13 Replies Latest reply on Apr 26, 2018 6:32 AM by rob335

NUC6i7KYK driver issues.  Not restarting or turning off correctly

rob335

Hi

I just installed Win10 on a NUC6I7KYK and it has taken me hours to get an install that works properly.

I joined the forum to outline my problems to see if the issues I am facing are known or perhaps I have a faulty device.

The issue is the NUC not shutting down correctly.

Windows goes through the shutdown process and the screen goes black but the power light stays lit on the NUC

It will not restart either. I have figured out it’s not restarting because it’s not actually shutting down fully.

My first install of Win10 I let windows install the drivers from the internet and this problem occurred so reinstalled the OS and did not connect to the internet.

I installed the drivers one by one downloaded from the Intel site I had on a flash drive.

The worst thing is a couple of the Intel drivers also caused the no restarting issue. I now have all the devices in the device manager installed but I have not installed the Intel graphics driver because it causes the shutdown/restart issue.

I am now using the generic MS graphics driver.

So has anyone else seen or heard of this?

I am a bit concerned that my unit is defective as I cannot find anything on the internet about this issue and by the fact that Intel’s own driver seems to contribute to the issue..

Thanks

Rob

edit ..    Win10 just reinstalled the Intel graphics driver automatically and once again it will not shutdown/restart.

I have rolled back to generic driver and NUC restarts correctly.

Also I have tried bios update, once through Windows and once through F7 and both times bios update failed..

• 1. Re: NUC6i7KYK driver issues.  Not restarting or turning off correctly
          lw1948

Hello Rob,

Installing Windows 10 64 bit (clean installation), shall take not more that 15 minutes on your NUC. Before Windows 10 installation I suggest to update your Bios to the latest version and to set Bios to default settings.

Follow those steps to update your Bios using Power Button Menu recovery option:

1. Prepare USB stick fully formatted to FAT32 (disable quick format option during format). Save the Bios file KY0053.bio Download BIOS Update [KYSKLi70.86A]  on this stick and insert it into USB slot (NUC shall be OFF).
          2. Press Power Button for about 3 seconds. You should release the Power Button soon as the power led changes color from blue to amber. NUC will reboot into Power Button Menu.
          3. Press F4 and the recovery shall start.
          4. When the recovery finishes, pull out the power cord.
          5. Replace the power cord and press Power Button to switch the computer to ON.
          6. Enter Bios setting by pressing F2 during boot process.
          7. Press F9(followed by "Y"), to set Bios to default settings. Press F10 (followed by "Y"), to save the settings and exit to O.S. Let the NUC fully reboot.
          8. You can enter again to Bios setting to change the necessary settings.

Note:
          If for some reason you have difficulty to boot into Power Button Menu, you shall recover your Bios using Security Jumper method BIOS Recovery Update Instructions for Intel® NUC

After your Bios is updated you may install Windos 10 64bit (relevant version to license you have) , using Media Installation USB Download Windows 10  . Follow the steps in the following tutorial: Windows 10 Help Forums  . You shall chose the UEFI installation. And yes, start the installation without internet connected. Connect the internet after you have the Windows installed and the Intel Network driver installed.

The NUC drivers download here: Downloads for Intel® NUC Kit NUC6i7KYK  . Install drivers manually. Start with the chipset driver and then Management Engine driver. Reboot your NUC. Now, install all other drivers (the sequence is not important). You need to reboot your NUC only once, after the last driver was installed.

Leon

• 2. Re: NUC6i7KYK driver issues.  Not restarting or turning off correctly
            rob335

Hi Leon

I have already installed Windows twice now.

I don’t really want to go through it all again right now.

I have all devices listed as installed in the device manager but I am not going to install the Intel graphics driver again as it prevents my NUC from restarting/shutting down.

I haven’t really tested the NUC for performance yet as I am so fatigued by the whole install driver / restart / doesn’t restart / restore / install driver again business.

I will follow your steps if I have performance isssues.

So to my earlier question.

Has this issue been seen before?

I should have mentioned the fan also stays on when the issue occurs.

Rob

• 3. Re: NUC6i7KYK driver issues.  Not restarting or turning off correctly
              N.Scott.Pearson

You didn't answer the question. Have you installed the latest available BIOS release?

• 4. Re: NUC6i7KYK driver issues.  Not restarting or turning off correctly
                lw1948

Hi Rob,

You have written that it taken you hours to install Windows and have your NUC working. In addition you are not be able to install graphic driver to work correctly. You have to understand that probably some thing was wrong in your installation. That why I've proposed to recover (rather than simply updating with F7) your Bios with the latest one. In addition I've proposed to start with default Bios settings (which is always the save side).

If are you sure that your Windows is installed as should be don't start the installation again, however look only into the tutorial I've send, to verify your installation method.

Leon

• 5. Re: NUC6i7KYK driver issues.  Not restarting or turning off correctly
                  rob335

As I mentioned I tried twice to update the bios. Once through windows and once through F7 method.

Both failed.

I did the F4 procedure that Leon suggested and that completed so I think I am up to date..

However the graphics driver still keeps preventing the NUC from shutting down so I am still on the Microsoft generic driver.

I am in Australia btw which is why my replies might be longer than expected.

Rob

• 6. Re: NUC6i7KYK driver issues.  Not restarting or turning off correctly
                    rob335

Ok I was having performance issues. I was using the NUC as an audio server over ethernet to extend the capabilities of my main recording studio computer and the performance was way below what my 5 year old laptop can do.

