3 Replies Latest reply on May 12, 2018 11:09 AM by kreion123

I7 8700 non K high temperature

kreion123

123444.png41141441.png

My PC specs:

Seasonic M12II-620 EVO Edition Bronze 620W-PSU

Segotep Fighter C Black-Red-case

Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 16GB DDR4 3000MHz CL15 Dual Channel Kit-memory

SSD ADATA SX7000 256GB PCI Express 3.0 x4 M.2 2280

MSI Z370 SLI PLUS-motherboard

Intel Coffee Lake, Core i7 8700 3.20GHz box with default cooler

I have a problem with temperatures on my configuration. When I perform a stress test , the temperatures are quite high. I will attach two print screens in which you can see the actual temperatures while running the Intel stress test and the Prime 95 stress test. Now, the problem may be because I have the stock cooler, which I don't think it's appropriate for this CPU, as the TDP goes up to ~90W while performing a hard task for the CPU, as a stress test or exporting 100 RAW pictures from Lightroom to desktop while converting them into smaller JGEGs.

I have triple checked the cooler, it is well mounted, the airflow in the case is decent as I have one 120mm fan that sucks air in and 2 x 120mm fans that blow air outside. Do you think a new cooler will solve the problem, or do I have to worry that I have a defective chip, or it has something to do with the voltage of the CPU as it is running about 4.3GHz in turbo mode? I also want to specify that I need the CPU to run COOL at 4.3GHz at all 6 cores as I am a photographer and video editor. Thank you and I hope I will receive a satisfying answer.

Message was edited by: Andrei Prigoreanu

• 1. Re: I7 8700 non K high temperature
          N.Scott.Pearson

Sorry Andrei, but you are not seeing abnormally high temperatures. While readings into the 90's are a bit concerning, they are not damaging and not unexpected when you place a 100% load on the processor for some period of time.

What I would like to know is what your fans are doing at the same time. According to specifications, your processor fan(s), in the absence of other information, are supposed to operate at full speed (100% duty cycle) if the temperature is at or above the processor's Tcontrol temperature threshold (which is specific to each individual processor but is typically in the low to mid 80's). If the fan speed control programming (typically managed within BIOS Setup) is not meeting this recommendation, then you have some wiggle room here to improve the situation by modifying this programming to achieve this goal. Further, if, after making this change, you still see temperatures rising significantly above this threshold, you should take steps to lower the ambient temperature within the chassis using the chassis cooling fans. Some fan speed control solutions support an "All-On" threshold that, when exceeded, causes the other fans in the system to respond as well. Alas, this capability is not well implemented in the Super I/O-based fan speed control implementations that are most commonly used in desktop designs.

Keeping temperatures at levels well below the Tcontrol threshold or keeping temperatures at the Tcontrol threshold using lowered (quieter) fan speeds will require a change in the processor cooling solution. There are heatpipe and water-cooled solutions that can raise the efficiency of the thermal dissipation. Note that the fan speed control programming used with these solutions should be the same: the fan(s) -- or pump(s) -- should reach full speed (100% duty cycle) when the temperature is at or above the Tcontrol threshold.

If you want to know what your Desktop processor's Tcontrol temperature is, read the IA32 Temperature Target MSR (address 0x01A2). Bits 16-23 specify the processor's Maximum Junction Temperature (Tjmax) and bits 8-15 specify the processor's Tcontrol Offset. Subtract the Tcontrol Offset from the Tjmax value to get the Tcontrol temperature threshold. If you don't have a program that can display MSRs, I use a freeware tool called RWEverything.

Note that, if the Tcontrol Offset is 0 (zero), a Tcontrol temperature is not being provided for the processor. This will be the case for most Mobile and Embedded processors, which we are seeing used more and more often in smaller form factor Desktop system designs. I consider this unfortunate because the only number that you then have to work with is Tjmax. In this case, you will need to create an artificial Tcontrol Offset some distance below Tjmax. It has been a number of generations since I was involved in formal testing of these kinds of designs to establish a good artificial Tcontrol Offset (since I am retired). For the Haswell and Broadwell NUC designs, we used a default offset of 17 degrees. You could use this as your starting point if you wish.

Hope this helps,

...S

• 2. Re: I7 8700 non K high temperature
            Intel Corporation
            This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello kreion123, 

I was wondering if you were able to read the information provided by N. Scott Pearson. It would be great if you could share your thoughts with us. 

Wanner G.  

• 3. Re: I7 8700 non K high temperature
              kreion123

I have no idea what he is talking about

Kidding, what I can tell you is that my motherboard can easily put 4,3 GHz on this monster CPU, but the heat is too high. I will try to buy an aftermarket cooler, because what I understood was that the CPU TDP is too high at 4,3 GHz for this type of cooler. For the moment, I will sale for a Hyper 212 EVO and give it a try in a few weeks.