Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 supports only A and G Radio Type after latest drivers update

idata
Employee

Hello team,

Apparently the current card Intel DB-AC 7260 which is installed in one of our industrial computers would connect only to A standard. If I Enable only G standard, the card does not see any network even though AP has A/B/G and N enabled. However, my cell phone and laptops around me, connect to N standard to the same AP with no issue.

These are the things I tried to do so far:

1. Changed antenna rubber dock 2.4GHz for flat 5GHz
  2. Changed a port on the card from port 1 to 2 and back – no difference
  3. Enabled only G standard for 802.11 a/b/g together with N standard for 802.11 n/ac – problems, cannot see any network
  4. Enabled only A standard for 802.11 a/b/g together with N standard for 802.11 n/ac – got connection but unstable, ping jumps from 1ms to 300-400ms

Here are some screen shots of the problems:

I need to mentioned, unit hasn't been moved around at all, it's placed on the desk.

Once Wireless mode is enabled on a/g standard together with N standard, with 2.4GHz rubber dock antenna, it connects again to A standard and pings are not stable. The signal jumps from 99% down to 79% and back to 99%.

If I connect flat 5GHz antenna, the card does not switch to N standard but stays on A – ping is stable.

here is the proof I have a latest drivers installed:

Thanks for the support!

thanks,

0 Kudos
7 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello piSSko,

We understand you are experiencing connectivity issues on a desktop system using the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260. After updating to the latest drivers, you're experiencing stability issues on the 5 GHz band.

In order to investigate this problem, we would like some more information:

1. What is your wireless access point brand and model?
  2. Are you broadcasting both (2.4 and 5 GHz) bands separately or as one SSID?
  3. Could you please share more information regarding your external antennas?
  4. Please share a system report created using the Intel® System Support Utility.
    1. Download the latest https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293 Intel® SSU
    2. While connected to your WiFi network, run the scan for "everything."
    3. Save and name the report.
  5. Wireless Autoconfig report
    1. In the search box on the taskbar, type Command prompt, press and hold (or right-click) Command prompt, and then select Run as administrator > Yes.
    2. Enter: netsh wlan show wlanreport
    3. Go to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WlanReport\
    4. Upload the wlan-report-latest.html file along with your reply.

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee
  1. What is your wireless access point brand and model?

Ruckus 7782 omni
  2. Are you broadcasting both (2.4 and 5 GHz) bands separately or as one SSID?

No, they are broadcasted on the same SSID which is hidden.
  3. Could you please share more information regarding your external antennas?

Antenna is rubber duck 3dBi RP-TNC, http://www.l-com.com/wireless-antenna-24-ghz-3-dbi-rubber-duck-antenna-rp-tnc-connector http://www.l-com.com/wireless-antenna-24-ghz-3-dbi-rubber-duck-antenna-rp-tnc-connector
  4. Please share a system report created using the Intel® System Support Utility.
    1. Download the latest https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293 Intel® SSU
    2. While connected to your WiFi network, run the scan for "everything."
    3. Save and name the report.

Attached.

5. Wireless Autoconfig report
    1. In the search box on the taskbar, type Command prompt, press and hold (or right-click) Command prompt, and then select Run as administrator > Yes.
    2. Enter: netsh wlan show wlanreport
    3. Go to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WlanReport\
    4. Upload the wlan-report-latest.html file along with your reply.

This command was not recognized by cmd in WIndows 7 embedded

Please check below screen shots for netsh wlan show interfaces and netsh wlan show drivers

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello piSSko,

Thanks for the information, and don't worry, the WLAN Report doesn't work Windows* 7.

There are some mismatched settings in your SSU report, we'd like to start by performing a clean installation followed by our recommended settings:

1. Download and save the https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005559/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html latest driver (skip if still saved).

2. Go to Control Panel > Programs and Features then uninstall the Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software. Choose to discard settings.

3. Go to Device Manager > Network Adapters > Right click on your Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 and choose to Uninstall.

4. Restart.

5. Install the drivers.

After this, set the following advanced settings:

1. Enable Bluetooth® AMP, or disable Bluetooth® adapter.

2. Channel Width

1. For 2.4 GHz Band: 20 MHz

2. For 5 GHz Band: Auto

3. 802.11n/ac Wireless Mode: 802.11n

4. Roaming Aggressiveness: 1. Lowest

5. 802.11a/b/g Wireless Mode: 1. Dual Band 802.11a/b/g

Also:

1. Is it possible for you to test your connection with both bands using separate SSIDs (still hidden)

2. Also for testing purposes try selecting to broadcast the SSIDs (try both separate and combined), and less us know if it makes a difference.

If the issue continues, please share a new SSU report and netsh wlan show drivers output for us to engage our additional support.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Carlos,

thanks for your advice. I have reinstalled drivers and looks now supported radios are b,g,n and a. Still, what confuses me is that the client connects to the A standard with single band antenna 2.4GHz. Not sure how that's possible.

Why would you recommend Roaming aggressiveness to be set to lowest? Would you be able to provide me with RSSI values for each state? For instance, if set to lowest, does that mean client will not roam until it reaches signal as low as -70dBm?

One more question, which connector is recommended an antenna to be connected to, connector 1 or 2 or it does not matter?

thanks,

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello piSSko,

We're very glad to hear the issue has been resolved.

As far as your antenna goes, I don't have a definitive answer, but it's possible that yours is "tuned for 2.4 GHz frequencies" rather than "exclusive" for this band. Perhaps the hardware vendor can provide more insight on this.

We do recommend to use both antennas for better performance whenever possible, keeping in mind that this is a 2x2 adapter. But if you only have one antenna available, for this adapter model, we can recommend connecting it to your 1/Main connector (MAIN = Wi-FI + Bluetooth®, AUX= Wi-Fi).

For environments where there is a single access point we recommend choosing 1. Lowest for your roaming aggressiveness. This effectively disables automatic roaming, unless there is a severe signal degradation (you can always roam manually, of course). This helps increase your throughput as the adapter won't need to scan for better networks when there won't be any available. https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005546/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html More info.

We hope this helps.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you Carlos!

The unit itself comes with only one antenna. I will be ordering dual band antennas soon and will test them out.

My environment is with around 100 APs. What roaming settings would you recommend, Mid or High?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello piSSko,

You can choose "highest" if you use this system for something that is very sensitive to latency and you cannot afford a sub-optimal connection.

For most other uses that do require automatic roaming, you may choose one of our Medium (medium-low, medium, medium-high) options.

If this computer will not be moved, like a desktop, then lowest, or medium-low, will be best. In this scenario it's unlikely that the "best AP" will change.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos