power cycle
                    thedevilsjester

I don't see how getting information from a working state is very useful.  The fact that it shows up in the BIOS and in DxDiag when its working does not really say much.  I will try and get information from DxDiag and the BIOS the next time it fails to see if it still shows up correctly then.

• 7. Re: Bluetooth vanishes until I power cycle
                      Intel Corporation

Hello thedevilsjester,

Thank you for your response.

What happens is that the unit is being recognized in the BIOS. This means that the bluetooth* hardware is recognized by the system but perhaps Windows* is not being able to manage it appropriately. That is the reason why I mentioned to re-install the Operating System.

Regards,
                      David V

• 8. Re: Bluetooth vanishes until I power cycle
                        thedevilsjester

Computers are deterministic.  This means that for any given input, the same output will result.  What this means, practically speaking, is that if I reinstalled Windows one hundred different times, it would be the same exact install, with the same exact software/drivers installed in the same exact way, every time.

This is already, for all intents and purposes, a clean/fresh install of Windows.  There are only Intel drivers installed, there is no additional hardware or invasive software installed.  The only software installed is software that has no impact on the system and would have to be re-installed for me to be able to actually test that its working again anyway.

To Reiterate: If I restart Windows (a full reboot) it still does not work.  I can restart Windows a dozen times and it does not work.  However if I power cycle (keeping it off for 30 seconds or more) then it works, every time.  This is indicative of a hardware issue, not a software issue.  If it were a software issue then a reboot would be enough.

I wonder if the chip is overheating.  The CPU usage on the Nuc is regularly (almost constantly) high.  Not high enough to spin the fans at full speed (that happens only occasionally) but it definitly doesn't let the Nuc rest.  I wonder if its getting too hot inside the little case for the Bluetooth chip, but the CPU is not hot enough the kick the fans on.

• 9. Re: Bluetooth vanishes until I power cycle
                          Intel Corporation

Hello thedevilsjester,

Thank you for your response.

I have sent you a private message.

Regards,
                          David V

• 10. Re: Bluetooth vanishes until I power cycle
                            thedevilsjester

If I wanted to replace the unit and cross my fingers in hopes that it fixes the problem, I would have done so already.

I thought that purchasing a device made by Intel meant that I would get a quality product with the support of one of the biggest tech companies behind it.  This exchange has not given me that impression.

• 11. Re: Bluetooth vanishes until I power cycle
                              Intel Corporation

Hello thedevilsjester,

I am more than willing to work with you in solving this.

I understand that the process of doing a clean install of the Operating System is tedious but this is a best effort support. We are working with you to reach a solution for your product's issue. 

It is true that computers are "deterministic", but at the same time, a corrupted Operating System, even though you have all of the drivers installed, can give you errors, even the Bluetooth* itself could be failing, that is the reason why we would like you to go through this step. 

I hope this helps.

Regards,
                              David V

• 12. Re: Bluetooth vanishes until I power cycle
                                thedevilsjester

If someone had a problem with a lock on their door, would you suggest that they bulldoze the entire house and rebuild it just in case it was a "corrupted House"?  Yes there is clearly a small problem with a single component of the house, but the extreme case should follow only if all other, more reasonable, solutions have been exhausted.

Microsoft has a utility that can verify that every Windows System file is not corrupted.  It can do this without reinstalling the OS.  If such a utility reports that everything is ok, what do you imagine could be corrupted?

Keep in mind that this is already a fresh Windows installation that has no additional hardware, drivers, or other intrusive software (such as anti-virus, security, etc...)  It has never been used to browse the web or download nefarious software, and its connection to the internet is limited to checking for Operating System and Driver updates.

• 13. Re: Bluetooth vanishes until I power cycle
                                  Intel Corporation

Hello thedevilsjester,

I have sent you a private message.

Regards,
                                  David V

• 14. Re: Bluetooth vanishes until I power cycle
                                    thedevilsjester

I will read your private message but I thought I should mention that I took a DxDiag report when the Bluetooth failed recently, and its identical to the original one except its missing the Bluetooth adapter.  Unfortunately when I shut the computer down to check the BIOS, Windows had recent updates to apply so it took a few minutes (and a couple restarts), and by that time, Bluetooth worked again, so I could not get an accurate check in the BIOS during a failure event.

1 2 Previous Next