Clicks and pops all over the place on a light load so I reinstalled Windows10 again.

I followed Leon’s instructions to the letter and when I got to the graphics driver I am back where I was yesterday with the NUC not shutting down or restarting.

Yesterday I originally installed Win 10 via an external usb DVD drive.

I ended up with 4 partitions in the process. System reserve.. recovery.. main partition and one other I can’t remember.

This time I installed via usb flash drive but was not confident to delete the previous partitions.

Could this be the issue that I should have installed from usb flash from the very first install?

I am not an expert by any means but I have installed Win 98, XP and Win 7 many many times and Win10 successfully a few times now.

I thought the NUC was well within my skill level.

Rob

• 7. Re: NUC6i7KYK driver issues.  Not restarting or turning off correctly
                      lw1948

Hi Rob,

I'm sorry that reinstalling Windows and Bios update didn't help. I have still some comments about this:

1. Did you set Bios to default settings (see my post #1 above, para 7)?

2. Yes, when installing Windows from USB on system with UEFI bios, you should have delete the old partition (as directed in para 13.A of tutorial I've given the link to). The new partition defined during installation shall consist of (see para 13.B of the tutorial):

- Recover

- System

- MSR

- Primary

Any way in my opinion, I don't believe that this may cause your problem

I was checking on net for this problem - Windows 10 wont shut down and founded this: Fix "Windows 10 Won't Shut Down" after Creators Update | Driver Talent  . I thing that "way 2- Uncheck the Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" and "way 3 - Uncheck the Turn on fast startup option to disable the hybrid shutdown"  are worthy to try.

To get more information about your system I propose the following:

- Download Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool Download Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool  and run the test. This will give you idea on CPU performance (including graphics)

- Press Window button + X and then press Run. In the opened windows write and run command: dxdiag  . Save the results and attach the txt file to your post.

- Download Intel Support Utility Download Intel® System Support Utility for Windows*  and execute the SSU.exe . Click Scan to see system and device information. Attach the result to your post

Having the above information, if not me, some body else will be able to help you.

Leon

• 8. Re: NUC6i7KYK driver issues.  Not restarting or turning off correctly
                        rob335

Thanks Leon

I am just about to install the drivers again for the 4th time.

I deleted those partitions this time no trouble.

Yes I have set the bios to defaults.

I am not yet on the Fall Creator,  I am on a version of Win10 I downloaded from MS a few weeks back. 1709 is the file name of the ISO I am using.

I have to say I didn’t follow your link for the drivers because I presumed it would be the same link I downloaded my drivers from which was the Intel website.

I downloaded a zip file called Win10 bundled for the NUC6I7KYK.

Also one of those drivers did not install and said it was not for my platform.

I can’t remember which particular driver that was but I’ll be comparing them to the ones you pointed me to and I’ll write back in half an hour or so and let you know how I get on.

If I have no luck I will download those diagnostics and post the results.

Thanks for the help.

Rob

• 9. Re: NUC6i7KYK driver issues.  Not restarting or turning off correctly
                          N.Scott.Pearson

1709 *is* the Fall Creator's Update!

Just saying,

...S

• 10. Re: NUC6i7KYK driver issues.  Not restarting or turning off correctly
                            lw1948

Hi Rob,

This link I've given you is to Intel site and specially for driver set for NUC6i7KYK Downloads for Intel® NUC Kit NUC6i7KYK  . You should download drivers from this link.

Leon

• 11. Re: NUC6i7KYK driver issues.  Not restarting or turning off correctly
                              rob335

OK

I am done.

This is the 5th install of Windows and the graphics driver just will not work properly.

I just installed an older version of Win 10 just in case it was the Fall creator version that was at fault and the graphics driver from Intel wouldn't even install this time.

I installed the wifi driver and let windows update the graphics driver and sure enough no shutdown no restart.

Then I get this..

Dropbox - IMG_0015.MOV

Yesterday with the Fall creator version I had this

Dropbox - IMG_0011.JPG

How do I submit a claim for replacement?

Rob

• 12. Re: NUC6i7KYK driver issues.  Not restarting or turning off correctly
                                N.Scott.Pearson

I have seen this kind of issue before. In my case, the problem was caused by the HDMI-to-VGA adapter that I was using. In fact, I have both HDMI-to-DVI and HDMI-to-VGA adapters that cause problems like this (not only pixelization but also flashing screen, regular monitor resets, etc.). I suggest that you try a different adapter. Also, remember that, if you use a good DisplayPort adapter, it is possible to get 4K@60Hz output.

If this doesn't work, you need to set up an RMA to have the unit replaced - and this requires that you directly contact Intel Customer Support (i.e. you cannot do it here). Here is contact information, by geography:

Intel Customer Support Contact Information for US and Canada

Intel Customer Support Contact Information for Europe, Middle East and Africa

Intel Customer Support Contact Information for Asia-Pacific

Intel Customer Support Contact Information for Latin America

I cannot recommend the forms service; I read way too many reports of problems with it. Phoning them is best. You can also try using the Intel Customer Support Chat Service, but it is offered only in English and is subject to office hours (9-5 M-F) in the Pacific time zone.

Hope this helps,

...S

• 13. Re: NUC6i7KYK driver issues.  Not restarting or turning off correctly
                                  rob335

I just want to say thanks for the help around here and thanks to Intel.

I spoke to the rep on the phone and he listened to everything I had to say and I have a new one on it's way, sent today and I should have it next week sometime.

Cheers

Rob