2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 12, 2007 2:30 PM by T_Lawless

November 12th - 18th

This week we plan on discussing the future of High Performance Computing. If you have any specific questions, please let us know, and we will try to incorporate them into the upcoming content.

• 1. November 12 Launch of New Intel Chip

Hi my name is Heather, I was at Gold's Gym today and I saw on the stock market channel the announcement of Intels launch of a new chip

the name of the chip started with the letters Hafn. the chip was Launched today. does anyone know the full name of the new intel chip?

I want to e-mail my husband today what the name of it is so that he can inform his project manager about it. if anybody knows the full name

of the new intel chip I would appreciate it.

thank you

• 2. Re: November 12 Launch of New Intel Chip

Hi Heather.  Thanks for your question!

First a quick clarification of what you saw this morning (I know how the TVs at the gym can be...)     The word you heard was Hafnium, but that is not the name of our new chip.  Intel did announce a new processor today (in fact, 13 flavors of it), based on a brand new manufacturing method, or 'process technology'.  We made some significant advancements with this new way of making computer chips, including the use of an element called Hafnium.  Hafnium is a metal (#72 on the periodic table) that Intel is now using it in our transistors to dramatically reduce energy waste. It's being called the biggest change in transistor technology in 40 years.

The name of the new chips are the Quad-Core Intel® Xeon® processor 5400 series. 

If you are interested in more information on the new processors, check out the Server Product Page

If you would like more information on the new process technology, including how Hafnium is used, see: http://www.intel.com/technology/45nm

And, in case you want to know more about the element Hafnium, a good source of info is this page on the Los Alamos National Labs website.

Hope that helps!