2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 17, 2018 9:14 AM by Intel Corporation

    Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3168NGW ridiculously slow in linux

    DroidFreak32

      I am using Manjaro KDE with the 4.14.34-1-MANJARO kernel. I also have Windows 10 dual booted.

      When I connect to my the internet via WiFi, I get speeds like 4kBps with ocassional timeouts in speedtest.net.

      Heres the info of lshw:

      *-network

          description: Wireless interface

          product: Intel Corporation

          vendor: Intel Corporation

          physical id: 0

          bus info: pci@0000:03:00.0

          logical name: wlp3s0

          version: 10

          serial: a0:af:bd:a3:ff:02

          width: 64 bits

          clock: 33MHz

          capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless

          configuration: broadcast=yes driver=iwlwifi driverversion=4.14.34-1-MANJARO firmware=29.610311.0 ip=192.168.1.102 latency=0 link=yes multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11

          resources: irq:131 memory:b4000000-b4001fff

         

      As you can see I have the firmware v29. So the fw is updated.

      When I switch back to windows I get my full speed (1 mBps) so windows is unaffected.

      I tried running another distro (Ubuntu 17.10) from a LiveUSB and there too the speeds are tremendously slow.

       

      Now if I connect my phone to the same wifi, and use USB thethering to connect my laptop to the internet, the speed is what I expect (1mBps) which I think confirms that it is probably the linux driver thats having trouble.

       

      My laptop is the Acer Aspire A515-51G having the 8th gen Intel i5.

       

      I have also tried switching to another router and the speed is still slow. (~4kBps)

       

      It's really frustrating to have to usb thether my phone every time I use the internet so I can even browse smoothly.

       

      please tell me how can I go about solving this.. because on windows I have NO problems whatsoever. It's only linux distros causing issues.

      Edit: Even pinging to my router is unrealisticly slow

       

      PING 192.168.1.1 (192.168.1.1) 56(84) bytes of data.

      64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=1 ttl=255 time=4.60 ms

      64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=2 ttl=255 time=1.47 ms

      64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=6 ttl=255 time=3.04 ms

      64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=7 ttl=255 time=1.43 ms

      64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=18 ttl=255 time=68.5 ms

      64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=19 ttl=255 time=2.46 ms

      64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=20 ttl=255 time=2.09 ms

      64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=21 ttl=255 time=1.98 ms

      64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=22 ttl=255 time=1.49 ms

      64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=23 ttl=255 time=1.48 ms

      64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=24 ttl=255 time=1.31 ms

      64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=25 ttl=255 time=1.43 ms

      64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=26 ttl=255 time=1.43 ms

      64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=32 ttl=255 time=63.3 ms

      64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=33 ttl=255 time=2.10 ms

      64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=34 ttl=255 time=1.28 ms

      64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=35 ttl=255 time=1.75 ms

      64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=36 ttl=255 time=1.13 ms

      ^C

      --- 192.168.1.1 ping statistics ---

      36 packets transmitted, 18 received, 50% packet loss, time 35276ms

      rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 1.137/9.023/68.543/20.155 ms

      Just see the delay and packet loss

       

      Message was edited by: Rushab Shah