1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on May 15, 2018 3:48 PM by Intel Corporation

Dell XPS 8500 destop Win7 - Uninstall RST to dual boot with Linux?

Tremolux

I'm new here and I hope this is the right forum for this question. I have 5-6 year old Dell XPS 8500 desktop PC, Win7 Home Premium, Core i7-3440 @ 3.40Ghz, 12Gb RAM, H77 chipset board, 32Gb SSD cache drive that is paired with a 2Tb HDD using Intel RST.

I wanted to do a dual boot setup using Win7 with a Linux distribution. The problem is with this hybrid cache system, it's nearly impossible to do with Intel RST installed and running. I can boot up a live session of Linux using a USB flashdrive, but the Linux installer will crash when I try to install. It apparently doesn't 'see' or find any drive to install on. From what I understand, there is nothing installed on the 32Gb SSD, it is used merely as a read/write cache to boost overall system speed in conjunction with the 2Tg HDD.

My BIOS is current at version A13.

SATA MODE is RAID

SECURE BOOT STATE is Disabled

LOAD LEGACY OPROM is [Enabled]

BOOT MODE is [Legacy]

I've tried changing SATA MODE to AHCI through editing the Registry and going into the BIOS, but then Win7 won't boot up. So I changed everything back and booted up fine.

Question: Is there any way to uninstall IRST fully and bypass the 32Gb SSD so Win7 boots directly from the 2Tb HDD? I don't care if my PC runs a bit slower without the 'benefits' of IRST & the 32Gb SSD caching system. Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated.

1 2 Previous Next