Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

R1208SPOSHOR won't boot, no video, stopped at POST code 78h "DXE ACPI Init"

jkuro
Novice

I have one R1208SPOSHOR system that, after a BIOS/FW/etc update to the latest version and a reset to defaults, won't come back up again.

Symptoms observed:

• No VGA video output
  • Rear System Status LED gets to a solid Green
  • Amber/Green Diagnostic LEDs stopped at [Amber]0111 [Green]1000, Code 78h for "DXE ACPI Init"
  • We can't access the IPMI/BMC interfaces remotely via their dedicated NICs (it comes up via DHCP, but we can't login)

This was recently updated, along with 9 other R1208SPOSHOR systems of identical config, to BIOS 03.01.0028, ME 04.01.04.054, BMC 01.12.11072, and FRUSDR V0.26.

We've left this system running after boot for about a week just to see if it would do anything other than sit at "DXE ACPI Init", but no progress.

We've tried forced recovery of the BIOS and even the BMC and ME, but we just can't seem to get this system to show us anything on console to even give us a hint as to why it gets stuck in POST where it does.

Any ideas? Is there some recovery procedure I've missed? A Technical Advisory?

In the meanwhile, I'll try to regain login access to the IPMI/BMC interfaces.

--Jon

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Henry_A_Intel
Employee

Hello JonKuroda,

I am sorry for the problems you have encountered with the system not booting up.

Could you please provide me with the CPU model and also the Memory Model been use and the number of the memory chips.

Also, if you could remove all memory and reset the BIOS to default using the board jumper on page 71 from the https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/server-products/S1200SP_TPS_AllSKU.PDF TPS.

Then turn on the system and listen for beep codes.

Also was the system working before, where there any changes were done to the system, like new hardware added or removed. BIOS updated.

If there is anything else we can help please feel free to ask.

Best regards,

Henry A.

0 Kudos
jkuro
Novice

Hi Henry

I'll get to the rest when I get back into the office, but to answer your last questions:

> Also was the system working before, where there any changes were done to the system, like new hardware added or removed. BIOS updated.

Yes, this system was working and had been for over a year. "After a BIOS/FW/etc update to the latest version and a reset to defaults", it will not come back up. The other 9 identical systems had the same BIOS/Firmware update and came back up, just not this one.

Best, Jon

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello JonKuroda,

Thank you for the updated information. Then if 1 out of 10 has the problem. I will start to clear the CMOS and Reset Defaults.

To Clear CMOS, Remove the power from the system, then wait about 30 seconds and press and hold the power button for 20 seconds.

Then use the jumper to reset the CMOS.

Connect the power and try rebooting the system.

Also, you might want to test the system without memory to see if you get a series of beeps at power on.

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello JonKuroda,

I just wanted to follow up and see if you were able to run the troubleshooting steps recommended to do.

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos